University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

Any word on honors?

Honors results would be expected later in the month. Last year, the Honors results came out on Feb 28.

You can see last year’s thread for the details: Pitt Honors Discussion and Results 2022, Class of 2026 - #29 by Elaine_Kulick_Smith

3 Likes

i emailed admissions and they said march 1 oof

2 Likes

Does anyone know the structure of the admitted student days? We are trying to figure out if we (parents) should accompany our daughter in a couple weeks for the admitted student day. We did an information session/campus tour over the summer.

2 Likes

I have the same question.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Does anyone have experience with living learning communities at Pitt or other volunteer opportunities that guarantee better hoising (such as the towers)? My daughter didn’t apply to Honors. TIA.

1 Like

The llcs will get you out of towers but you must apply and not everyone gets in. My daughter didn’t for her first year. Pitt will not tell you where the llcs are because they do move them (except for engineering and nursing I think) and don’t want students picking them just because of the dorm. There is no such thing as volunteering to get a choice of dorm.

In past years students get to pick their top 3 choices for dorms on their housing application. The school tries to accommodate but lots of kids pick Nordenberg as their first choice and it just isn’t big enough to accommodate everyone. Just because of the numbers, most kids end up in towers. Both my kids were in Tower B freshman year. The good points: it’s centrally located so you can be anywhere for a class quickly and it’s very social which both my kids enjoyed. The bad points: they’re old and have issues. The elevators break down. There are three elevators so you aren’t completely out of luck but it means longer waits if you must use it and one is out.

3 Likes

Thanks so much - that’s good to know. I guess the towers aren’t too bad if your room is low enough to take the stairs. The convenience and social aspects are definitely a plus. We’re there any issues with AC at the towers?

1 Like

Mine were on the 17th and 18th floor. Both took the stairs down a lot because they just didn’t feel like waiting for the elevator. I remember my daughter telling me she walked up once when there was a wait but never again. I don’t remember either mentioning the air conditioning. I’ll ask them later. But remember that you only need air conditioning for a short time in the fall semester before the weather cools off. The Pitt spring semester ends in late April before it gets warm again so no need for it then.

Any updates on Pitt housing students in hotels? My friend has a student there and told me students are housed in nearby hotels, which would be bad for my freshman.

I’m surprised to hear they are still doing that. They did that during covid because they turned doubles into singles but I thought that was over. Anyway, the nearby hotels they used are as close to classes as the dorms are and had RAs assigned to the floors. It really wasn’t much different than a dorm except everyone has their own bathroom. There was one hotel that was a bit farther away but Pitt has since bought that and is turning it into graduate student housing.

2 Likes

Any idea how long to wait for merit? My son was admitted to CS a few weeks after he applied. He has the usual good stats but nothing crazy:

OOS, 3.96 UW, 1440 SAT
In at UMD (in state!) PSU ($24k over 4 yrs merit) UVM ($23k/yr) and a few others

We are supposed to go to admitted student day next weekend. Trying to decide if 4 hr drive worth it. Thanks!

2 Likes

No idea on merit - I think they’re done awarding by March, but I don’t have specifics.
As for the drive & the visit, do it! It’s a great city for a weekend, even without the college part. Lots of awesome food & sights. Go to Pamela’s Diner for breakfast (go very early; they will be packed)
 check out the Strip and the Incline.

1 Like

Is there a way to upload or report mid year grades to get further considered for merit?

1 Like

I’m not sure, but my daughter’s junior year was the first year they started with the hotels. There was one right across the street from her apartment, the Residence Inn I believe. She was super jealous of those kids, they got to order room service then, but not sure how it is now. I have to say, in general though, that Pitt is really spread out and not really a campus. My daughter lived in the Honors College her Freshmen year which is up on North campus, with very few Freshmen and Irvis her second year, also North campus. All of these further away dorms, along with the hotels, have shuttles that come frequently that goes throughout the University. Not sure if the distance is a concern, but they make it work!

1 Like

Thank you! Good to know. Although we visited, we stayed in one general area that had a campus feel, and that’s no match for hearing from student parent about the locations of actual dorms, etc. I appreciate your feedback!

FirstKidtoCollege. My student in similar situation. Considering UMD for Computer Science as well. Took PSU off the list.

1 Like

UMD aid great and the CS department highly rated but big! May I ask thoughts on PSU? We visit there on Thursday!

My kiddo liked Pitt better. Feel free to pm me to discuss. We’re waiting on one more school as well. Big decision!

1 Like

My daughter graduated in May and had been living, like most students, off campus for her last two years. Let me see if I can find some current intel from my Freshmen niece who is living in Towers. I know she was not thrilled at living in Towers, but probably because was waitlisted from the Honors College and was disappointed to not be living with them up in Sutherland.

2 Likes