University of Miami Early Action 2026

Accepted into Business!!!
6.2 W
3.8 UW
No test scores

Do you think we can negotiate merit? I got accepted and offered 12k a year.

Some schools yes some no. Depends on the leverage you have. If you have another school with a better offer you can try to get them to match it but truth is with the number of students applying and deferred in the mix they may not have any reason to say yes.

Ok, thanks. At least there’s hope

So let me get this straight
I am not good enough for Early Action, but if I go Early Decision II I am good enough? So I have to commit without any idea of cost? If I am not good enough for Early Action, shouldn’t you just deny me? Never mind, I got it

5 Likes

That is a very good point!!

Exactly!!! It’s not just yield protection. It’s business. Period!!

2 Likes

D22 OOS deferred business
3.9/4.1
Strong essays, solid EC’s, 4 yr varsity athlete

There is a letter of acceptance. There is an additional letter attachment that you have to open that describes the scholarship and a 3rd letter that shows the entire financial picture.

1 Like

Thanks for responding!

Accepted. OOS. 1400 SAT.
Strong essays, 3.8 all APs and honors.
Visited, and did lots of demonstrated interest.

ED2 is a give-up on merit opportunity. There are so many other good colleges that don’t play this game. Money grab strategy. Approx sticker price of $75k a year is a lot of money for undergraduates.

2 Likes

Any idea what the GPA range is for acceptance in ED II? I have no confidence of being accepted in RD and seriously considering ED II recognizing we will be full pay. This seems like our only chance of getting into any our top 4 choices. Even our easy target school deferred us. Record amount of applications everywhere including our 5th choice which we haven’t heard from yet. Another “easy target” :smiley:

Accepted to Herbert Business but no merit money. Is there a chance that can come later?

I agree. Tulane plays this game too. Only School we went to who said ED won’t make a difference to acceptance rate was GW. They said, it’s nice to know it’s your first choice, but doesn’t weigh that heavily in your qualifications. Otherwise my daughter would have ED 2 there. She ED 1 at BU and was deferred. Very frustrating.

I was suspect of Tulane’s strategy. No app fees. That inflates the volume of apps and then take it from there. We toured the campus last June. Pretty campus but neither of my sons was that impressed.

I don’t think Tulane makes any secret that they give priority to ED candidates. I have a friend whose son is there and he is a legacy. He applied ED1. When the daughter applied with better stats EA, they deferred her and told the mom if she applies ED 2 they will admit her. The daughter got mad and refused because it seemed so ridiculous. You didn’t want me a minute ago, but if I ED 2 you want me? So she didn’t and waited out USC’s decision and got in.

3 Likes

If they are still meeting your EFC (as they did last year) it won’t matter whether you’re EA or ED. My D was accepted as EA and her friend as ED and they both were given merit aid and grants to make the tuition online with our EFCs.

Miami meets EFC so if you fill out the FAFSA and CSS profile, they will offer grant or merit aid up to your EFC. Miami was actually a cheaper option than several public universities my D Applied to last year.

1 Like

College admissions has gotten ridiculously competitive in the last four years. My older D got into all the schools she applied to and my younger one got into 6 out of the 11 she applied to.

2 Likes