University of Tennessee Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Same but no merit at VT. Waitlisted UT. 1530 SAT OOS

Iā€™d like to know more about this too. My son had a great audition with the music department but didnā€™t get into the university as a general applicant, which was disappointing, though not completely unexpected. He was offered the Vol Access Collab, but I donā€™t if he would want to start somewhere else and have to transfer. He has a full piano scholarship from another state school, but itā€™s not part of UT, and heā€™s less excited about it.

1 Like

The TN/BAMA game and their awesome football season.

The southern SEC schools have become very popular in our area. We always sent a handful to UGA, South Carolina, Duke, UVA, and UNC but no measurable number to other big southern schools according to Naviance. My oldest graduated in 2017 and no one from our school even applied to UT. Then in 2014/2015/2016 a few popular and well known involved students broke the mold and turned down Pitt/Penn State/ Maryland (and other better known publics and privates from the mid Atlantic and NE region) for Alabama big scholarships. These early adopters had amazing school experience and spread the word. Great school spirit, great weather, and great employment outcomes at a reasonable price drew a lot of interest. Siblings, neighbors, church friends, and teachers at school all started to take notice. The football exposure also helped put it on the radar. A small handful of early SEC adopters became trend setters. After Bama it was LSU, UT, Mississippi State that started to get a surge in applications. Now each of these schools gets dozens of applications every year and many get in. My daughter knows at least 5 classmates and 3 from her EC from other schools who also got into UT early but she also knows many who did not. It seems like it has a lot to offer and the merit is outstanding.

Admissions were just as competitive the year before and UT football was only slightly above 500.

3 Likes

Do you know if they get on campus housing in Knoxville after that first year at a different UT location?

Where are you from?

Not nearly as many applicants last year.

1 Like

A higher than anticipated yield for admission the year before also put compression on this yearā€™s acceptances. Lots of factors.

We are from the mid Atlantic - Pennsylvania. Many kids headed to warmer weather.

2 Likes

I wonā€™t take exception to your statement around lots of changes year to year - clearly the case and if itā€™s not UT one year itā€™s some other school the next year.

~6K is not accurate though. Last year CDS shows 36,290 total applications. Their 12/15 announcement states that as of that point 47,838 had been received. Their announcement states that this was a 40% increase over the year before (the 36K to 48K is ~30%). But in any case, quite a bit more than 6K.

1 Like

UTK acknowledged that ā€œthis yearā€™s applicant pool was the most competitive in UTā€™s 228-year history, which is likely a result of academic and athletic successes on campus.ā€
Check out the Flutie effect.

If you look north, youā€™ll notice the same increases. Itā€™s broad phenomena, see:

We got the Vol Callab offer. Son is interested and we have meetings at UT Chatt in a few weeks to check it out. Anyone else doing this offer?

2 Likes

Weā€™re considering it but waiting to hear from other schools first. Is the UT-Chat visit a formal event or something youā€™re scheduling individually?

1 Like

My son is still weighing out his options but interested in this offer as well. The only thing I want to verify w/ UT is that they are truly guaranteed to go to UTK & not just another branch school. Heā€™s thinking of Martin & Chattanooga

1 Like

You may want to call admissions to verify.

A Transfer Pathway to UT Knoxville

Vol Access Collaborative participants who meet first-year program requirements are guaranteed Fall 2024 transfer admission to UT Knoxville, and between UT System campuses, by meeting the following criteria:

• Complete 24+ transferable credit hours
  • Achieve a 3.0+ GPA on a 4.0 scale

Students who fall below these requirements may be holistically reviewed for admission eligibility. Additional requirements may apply to students interested in competitive majorsā€”Architecture & Design; Business; Education, Health & Human Sciences; Engineering; Nursing; Online Social Work.

4 Likes

Weā€™re the opposite (Virginia resident). Waitlisted at VT and accepted to UTK (Chancellors Honors, Cook Grand Challenge Honors, and $18K per year merit scholarship). 1550 SAT, 4.4 weighted GPA, 11 APs, 2 Dual-Enrollmentsā€¦go figureā€¦DS can now go to Tennessee for less than VT and experience a 55/45 female/male ratio as opposed to the opposite ratio at VT. Go Vols! He will, however, miss out on the absolute best college football team entrance in the world at VT (ā€œEnter Sandmanā€ at 4 trillion decibels) and the best college campus food in the countryā€¦

Waitlisted at VT? Son admitted OOS to VT with good stats but not as good. And waitlisted at UT OOS. 1510 SAT

I canā€™t figure it out either. Iā€™ve always heard that VT doesnā€™t want to become the University of Northern Virginia - the acceptance rate to VT at his high school is about one third the overall rate (even though the stats are typically a lot higher). DS got a Niche account and you can plug in stats to see how you compare. His stats were higher than 98% of the kids that got ACCEPTED, yet he was waitlisted.

1 Like