University of Miami - What are the students like?

I toured University of Miami for the first time this summer, and I ended up falling in love with the campus and opportunities that UM offers. As a Florida resident, UM appeals to me because of its academic caliber, mid-range population size, and proximity to my family, being roughly two hours away from where I live. It seems to be the best option available to me, and I would really love to go there. I applied Early Action, and will find out the decision in about two or three weeks.

What’s been sitting at the back of my mind, however, is question of the type of students that attend the school. I have heard a lot of rumors about a rich, snobbish atmosphere, but I also hear a lot about the quality of the medical and architecture schools, so I figure that there has to exist a body of intellectual-type people who go there. I currently attend one of the most prestigious high schools in the US, sitting around #15 (although at one point it was #3) for most rigorous education, and #1 in the state for academic quality. I have grown accustomed to being around very focused, competitive-minded individuals who place education as a top priority. (My social circle is entirely made up of just about the nerdiest kids around, but those at my school who aren’t as academically intelligent and are more socially-driven are still friendly and there is a general atmosphere of support and caring for one another as we view each other as equals.) My high school is also extremely diverse, which I enjoy greatly, and I know there is no question of that at UM.

I haven’t really had the opportunity to talk to any students that currently attend, so I am wondering if anyone could give me a fairly detailed description of what the students are like at UM. It is really important to me to be in an environment with academically-driven and intelligent students. Can anyone put my mind at ease?

Hello! I also applied EA but no matter the decision I probably won’t be able to attend due To finances. However, after visiting, I also fell in love. The students I met were super nice and even though a lot are rich, many are there on scholarship. I didn’t think any students were snobby but there definitely is the idea of them being higher class. It’s big enough that you will definitely find a group of people you if in with but it is not super big. Seeing as the acceptance rate is low and the average test score is high, the school is filled with academically driven and talented students. If you can, visit during the school or go to an admitted students day and see if you fit well with the others. Good luck

Hey I’m a current UM student, and I would say it’s definitely a wide range of students here, like most other places I assume. There are those who go party every night and don’t really care about academics to those who never leave their room and study almost all their time. You can find all various types of people in between and it shouldn’t be too hard to find a friend group. If you are looking for more academically focused people to interact with, there is an option on the housing application to be in a specifically designated Substance Free Floor (Even though all floors are technically supposed to be substance free), and the people there are generally more academically focused, but not hermits either. Joining clubs is also a great way to make friends, and find people with similar interests and values of you.

Thank you Miamiman305 for the info.

@Miamiman305 I’m curious about where upperclassmen live. I’ve heard some live over a mile away and commute to school, but I also know there are new apartments being built on campus for upperclassmen. Would you call Miami a commuter school, where people come for class and then leave (after they move out of the dorms)?

@SuzTwo My daughter is worried about this, too!

My son lived in Univ Village apartment junior year. Own bed/bath, which is nice. Living room area very small. Senior year, he and pals had no trouble finding nearby house to rent. Maybe 1.5 miles from campus. They had own cars and UM parking passes.

Overall, son had wonderful experience at UM. Engineering student. Got job in Miami after graduation. Still visits campus often to watch games at the Rat.

@cookie16 …so from your comments would you say that Miami is not a “commuter school”? My son is looking for a school that has a great sense of community.

No, I would not say Miami is a commuter school. My son lived on campus thru junior year–the Univ Village apartments are across the street from the baseball stadium and owned by the school, so I consider that on campus. He belonged to a fraternity but didn’t live in frat housing. We were a happy UM family and my son had wonderful experience. I have another son who is a current student at Univ of Southern California. So, if that’s on your list, I have lots of opinions on USC. As much as we love the “U”, we are now Trojans through and through.

Thank you for the info, @cookie16 .

@cookie16 My son is applying to USC & has already been accepted at UM. How similar/different to find the schools to be? My husband went to USC & we’ve visited it a lot (we live in San Diego)-- but my son fell in love with UM & really wants to go away from California for school. When I visited, I felt like the “vibe” at UM was really similar to USC, smart kids who are really well rounded & outgoing (& pretty wealthy), although academically (on paper) USC may have the upper hand. My son wants to major in Econ, which isn’t really a UM or USC specialty, so I think he’d have equivalent academic experiences. What’s your take?

USC does a masterful job at marketing, to the parents as well as students. I feel like a member of the Trojan family, not just my son. There’s nothing like sitting in the stands for a USC football game. Most importantly, boy loves every minute of every day at USC. He’s an accounting major with nearly 100% in merit scholarships, so it’s hard for me not to favor USC. Through USC, my son had an internship in China the summer after freshman year and right now he’s studying business in Finland for the semester. He already has a job lined up with a Big 4 accounting firm this summer-he’s a junior. I’ve spent a good amount of time on both the UM and USC campuses and if I were a young person today, I would choose USC over UM. I think academically and in terms of resources and school spirit, USC is superior. However, my older son loved his experience at UM. He graduated with a degree in industrial engineering and a fine job lined up. He remains in Miami, very happily, and still goes to campus often to watch games at the Rat. He found the small class sizes and ability to connect with profs during office hours very helpful. He joined a fraternity, etc. I believe UM is rising up the ranks for good reason–the admin is devoting tons of money to research and improving the campus facilities. If your son is eager to go to school away from California, UM would be a fine choice. No need to fear that UM is a school of spoiled rich kids. They say the same thing about USC. At both schools, those kids exist but there are plenty of other kids there too. As with all colleges, you will find a mixture of motivated kids and those interested mostly in parties. As an engineering major at UM, my son had no choice but to find a balance between social life and academics. In short, my husband and I think highly of both UM and USC. Good luck to your son.

Not to turn this into a UM vs USC discussion, but one thing to consider is the enrollment size. USC has been growing at a huge rate, and is now over 44k students. That’s more like the size of a Big10 school. Miami is around 16k. I think both schools offer great educational opportunities with the only limitations being self imposed. In full disclosure, my second son is now a Cane after choosing UM over USC. My first son graduated and was accepted to a Top 20 medical school with a large scholarship. It’s not where you go, it’s what you do once you’re there! Good luck.

Thank you for all the opinions and information!

@cookie16 & @VHFather – thanks for the helpful info! Right now, it’s a waiting game…

Good luck!