University Physics or College Physics?

<p>What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? I've heard University is more calc-based, while college is more algebra-based. Is that the only difference?</p>

<p>Hi Marinebio444!</p>

<p>I emailed my daughter this question and will post her reply. </p>

<p>How do you like the school so far? Seems like only yesterday you were asking questions and deciding where to apply!</p>

<p>I know! It’s pretty awesome so far, orientation was a bit of a pain in the butt, but I’m sure once classes start it’ll be even better!</p>

<p>OK, here is her detailed response. Hope it helps!</p>

<p>The basic difference between College and University is indeed that college is algebra-based (aka AP Physics B all over again), and University if calculus based. But there are other, more subtle differences. College is only two semesters with a lab, but all the homework is web-assign (due Friday nights at midnight, and won’t let you submit if you have any question wrong), and you don’t get any formula sheet during exams. You also aren’t allowed to use the calculus if you know it. University is three semesters with a lab, but all the homework is handwritten (you know, normal), which you can ask questions about and have people go over in discussion sections before you hand it in. You also get a basic formula sheet during exams, and are expected to derive all the other equations you might need.</p>

<p>I personally encourage everyone to take University unless they’re exceptionally terrible at calculus or hate it with the fury of a thousand suns. You only use stuff from Calc I (AP Calc A), with a little bit of Calc III, but they teach you how to do that part in class. Plus calculus was invented for the purpose of doing basic physics, which makes it easier (in my opinion). I took University, and while most of my friends took College due to fear of math, they ended up wishing they took University. You also get three semesters of value out of your textbook with University, versus just two with College.</p>

<p>Tell your daughter thank you from me! I’ll do University, since I’m one of the rare people who actually enjoyed calculus (I know, I’m a nerd). I’ll probably wait to that next year though. Thanks for the help!</p>

<p>Pretty ironic, I was trying to explain this to a Freshman at another school and lo and behold, the UMiami thread comes to the rescue…Thanks to SVMMom and her daughter for the great explanation. Also kudos to Marinebio444 for posing the question!</p>

<p>Haha, glad I could help</p>

<p>Do you think it is necessary to take Calc III for University Physics? thanks</p>

<p>I’m in University Physics I (PHY205) right now. A couple of clarifications:</p>

<p>Our homework is all online, minus one written problem every week. I think the professor is new this year and he’s kind of changed up the system. In addition, we no longer get formula sheets on the test, but we also have a higher ratio of multiple choice to free response questions on each test.</p>

<p>You definitely don’t need Calc III for 205- a basic knowledge of calculus (derivatives, integrals) will do you just fine.</p>

<p>Discussion sessions sound great but it depends on the teacher. My discussion professor is completely useless and it’s a waste of time. The only reason I go is because we have a quiz every discussion.</p>

<p>Voss is an excellent discussion leader - I’d recommend him if you can get him. And it seems like it definitely varies, because when I took 205 we did not have online homework, it was written and turned in to our discussion leaders.</p>