University of Richmond Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

My DS deferred too, and sounds similar to you. SAT 1460/ACT 33, 11 APs, all 4s and 5s on AP exams, GPA lower (4.17 weighted) but lots of rigor. Also large public high school. 4 year athlete, team captain senior year, job for a year and a half, independent research, community service at synagogue. Great application (demonstrates character). Deferred at Richmond and the only other EA school applied to. But confident that he will land somewhere happily in the end. Fingers crossed for him and for you!

2 Likes

Can I ask how you were notified you were a Richmond Scholar finalist? Via portal? I am so surprised you would be a Richmond Scholar finalist but deferred! Congrats on being a finalist!

Letter in the admission portal

3 Likes

Your daughter may be a victim of US News & World Report rankings. I suspect U Richmond believes such a strong applicant will choose another school at the end of the day. They’re managing their yield stats.

My son has similar stats plus a 1540 SAT score and was admitted. Under your theory should he have been deferred or rejected too? I think the reality is that there are many more excellent students than there are spots, and that essays, letters of rec, chosen major, the school’s needs, and other countless variables all play a role in who is admitted. My son has been deferred from another school and I don’t believe it’s because they don’t think he would enroll. It’s just a crapshoot these days.

Also in terms of the original poster’s comment about test scores, whether being TO hurt her daughter, it does seem that TO is a harder road at some schools. Just a gut, nothing hard to go on, just too many hours on this site. My younger kids don’t test as well as S23, so this is also an issue of concern for me in the future.

5 Likes

@mom59 - I think you summed it up perfectly, important to remember that UR is building a class of only ~800 students. Out of this year what might be 15K applicants. After ED is all played out they likely only need to offer another 2000 spots. There is an element of “yield prediction” but there not trying to protect anything

3 Likes

Quite possibly. She was accepted EA at UVA and even though William and Mary doesn’t have EA and only sends out acceptances in late March, she received a letter letting her know that she will be accepted (I would imagine to get out in front of the UVA EA date). When her school counselor spoke with Admissions at UR and asked about her, the AO told her to call admissions and tell them that UR is her first choice. It just seems a bit odd, but she has options and that’s encouraging.

Anyone knows when UR notifies accepted students (EA and ED) about their scholarships (if) ? Website says early March. Has anyone heard already ?

Regular decision comes out on the 17th! Please wish me luck I was deferred during EA!

3 Likes

Was there an email or announcement on social?

Email

1 Like

Good luck! I know several high stats kids who were deferred too.

1 Like

It’s rlly weird. My interview is scheduled two days before they release RD results.

I heard that Richmond does not consider demonstrated interest

Did you apply EA or ED? I am a senior with similar stats but a bit more ECs. What were your stats??

My daughter had a 4.5W / 3.9UW. She was involved in many activities, and we visited. She had a 32 ACT but we elected to go test optional. She applied EA and was admitted. However we are Hispanic and from the midwest so that might have been a factor that helped her. Ultimately she decided not to go there and chose Villanova, which was a slightly larger college that felt like a better fit for her instead.

1 Like