***University of Wisconsin-Madison Fall 2017 Thread***

Does honor stuff get emailed/mailed to us accepted students

Has anyone heard for RD?

From what I’m seeing, only OOS people heard back on Friday? That’s interesting :o

My daughter and friend were both accepted on Friday. Both in state.

Has anyone out of state still not find out?

Accepted. L&S OOS 30 ACT 3.9 GPA (W) ton of meaningful EC’s, major school awards, 600+ volunteer hours. Great essays. Worked for months on them.

@NolaCAR she should appeal that decision. Average ACT for accepted in-state is 28. And exactly how would one improve on a 4.0 unweighted GPA? Unless she has some infraction on her record or didn’t submit her mid-term grades . . . that decision makes no sense.

ny… you were waitlisted for the entire university, regardless of your proposed major.

DO you guysknow if the housing contract is binding after you get admitted

To admitted students – Honors program information is emailed to you, so check your emails. Deadlines are tied to YOUR file, so don’t assume what applies to other admitted students is the same as for you.

Freshman housing is not assigned on a “first come first served” basis so there is no advantage is submitting housing deposit early, though the May 1 deadline is firm.

In the past the housing contract was binding unless you did not enroll. You need to do it separately from your UW deposit- no assumptions that you will choose Res Halls. The deposit was refundable if you sent a request for it to Res Halls itself by the May deadline- just asking for a UW, the university, deposit refund was not sufficient. The two are related but independent entities.

It is logical to lose deposits after deadlines as otherwise too many would hold more than one place too long and inconvenience other potential students. It is also logical for Res Halls to be separate from UW in many ways. The housing lottery is good as well- equal consideration if you meet deadlines.

To repeat- Check on YOUR deadlines. Do not expect flexibility in them. Other people’s choices depend on yours- schools can’t wait for you to make up your mind and get around to things past their deadlines.

@jkgreen27 why don’t you contact the school instead of asking on CC?

@4highkers I was just asking to see if anyone knew before i call up the school and i was in school when I wrote that so i wasnt gonna just pull my phone out to call

people on this site are informative but when it comes to money concerns the school would be the most accurate. There is always a time in the day to contact a college.

My girlfriend was accepted with a 3.5 UW GPA. But she took like 9 AP courses throughout junior and senior year. Her ACT is 31 and she only had 3 extra curricular’s. She has a legacy though because both her parents and older brother went to Madison.

Accepted. L&S :)>-

@JBStillFlying I agree D’s waitlist decision makes no sense. She has no infractions and she did send mid-term grades which were all high - 98 in physics, 97 in an anthropology course at a 2yr UW campus, etc. The only thing I can figure out is she applied on 1/31 or 2/1 and she wasn’t enthusiastic about applying. She has told us from the beginning that UW is her last choice. We basically made her apply as a financial safety. Maybe her lack of enthusiasm showed, or, if they reviewed apps in the order received, maybe her applying at the last minute hurt her. Anyway, she has declined her spot on the waitlist and is committing to an LAC.

@JBStillFlying To add insult to injury, I am a UW alum and I have donated thousands over the years. I guess we can all take comfort in the fact that UW evidently doesn’t favor the children of its donors, which is as it should be. Irrationally, since D didn’t want to go to UW anyway, her being waitlisted has soured me on my alma mater and I am going to have to do a lot of soul-searching when it comes time for me to write my annual check. Sounds like sour grapes, I know, which is why I hesitate to share this, but I thought others might find it interesting.

@JBStillFlying I should add one final thing, which is that the reason UW was D’s last choice is not because it isn’t a good school. It’s because it’s only 45 minutes from home and because she decided she’d prefer a LAC over a large university. The LAC she is committing to is 2,000 miles from home!

Any one from Taiwan? Try looking some schoolmate from hometown (for my daughter)