University of Tennessee Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Call your congress representatives! That is BS for in-state. Plenty will come off the waitlist at both. DS will enroll at Clemson.

Without knowing the programs kids might have applied into and those accepted versus not
 We visited U-Tenn and VT back to back a few weeks ago and they have very different admission approaches. VT is test optional and it was made pretty clear they give a slight glance - and nothing more - to it even if it is submitted. They also don’t care about the common app essay nor any LOR’s. They want to see great answers to their 4 questions.

Completely agree that this whole application/admissions process seems inconsistent and random. Schools that we though DS was a “easy target” are waitlisted and we just got one back that was an “extreme reach” that was an acceptance. UT and VT are both great schools.

Virginia resident also- and almost the same scenario. Mind blown. VT waitlisted- in state, 1400 SAT, 4.2 GPA and would have been a 3rd generation Hokie. Also, Grandfather is a Golden Hokie ($$$$$). All good though- Son fell in love with UTK and Knoxville. Go Vols!

2 Likes

Awesome - what will your son study at UTK?

1 Like

Its definitely not a NoVA thing but very well could be a school thing. There is one school with a very specific focus (STEM) where everyone has very high stats (avg SAT is near perfect) and are all applying into the same majors (college of engineering) at the same two in-instate universities (UVA & VT), and of course they can’t all get in. It’s the one big downside to an otherwise great school, they all end up in the same “buckets” for admissions consideration.

UTK has a very similar fan base and vibe on campus is to VT, and while the football game entrance won’t be as good, the end of the games will probably be better!

1 Like

In the same position here. Son waitlisted at VT for Engineering (in state) but got into Purdue and UTK (others too but ruled them out), got the merit package at UTK. One would say Purdue is the obvious choice now but son really loved the UTK sports scene, weather, campus atmosphere and location over Purdue. Anyone know or have feedback on the Engineering program at UTK? Whats the reputation? I can read the rankings all day, but would love feedback from those that might be close or have kids there or enrolled to start this Fall. We did the engineering tour at UTK and it helped, but still hard decision for him. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Our son was accepted to Vol Access Collaborative (Pathway to Knoxville) - he is interested in the Chattanooga campus for freshman year. Are there any other potential students considering this offer/pathway?

are any of your incoming freshman still considering the Vol Collab offer. Our son is weighing his options for the UT Chatt - campus.

Specific engineering programs at UTK are world-class. Nuclear engineering has a brand new $150M building with 26 different labs inside. They are closely tied with the Oak Ridge lab and the Tennessee Valley Authority is right there with 100’s of internship and co-op opportunities. They have the only Nuclear Regulation/Safety minor that I know of in the country and it came as a result of industry input (probably giving grads an even better chance of scoring a job). Also cannot argue with a 55/45 female/male ratio! Go Vols!

2 Likes

Thank you for the input and info! Son committed to UTK tonight!!

2 Likes

Congrats! If interested, may want to look into applying for the Engage LLC (basically a dorm where Engineers live - it’s in Geier Hall).

1 Like

Curious as to why UTK admissions page says they are still accepting applications for fall 2023 even though they had record # this year and long waitlist
what does this mean for waitlisted - anyone have an idea?

https://admissions.utk.edu/apply/first-year/

Not sure where you’re seeing on their site that they’re still accepting applications ? Not saying it’s not there but you don’t provide a link to where you’re seeing it.

1 Like

Thanks for attaching the link. Interesting but I wouldn’t think too much about it - I wouldn’t think many/anyone is going to pay an application fee to apply with them stating right on it that basically you’re applying to be put on the waitlist.

Agree but makes me feel like school is shifty

1 Like

Not shifty. I think they have always had rolling admissions after February.

2 Likes