University of Wisconsin - Madison Acceptance Rate of 49%?

Hi, I’m a high school senior who just got rejected from Wisconsin Madison.
I didn’t have a lot of information about the school and knew it was a high reach school for me, but just applied to the business school with a “why-not” attitude. (I tried really hard on my supplement essays)
GPA 3.9
new SAT 1380
quite a few extracurriculars / internships etc.
solid teacher recommendations

My school is known to be a favorite school? for Wisconsin, so I sort of had my hopes up too.
When you type Wisconsin on google it has an acceptance rate of 49 percent which I think is false?
What do you guys think? I thought it wasn’t that selective, but I guess it is?

Thank you

https://apir.wisc.edu/publisherssurvey/CDS_2015-2016.pdf

Acceptance rate: 49.18%

CDS is helpful but there is more detailed information that gives you some perspective. Check out page 3, in-state vs. MN. vs. OOS admit rates:

https://apir.wisc.edu/admissions/New_Freshmen_Applicants.pdf

A couple of helpful stats: UW looks at unweighted GPA, not weighted. Average unweighted, from the CDS, is 3.85. That number might be higher for OOS and lower for in-state - not sure about that, however. UW-Madison considers GPA to be the most crucial stat. for admission so in-state numbers are also pretty high, I’m betting. Also, average ACT for in-state is 28 and OOS is about 30, maybe a bit higher. Obviously some are admitted who are below that average (and others who are above).

OP, your 1380 concords to about a 29 which isn’t bad at all. Is the 3.9 weighted or uw?

In state acceptance rate is around 66% which means MN, other OOS, and international acceptance rates are below 49% - so even more selective than you thought.

@jihyun89

More fun with statistics. One could report accepted?admitted numbers compared to numbers who actually attend. Wonder if this affects admissions. If many admitted choose elsewhere that could change numbers. Ultimately you are 100% in or not…