University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

Thank you for your merit tracking over the past couple of years. As I have said before, I love a mom on a mission…with a spreadsheet!

Good luck to your son at Alabama! A friend’s son is still torn between Michigan and Alabama. He LOVES Alabama!

2 Likes

Look at Hofstra, too if it’s affordable. Think they are still filling class

Congratulations!:confetti_ball:

We’re headed to University of Scranton.

2 Likes

Congratulations @Gatormama ! Roll Tide! Have really enjoyed you on this thread, especially last year when I was in the trenches and you had your chart going, which was fantastic! All the best to you and your family

1 Like

@cgemaj , definitely love the school that loves you back! You and your daughter are very smart, congratulations!

1 Like

Hey @scooby22 , what a great little school! I was in Scranton for a John Mulaney show a few years ago, and walked that campus! I was really impressed! Loved the cafe down the street, and we had a great Italian meal in town. Cheers!

1 Like

Looking for some advice. After a long wait my D got off the waitlist at Case Western. She also got into UPitt honors. We all were starting to make up our mind for her to go to Pitt. Now with the pleasant surprise we are back to the drawing board. Any suggestions between UPitt and Case? She wants to pursue pre-med.

1 Like

They are both great choices. There are similarities: both extremely strong pre-med schools, adjacent to leading research hospitals, in urban settings. In both cases, they are in cities, but not super congested high rise areas.

I would say the student life is rather different, though. Pitt is a D1 school with big time sports and a lot of school spirit. Not everyone is into that there, but you have that opportunity. Case is D3 with lots of students involved in sports, but not the rah-rah, televised games.

Given their size differences, I would look into class sizes and ease of scheduling, as well as research opportunities. With her being in the honors college, scheduling is unlikely to be a huge issue at Pitt, though it can be early on for non-honors STEM kids. I would also guess that she will have strong research opportunities at both schools. The Frederick Honors College is becoming more of a robust offering, so are there things that she will get through it that she won’t be able to do at Case?

I think of Case Western as more of a Carnegie Mellon-lite in personality, while most kids at Pitt are serious about their studies but not as intense as a whole. That’s my take and I could be off base, but I think most kids will feel more of an affinity to one place over the other.

If both are affordable, I would go with your gut in terms of overall fit. Both will provide an awesome foundation for pre-med, and both will offer great opportunities after graduation.

6 Likes

So, just wondering what your D ended up choosing? Let us know!

So my daughter received an email from Pitt yesterday asking if she wanted to remain on the waitlist as they were going through it now. She responded “no”. Kinda wish she waited it out to just see if she got in, but since she knew she was not going to go she did the right thing. Good luck to anyone waiting

4 Likes

Got off the Waitlist on the 3rd!!

6 Likes

Which major? Out of state?

Congratulations!!! Can you please share your intended major and if you are an out-of-state or in-state resident?

My son just got off the waitlist and was accepted into Deitrich. That makes Panther #3. A long 10 month wait, but he will be elated!! Now, just need to wait until he gets back from school/Lacrosse game!!

7 Likes

Yay!! I still think they made an error the first go-round. I’m thrilled for your family - he is very deserving!

Congratulations!!

1 Like

That is AWESOME! Always stay positive and block out the negative!! Go panthers!

2 Likes

Curious for those that got off the waitlist, did you get any money?

1 Like

Congratulations! I followed your story and I’m happy that it turned out well!

1 Like

Congratulations!!! I too have been following your story…very happy for your son and your Pitt family. Praying for my son gets the same good news soon too. Also looking for a spot in Detritch [Environmental Studies]. Did you ever personally reach out [email or phone call] in any way? I have not to date, my son has been the sole communicator. He wrote a letter of continued interest and made contact after he won a community humanitarian award. I don’t want to compromise any chance he has by reaching out but also don’t want him to miss any opportunities.

So happy for you! It really did seem like he should have been accepted to begin with, but at least he is now. I hope this has him smiling.

1 Like