University of Miami- Transfer Fall 2019

Hi!

I am a freshman currently at Elon Unversity with a 3.5 GPA
I only have 16 credits right now but will be finishing the year with 3.
I am doing an internship this semester and I’ve done club activities.
my high school grades and SAT score is a little bit below average.

What are my chances of getting in?

I mean 31 credits*^

Elon and UMiami are two schools that my S is considering. Would love to hear why you would want UM over Elon now that you have done a year at Elon.

hi! I honestly like Elon, the campus is beautiful and the class sizes are pretty small the only thing that is really noticeable is the ratio because of its 65% girls, and I didn’t get into some of the classes I needed which was so annoying. One of my friends goes to UM and I visited her a lot and sat in one of her classes and everything about it socially and academically is perfect compared to how I feel at Elon. UM is a better sport school if you like going to games and stuff.

@soccer5630 As a current UM student I just want to be realistic with you…the sports are non-existent. Nobody goes to the basketball games even though they are on campus, the football games besides FSU are 35% of the student body. It actually isn’t a very good sports school in all honesty if that is important to you. I personally do not like the social scene as it is based around greek life, but again that may be a plus to you. Best of luck with your transfer application!!

@Propinquity4444 I am a freshman at Miami. I can share some insight on the school for you! To be completely honest, people’s opinions of the school completely depend on who you ask. Some people love it, love the social scene, academics, culture, etc. And others feel like it has been a disappointment and overhyped. I fall somewhere in the middle, so I do feel as though I can provide a pretty non-biased description. Hope this helps!

Weather is basically the only unanimous thing that people love here. It is basically paradise year round EXCEPT August/early September. Those are the worst. It is so hot and humid you will be sweating buckets. Aside from that the weather is great.

Academics. Very, very easy. I think they are trying to make certain majors more difficult but a few kids I know feel as though the school is significantly easier than high school.

Socially…completely depends on the person. Again every single party or social event is off campus and 95% of the parties are thrown by the fraternities. Greek life definitely rules the social scene here especially for guys. Girls can go to anything so it’s not as big though a lot of the girls I know enjoy their sororities. Two kids I knew first semester transferred out because they hated the “fake, rich, arrogant, and exclusive” party scene and people. Again those were their words, and I have no idea whether they like their new school better.

Sports. People obviously know and used to respect UM football. The stadium is not on campus and is 45 minutes away. It kills tailgating and honestly really sucks. It is the main reason people view Miami as a commuter like campus. Nobody goes or cares about the basketball games, so the main sport is football, but most non-freshman only go to the FSU game (or when they play a national draw like Notre Dame) and just pre-game/tailgate at fraternity houses.

Dorms. Oh boy. They are soooooo bad. Thank goodness they are building new ones. It is literally like living in a prison. The rooms are 2 by 4 and no matter what the “hotel towers” as admissions says, it’s prison. Most non-freshmen move off campus, so it’s basically just 1st year students living on campus.

Hope that all helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

Did you hear back from them yet?

I wasnt to transfer to UM from FIU. I got under a 2.0 gpa my first year at fiu due to my grandmother getting ill. My last 2 semesters have been 3.5 gpa. the classes that I got low grades were the common freshman classes such as science and history. The last 2 semesters were mostly business classes with the 3,5 gpa term. this fall semester I am determine to get at least a 3,5 gpa again. what do you think is my chance to get into um as a transfer for spring 2020 as a business major?

@dbotero7 did you get in?

Also did you get in @soccer5630 ? Looking to transfer as well with similar credits and I am also a freshman