URM and Socioeconomic Status

<p>Can being a URM help you in admissions even if you don't come from a disadvantaged background? My dad is a doctor, and my mom is a lawyer. Both of them went to ivy league and other top schools. I don't feel as if I've grown up disadvantaged at all. I will be applying to a couple ivies and other top schools this year (And yes, I do have safeties as well.). I am happy with my stats/extracurriculars. Even though I know that admission to top schools is far from guaranteed, I am proud of how my application will look. Still, I'm curious as to whether URM will still be a hook for me since I haven't been disadvantaged during my life.</p>

<p>It might, but it depends on the college (and the highly selective schools’ holistic admissions processes are not going to be very transparent about that or any other factor in admissions beyond mentioning whether something is considered in the common data set, section C7). Definition of “URM” also depends on the college, for those where it matters.</p>

<p>However, it is best to make your application list (particularly in selection of safeties) under the assumption of no boost, since most people around here tend to overestimate the boost (whether they are URMs themselves applying to colleges, or others resenting such boosts). That way, you are more likely to be pleasantly surprised with lots of offers, rather than unpleasantly surprised by being shut out.</p>

<p>The number of very high scoring African Americans is fairly low. If you have high grades and high scores you should be a desirable applicant. Of course, there’s no such thing as a shoe in. Will you be applying to your legacy schools? Legacy applicants often get a boost.</p>

<p>Why not just use your legacy status?</p>

<p>Both my parents went to University of Pennsylvania. I know I’m going to be applying there, but I don’t think I want to apply early. I heard that legacy status only counts if you apply early. I have no clue whether that is true or not though.</p>

<p>Is your last name Huxtable?</p>

<p>Lol, I’m sure that’s been done before.</p>

<p>You’ll be solid if you have competitive stats. Hooks won’t mean as much. Check the boxes and don’t worry about it.</p>

<p>@KeDiX- I was in a similar situation this year. My college counselor told me that URMs are put into two different categories based on socioeconomic status. Generally colleges uphold a higher standard for those who didn’t grow up disadvantaged.
When applying to college, work on being the best candidate possible, not just the best black candidate.</p>

<p>Mr Luggs_ Had to quote for the truth</p>

<p>“When applying to college, work on being the best candidate possible, not just the best black candidate”.</p>