USC Class of 2024 Applicants Thread

Yes. Automatic admission to University of Texas at Austin, university of north Texas and all state schools in Texas. Southwestern University in Georgetown Texas. He was pretty picky due to the music programs so he didn’t apply to a ton of places

@fd1676 i heard current usc students who get financial aid use veritax so that’s why I’m wondering

@biochemmajor11 i’m not super familiar with this financial aid stuff but my take on veritax is it’s a company hired to verify tax information (I know, I basically repeated the name). Lots of large municipal governments use this service in their hiring processes- places like FDNY that processes 30-40 thousand applications. Guess it’s not unreasonable to expect USC to verify all applications using this service. I work in government and had to go through a similar service when they conducted my background check and looked at my taxes/finances. Still, any news from USC during this process can be exciting and provide hope!

I’m not sure how many Thornton applicants there were but in the past the acceptance rate was roughly 15-20% based on the information I was given at Discover USC a few months ago. I am from Orange County and I applied for Music Industry I’ll keep you posted on what ends up happening. Anyways, good luck everyone!! You all tried your best and at this point it’s out of our control. Whatever ends up happening is what is meant to be, everything will work out <3

So what I’m getting at is I shouldn’t be worried that I wasn’t asked for additional FA documents? This is really stressing me out y’all

@TooAmbitiousWtf Exactly! You shouldn’t be concerned about the meaning of any financial aid request. If you didn’t get a request for information, it may just mean your file was complete. Good luck to you!

EXACTLY!!

Regarding acceptance rates at Thornton, I don’t think admit rates are quite as helpful as with regular non-music admissions. It’s my understanding that it all depends on what needs they have that particular year for each instrument or voice (probably this doesn’t apply to music industry?) Like if they are short on jazz trumpets or got a high yield the year before they may not have as many spots this year. This is why music schools tend to not allow taking a gap year after the fact of acceptance. Just what I’ve heard,. if others heard differently please don’t flame me :).

In any case it’s in the books so to speak and hopefully only a few more days. Good luck to everyone, I know for us following this thread USC is top of the list. It would be nice for all of us to get some good news right about now.

Knowing they may not be sending out packages is really disappointing. All I wanted was a normal senior year and to celebrate like a normal senior! It takes away the excitement and now I’m just sick to my stomach with stress…

Hello! I have a really dumb question, but on March 4th I was emailed by the USC Office of Admission requesting my mid year report. However, I didn’t get them uploaded until March 11th. Will this hurt my admission chances because I took so long to upload them? Good luck to all of you!

I think you’re good - they said early March is preferred so that they can evaluate everything. My thoughts are that is just under the wire for early March. Good luck!!

Thank you! I just wanted an outside opinion or else I would’ve been thinking about it all week, lol. Good luck to you too!

Like I told my son - although disappointing and weird (and very scary) you will forever be the class that has this unique distinction that unifies every single senior across this country.

I know you’re sick with worry due to the unknowns like USC and this dang virus. But know that in the end everything will be “ok”, although perhaps somewhat different and crazy for a bit. Know that you will reach your goals. We’re all in this together and feeling what you are. (Even this 40 something Fire Chief).

Not all applications are being verified through veritax however @fd1676 that is why I’m hopeful but hey you never know until that admission decision is on your computer

Waiting for music industry decision!

Same! I am honestly so bored right now because of corona

Well for years many have loved the old school packages even with all the angst - the mailbox moment is like nothing else. But many also thought it was filled with too much stress - waiting for the mail, wondering if you are 2 day or 3 day, how long it takes to get from USC to FLA, why so long to Seattle, the uncertainty if it was just delayed or lost in the mail, etc. Let’s face it, the process was great if you got the box (because you immediately forget the pain to getting there) and it sucked if you didn’t.

Well the universe has spoken for them this year, but wow, what a different ride it will be on here. Instead of the rollout for a few days it will just be bam, portal update. (Nice to know the sources @marcie123 and I had were on it again this year - thank you birdies!) Instead of a full time work week on here, I can just sit back with @wwward and other regulars to watch it happen this time. :slight_smile: For those familiar with USC portal updates, well ahem, cough cough, they haven’t always gone that smooth, so buckle up, it may get bumpy. Hopefully it goes well.

I hope they do some splash with it since not getting packages is a let down for some. Maybe some fireworks when it opens up or something, ha. Cal Poly had a really cool “welcome” video - some thought it was cheesy, but it was sweet and showed sincerity and effort. UCLA use to have this big bright screen splash pop up that made you know immediately you were a Bruin (if you wanted to be), and their engineering package was super cool. University of Oregon has these fun mailers customized with your name and had a great video too. Cal Tech’s acceptance was just status update that linked to acceptance letter - I think that is the usual way most school’s do it, followed by the package in the mail. And that may be all the students want. USC’s white boxes were beautiful, will be interesting to see if this is what pushes them to the past for good. I’ll ask my birdie if they will instead give them out at orientation???

Has anyone got accepted via portal to other schools already that had anything more than a “click letter” or just “accepted” under status? Or a cool acceptance package?

@CADREAMIN Most of my son’s acceptances so far have been just a click to the acceptance letter. A couple of them had confetti on the screen. At this point, he merely wants to know he is accepted. Actually, he said he likes the portal idea better because it would be hard watching all of the ‘mailbox moment’ photos/videos if he didn’t get one.

Music Industry, great major! Crazy cool professors and interesting projects.

UCSB has a very simple confetti effect when opening the decision letter, I thought it was nice, saw it from across the room and knew right away she was in. D doesn’t really care for the package, she just wants an acceptance.