University of Richmond Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Daughter was accepted with presidential scholarship.

4 Likes

Where on the web did you see that RS notifies through 1 feb? I’ve searched for the details but could not find them. Thanks !

1 Like

My son loved the school she was a class of 2020. Not in a fraternity. He was in ROTC.

2 Likes

He felt at home. Hispanic was just one more positive. Never an issue. Great community.

1 Like

I didn’t know much about Richmond tbh so Villanova

One more for the pile: D accepted EA. 34 ACT; hard to translate GPA (0-100 scale) but around 4.0 UW and 4.3 W, she’s somewhere in the top 6-7% but not pushing for valedictorian honors; competitive Midwestern Catholic high school that doesn’t traditionally send many to Richmond (or any liberal arts schools, really - maybe that helped her stand out or Richmond’s admissions officer for the region saw her as a way to access a new pool of applicants or something); impressive EC resume with a lot of leadership; 4-year not terribly serious athlete and senior captain; one or two AP’s shy of the max her school allows, and all 4’s and 5’s on AP exams.

Visited last April during a mid-south Atlantic spring break campus road trip. Liked the campus a lot, wasn’t sure about size, so for the moment favoring another of the schools she got accepted to EA.

Congrats to all accepted, and keep your chin up to all those deferred or declined - it’s gonna work out great for you, too!

I think there’s a possibility either or both of your kids are in yield control jail and seen as likely to not attend Richmond. Happened to our D at another place that we’d considered one of her deeper backup schools. She hadn’t visited and has the sorts of numbers that this place probably took one look at and figured there’s no greater than a 1 in 3 chance her application was still on the table by March. By deferring her, they get to wait a bit and see if she actually shows some interest before giving out an acceptance that they think has a really low chance of being reciprocated. Incidentally, they were right to do so - she’s pulling her application this week after getting into 2 or 3 places she prefers, so she would have been a yield loss.

You might consider taking a look at your school’s Naviance data for Richmond, and their common data set, to see if perhaps this is an explanation that relieves some stress. Either way, it’ll work out for both of your daughters, no doubt!

4 Likes

Definitely, and thanks for the thoughtful response. Richmond was definitely one of her favorites, but we did an unofficial visit a few years ago and planned on official visit if she got in. It just set the tone for what I imagine is going to be a rough week for us as we await decisions from all of her top and mostly stretch schools (Michigan, Northeastern, UNC CH and her number one which I pray we don’t get caught in the yield trap- Wisconsin) Wish us luck!

Deferred. Submitted SAT of 1480, 8 AP classes (5 on Calc), weighted GPA of 4.7 at a large public school with competitive rep. Made an official visit last summer. President of a club, 4 honor societies, 4-year athlete, community service at local library. Great essays according to teachers who reviewed. Who knows? Richmond was in her top 2 or 3. Deferred everywhere so far. Just sent 6 more apps to schools with late deadlines b/c this year is horrible.

Good luck, one or several of these schools will be lucky to have her.

2 Likes

I agree, this year has been awful!

Not easy to find. I believe under one of the RS live links on the UofR merit scholarship webpage. There is a pop up info sheet.

Tell her to just be herself as she goes through the process. If you look at the bios for each class of Scholars, you’ll see they are a really diverse group. You might also reach out to the Scholars Office and ask them to provide your daughter a student contact with similar interests. My daughter found talking to older Scholars really helped her to fully understand all the school had to offer.

Thank you. That is helpful. Did your student get the scholarship ??

Yes. Last year. It’s a great opportunity.

anyone have a sense of how many kids will get in after being rejected?

If you mean actually denied admission during EA/ED, the number is almost zero. Any applicant outright rejected will almost certainly not be reconsidered during Regular Decision.

Instead of “rejected” do you mean deferred to Regular Decision?

1 Like

apologies, I meant deferred! Any idea how many deferred kids from EA get in?

I can imagine some kids also had ED2 decisions coming soon

1 Like

My daughter was Accepted and I’m wondering when we will hear about the financial package. Does anyone know?

2 Likes

it’s always tricky to try to guess this.

My guesstimation is it is a combination of how high an applicant’s stats are and what percentage of the class is filled before RD decisions.

This is not a science, but here is one website’s evaluation: How to Get Into University of Richmond: Admissions Stats + Tips | CollegeVine Blog

Here are some salient numbers from that 2021 article. UR’s early decision acceptance rate was 48%, while its overall acceptance rate was 30%. UR had 12,060 overall applicants, including 736 who applied ED. 358 of those 736 ED applicants were admitted. Let’s roughly assume nearly all 358 enrolled, and assume UR had approximately 800 enrolled freshmen. That leaves 442 enrolled spots available for approximately 11,700 applicants.

I found various sources that say UR’s yield is approximately 22%. If that’s true, that means UR will probably admit roughly 2000 of those 11,700 applicants. That’s roughly 17% for regular decision.

Admittedly, this is a lot of rough guesstimates and I won’t guarantee the sources for all those stats are correct. But since we’re playing a guessing game anyway, I think that’s good enough to go on for now.

Good luck to you!

4 Likes