University of Georgia Lamar Dodd School of Art - Graphic Design

I was hoping for some assistance from anyone who’s been through the Graphic Design application process and portfolio review or has knowledge of it. I visited campus for the first time this week and loved the school. I was accepted as a Pre-Art major with an intended concentration in GD. We walked over to the Dodd School of Art after our official tour and spoke to someone at the front desk in the GD department. Maybe she was having a bad day but she wasn’t very friendly, even after we introduced ourselves and apologized if we were interrupting her day. She immediately said “sorry, no tours today” even though we had not asked her any questions. After asking several times about the GD evaluation criteria, she mentioned that the GD program accepts less than 50% of (18 of around 45) applicants, mainly because there just isn’t enough room to include everyone. She also told us that I can apply at the end of my freshman year. My mom and dad asked a few more questions but she didn’t offer much more than that in terms of how the process works nor did she offer to put us in touch with someone who might know more. She seemed more interested in looking at her computer than interacting with us. Not a great way to sell the program IMHO. I emailed the department chair on our ride home and haven’t heard back. Hard to find info online so figured I would ask here.

After the campus tour, UGA shot to the top of my list. But I have no desire to attend a school for 1 and 1/2 years only to find I am not able to pursue the degree I am interested in. Trying not to let our interaction with a representative from the department impact my view of the school since the rest of my experience was awesome, but it’s hard considering she was the only person we spoke to.