USC Class of 2024 Applicants Thread

when will USC send out decisions for class of 2024? Have they published the date?

@eugenie554 Yes, last year they came after the regular decisions which was super weird. In the 10 years prior, that had never happened. For those many years, they came out almost a week prior, or a few days before.

In 2018, scholarships decisions posted to portal on 3/22. Regular decisions had been mailed that same day and started arriving the next day on the 23rd. So in 2018, there were worlds colliding on college confidential with so much happening at once - the anticipation of packages arriving and scholarship notifications. Will be interesting to see the play this year!

@AniAni The published date is 'by April 1st". There is much speculation based on past trends that decisions will be sooner than that. Some on this thread have mentioned a possibility of the decisions being mailed on or around March 19th. But this is just a guess. No one knows for sure.

@AniAni Based on recent years, the week of the 23rd is the best guess for the acceptance packages being mailed out via USPS Priority Mail… with online portal updates following within 2-3 days after the mailing.

@CADREAMIN Do you happen to have any information on whether they send spring admits the same package as regular fall admits? Or is it posted on the portal on Sunday? Just curious about how that process works!!

Spring admits get boxes at same time as fall admits. It is just a yellow instead of white. Everything is exactly the same except color of the box in terms of notification.

Is the coronavirus going to affect the appeal process? Will there still be admissions directors at USC to read through the appeal letters? For now, USC has shut down classes.

Thank you soo much that is very helpful!!

Does anyone have any insight into whether being a legacy even helps at all these days? I am a legacy (my older brother is a current sophomore with a national merit scholarship), and I keep hearing mixed responses about what being a legacy means for a USC applicant, if anything at all…I know it doesn’t help too much, but I’m just curious about the extent to which admissions counselors consider being a legacy as a benefit…I doubt people will know much about this, as there isn’t much public information about it, but I would appreciate any information y’all might have :slight_smile:

Were your parents Trojans? You’re only a legacy from your parents being in usc, not siblings.

No, just my brother. However, the admissions representative from USC who visited my school mentioned that you are considered a legacy if your parents, grandparents, or sibling attended USC! I have no clue how they take it into account when reviewing applications, but I know that the representative told me that they “consider” it.

@shay2581 First, they didn’t shut down classes, nor is the school shut down. People are working and will continue to do so. Are you already planning on appealing without knowing you were accepted or not?

Are you sure you have the right school here?

@CindyLeuWho

From USC Legacy info page:

When applying to USC through the Common Application, students will submit background information about their family members. The information within this section of the application is how we determine a student’s legacy status. Only those applicants with a parent, grandparent, or sibling who graduated from USC (or is currently enrolled) are considered a legacy for admission purposes.

Siblings count.

Oh my bad, thank you.

USC extended “remote learning” until April 14 … it’s so upsetting … I hope we can get a handle on this virus!

@pocket22 just fyi, there’s a discussion here about it and any other newsworthy events at USC to avoid hijacking this thread…

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-southern-california/2177220-usc-recent-happenings-news.html#latest

@hotcheetos33 As I stated above in post 990, USC legacies currently represent around 20% of the freshmen class in recent years… or 600 or so of the 3000 freshmen. Only around 1000-1250 of the 10,000+ legacies that have been applying in recent years are offered admission. So their yield rate is pretty high… something in the range of 48-60%. So, while 14-17% of the 7000-7250 being admitted are in fact legacies, USC is still compelled to disappoint 80-90% of all legacy applicants.

It is thus considered… but it is just one factor being considered… along with other priorities that span a host of factors… URM, FirstGen, demographics, geography, ECs, leadership roles, performance skills, creativity, writing ability, etc… in furthering their goal of creating a well-rounded and diverse freshman class. More and more, you need to be a very well-qualified legacy applicant that brings something unique to the Trojan community to gain admission.

Thank you so much!! That is all very helpful info:) Fingers crossed!

@hotcheetos33 You’re welcome. Good luck…

@CADREAMIN I was wondering if decisions are still being made for candidates? Or has it mostly been determined by now?