Upperclassmen housing at Cornell

<p>Cornell does not guarantee housing for four years to undergraduates. What do most upperclassmen do? What are the pros and cons of the various arrangements? Do most off-campus students take a meal plan? Is it relatively easy to find off-campus housing? Should students have cars?</p>

<p>I would also like to know these things, and when do we deal with acquiring housing for next year if we are freshmen?</p>

<p>The majority of upperclassment choose to live off campus in collegetown apartments. This housing is very abundant. You don't need a car to get to campus. Some take smaller mean plans, others dont. I had a meal plan because I couldn't deny getting tons of good food on my parent's tab. </p>

<p>Pros: can be cheaper than on campus. Apartments as MUCH more spacious. No dorm rules.<br>
Cons: some apartments are run down and dingy. No dorm rules - people can be loud, people can be very messy. </p>

<p>You can get housing as soon as right now, or you can get it last minute (granted, I don't suggest this). Wait until the spring semester when you have friends that you'd be interested in living with, then check out craigslist for starters.</p>

<p>Ehat are the nicest apartment buildings in collegetown? Do these offer one bedroom apartments, and do they have amenities and services? I'm still a freshman and I'll probably be living in a sorority next year, I'm just wondering for junior and senior years.</p>

<p>Nice ones include 311 college ave. Ummm ... I'm not really sure what else. The vast majority are in old houses that have been converted to apartments. My senior year apartment was really nice and had been recently renovated. You'll have to visit available places and decide what's nice enough for you. </p>

<p>Some are probably one bedroom, but I've personally never heard of anybody getting a one bedroom. Amenities and services? Well - none. Unless you consider running water and electricity an amenity. Otherwise, you're on your own for everything including cleaning, garbage, cable, and usually internet.</p>

<p>A lot of upperclassmen move into college town, but some stay on campus. I think it's easier if you just stay on campus, because off campus housing can be a pain. You could also, live in a frat/sorority.. I suggest that you bring a car, some people can do without it but i think it's hard to get around without one</p>

<p>I didn't have a car when I lived on campus ... but off campus it was certainly a help. It's not a necessity as only a few of my off-campus roomates did have cars, but it at least helps to know somebody who has a car.</p>

<p>Some of the nicer buildings (in my opinion) are 312, 400 and 407 College Ave....Collegetown Center, Plaza and Court and Eddygate (those 4 are on Dryden Road). </p>

<p>I lived in Collegetown Plaza in a studio apartment for my senior year...the rent only included heat, water and garbage disposal fees. We also had laundry facilities in the building...a welcomed convenience.</p>

<p>How hard would you say it is to remain on West Campus, at least for returning juniors? I'm in Keeton right now and love it, the location is fantastic as is the building and community. I understand there is a lottery process and that it is competitive/hard for current sophomores to get into West? I also heard somewhere that there is an option (albeit not easy) to request to return to your current West Campus house...</p>

<p>Since juniors and seniors have the first housing time slots, it would be easier for them to choose a good west campus dorm to live in especially if they still want to stay on campus. </p>

<p>housing isnt "guaranteed", persay, for 4 years, but if you want to still stay on campus, you can. but if you have a really bad housing lottery time, you might end up in a program house or somewhere on north (not to say thats bad or anything). </p>

<p>for those who join greek life, the next year they are guaranteed housing. even students who rush as sophomores live in as juniors. and doing that definitely relieves the stress of trying to find housing in october when you are just a freshman and just met the people you may want to live with.</p>

<p>do all girls who join sororities freshman year live in the sorority house sophomore year?</p>

<p>Many of the sororities have a mandatory live in requirement for all new members...some of them only require that you live in for at least a semester. You'll learn about each sorority's live in policy when you go through recruitment.</p>

<p>because rush is in second semester, some girls have already signed leases for the next year. in that case, the sorority is understanding and allows them to bypass the live-in rule. living in, however, is a really good experience. basically, if you intend to rush, i wouldnt go and sign a lease. and even if you decide not to do a sorority, you can always find housing in collegetown. i know people who got gorgeous places in march...and even in july!</p>