Urgent Question on Essays + Curriculum Strength

<p>ok here's the situation: C+ to B- level grades in lots of AP classes (8, ranging from the easier ones like APES to the hardest like Chem), and thus a pretty low gpa. sat: CR:660, M 750, W 800 (but they dont give a damn about writing). i barely make their 25th percentile for GPA weighted. Unweighted is about 3.4 or something. school doesn't rank. </p>

<p>I did an internship in Systems/ Industrial Engineering field, which is very career oriented, and i milked tha hell outta that in my essays. </p>

<p>The thing is, i've heard many times that VT iz more numbers oriented than holistic. How much is strength of courses and internship gonna do for me here?</p>

<p>I'm in state, but this aint a regular chance thread, i'm just wondering how much they evaluate strength of courses and essays/internships.</p>

<p>haha, SIXTY NINE views… anyway, BUMP!</p>

<p>I hope this answer helps, although I can only speak of my son’s experience, Rishmeister. He was worried whether he would be accepted into engineering because his GPA <em>number</em> was not in the median 50% of 3.71 - 4.15 (we were told). Like you, we have heard VT is numbers oriented. All school system GPAs are not calculated the same, some are seriously inflated. That’s tough on a smart kid whose school system does not weight any honors level classes, and he has chosen to take tough AP classes. Our son is in AP calc 2 and AP physics C, and there are not too many students that end up at the level math/science come senior year. In addition, he’s a solid B-boy, not straight A’s.</p>

<p>I have to believe that admissions took a holistic view of our son’s application including a thorough review of his courses. His SAT/ACT scores are very good, he submitted all essays (no such thing as optional in his opinion), and he has a good mix of ECs, volunteer service, etc. Our belief is that his acceptance was based on the mix of it all and not just the <em>numbers</em>.</p>

<p>I have to agree with CronusMom - at least from our experience. </p>

<p>My son’s has around a 3.9 W GPA (maybe a 3.6 UW) and his SAT scores were good, but not as good as yours. He has/is taking a few AP classes (US Hist, Calc, Phys) and a couple of dual credit classes. He will probably end up with Bs in all the AP classes. So, I also have to agree that VA Tech looked past the numbers. </p>

<p>He had only 1 major EC (band, but he does excel in that), and he did do all 3 essays. His only “hook” might have been the years we spent overseas - making him a little “different” that the average applicant. But, again, if that was a factor - then that leads to a more holistic approach to the admissions process.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot, above posters, for your input; i’m a solid B minus boy, and that sparks some hope. I could use one or two more opinions though.</p>

<p>I go to Herndon High School, so i’m in state, unfortunately…</p>