University of Michigan Waitlist Class of 2025

If this is the pattern, we can probably expect releases during the last week of May/ first week of June.

I applied to LSA for Sociology of Health/Medicine

1 Like

You are so right about this. People on multiple waiting lists will be making decisions throughout the Summer. I was told by a college admissions counselor that this year is also strange because every so often a student is committing to two schools until they can get a school visit in, or see if additional scholarships will be coming. This is not recommended but on rare occasion, some students are doing this. In the meantime, that same student may get off the waitlist at another school which will change things as well. My guess is there will be some waitlist movement into July/August.

1 Like

Aren’t HS counselors supposed to prevent this by only sending the final transcript to one school? (unless of course there’s a waitlist opening) Maybe for high schools that finish late it wouldn’t be as affective.

This is a great question, although I’m not sure how great this is being tracked from school to school. I talked to a private consultant that said she knew of students that were doing this. She didn’t advise it, but said that some students were doing this which stretches out the uncertainty for many.

1 Like

I don’t think the universities have the resources to track this, but the high school counselors are not supposed to allow it if they know, and are definitely only supposed to send the final transcript to one school. But yeah, just adds to the sh*tshow that is this year’s admissions!

Double depositing might be more common this year but I suspect it’s probably still pretty rare.

The biggest delay in waitlisted admissions will probably be the increase in number of students who shotgunned and are waitlisted at several schools or were admitted to several schools they don’t plan on attending.

1 Like

Yes, folks on four or more waitlists will keep things interesting throughout the Summer. I thought my son gave up his waitlist spot at Michigan, but he just now told me that he is holding on. Lol!

1 Like

Last year was an anomaly… As some might come off I think it will be very few. It seems the yield this year might be higher then in past years.

Once again get involved to where you committed to. If in late May /early June you get a surprise then great. That’s when you will have to decide. I think it will be more like a trickle of people.

2 Likes

It’s also unethical. Some high schools do not allow it as others have said they will only send a final transcript to one school. Once final transcripts are out they’ll only send to one. Our school just had a deadline for students (today!) with which they had to inform school of which school they committed to. If they paid two deposits they could still only have given school one. They also had to fill out a form advising school of every school they applied and the results. That is a lot of detail and probably is to ward off someone pulling a stunt like that as much as possible. Not sure it’ll be successful but hopefully it does. Schools that do find out can withdraw their acceptances.

1 Like

I’m feeling hopeless about this waitlist thing reading the comments here. I’m checking my portal everyday since May 1st, so pathetic. Like the application process all over again. It’s not healthy :frowning:
I’m wearing my UCSD hoodie this week. Honestly feeling awesome hearing people going like wow that’s a great school. Another reason I push myself to move on is that for my cell bio major, UCSD actually ranks higher than Mich.

8 Likes

I agree with the sentiments of others on this board. While it is not easy, you should completely immerse yourself in the school whose offer you have accepted, and forget about the waitlists. Apply for housing, find a roommate, buy a school sweatshirt, and learn about all of the great programs and resources that will be available to you. If you receive admission off of a waitlist at later date, you can deal with things at that point. After immersing yourself in your current school, you might actually find the decision to accept an offer off of the waitlist to be a lot more difficult than you would have ever thought. The reality is that, in many cases, the undergrad school you go is not going to make an enormous difference to where you end up in life. It’s not necessarily the school you attend, it’s what you do while you are there.

9 Likes

Yes! The same exact thing happened to me, I wouldn’t have realised unless they sent a follow-up email.

1 Like

What was the follow-up email? I have literally received only 3 emails from UMich about them receiving my application, LOCI, and status update.

1 Like

Same here.

The fact that you have the major of your choice is amazing at UCSD.

2 Likes

purdue is awesome!! boiler upppp

3 Likes

after getting waitlisted from umich i ended up getting a full ride to michigan state’s honors college for comp sci. though I wanted to go out of state to UCSD, i figured i’d save myself the money. i don’t know if i made the right choice. i don’t think i’ll be happy at msu as much as i’m trying to like it. i guess there’s always transfer

3 Likes

Congrats on the full ride. What a gift. Free education is good education and MSU will prepare you to get a good job. Your ROI will be off the charts.

5 Likes

Michigan is an amazing school and congrats to all those who will be attending this Fall.

But like many on this board have said, there are also many other great choices. A full ride to Michigan State honors college is truly amazing. You should be very proud!

3 Likes