USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Any info re admission rate for Annenberg?

In 2019-2020, Annenberg’s admission rate was around 13%.

1 Like

It depends, if it were as simple as making less than $80K, parents everywhere would quit their jobs before their kid applied to college. They look at a lot more than a year of income. And every year there are many disappointed when they learn they don’t actually qualify for the aid they thought they were getting, or what FAFSA said, because USC looks at the whole financial picture - and they define what is taken into consideration. So yes, it is definitely is legit, but there are several thing taken into consideration.

1 Like

In the case of my two daughters, I am fairly confident that each was the only one to apply to USC that year. Each got in. And their GC could not recall anyone ever getting into USC while she had been there until my older daughter did so… since the FL public high school had opened in the late 1990s.

So, I would argue that it really just depends on the applicant and how they finalize their application in total.

If you’re an applicant this cycle, I would not pre-judge anything based on past or current trends related to your high school, city or state or even the #s applying from your school, etc. USC is more likely than not to be judging you as an individual… taking into an account your application package in its entirety… and not as just a set of comparative #s or stats.

3 Likes

It’s competitive. So, if I had to guess… and that’s all this is… I would suspect something in the 12-14% range. Good Luck.

Anyone have an estimate of the Viterbi acceptance rate?

I would guess the exact same range… 12-14%.

1 Like

Does anyone know what happens generally to IYA interviewees who are not admitted to IYA? percentage wise? Are most admitted to USC to their second major or undeclared? Getting the IYA Interview is a pretty high bar in the first place.

Viterbi is in the under 10% category, has been for a long time.

I didn’t say in certainty. I just say higher chance …
Good that your daughters were successful and were not from one of the 7400 HS that couldn’t send any students to USC.

Oh wow okay thanks!

Chances for Davis Gerontology? I’ve literally found nothing on this since it’s such a small program…

I stand corrected :slight_smile: Even more so…

I would assume that they are all given a very fair evaluation for both the second major and possibly even to be admitted Undeclared. For example, my younger daughter applied to two very competitive SCA majors, but was eventually admitted only as Undeclared. I suspect that they understand that the odds are stacked against you when aiming for the stars and the moon and take a second look overall as USC in general.

3 Likes

Thank you!

And I suspect that you are likely correct… speaking in general / macro terms.

I just tend to warn applicants against drawing simple conclusions based on macro #s however. I urge applicants to think micro - focusing on their individuality.

Year after year, far too many applicants look at the admission stats and then get highly discouraged when they think that they do not match up comparatively. But USC does still deny 4K+ applicants each cycle in recent years with 4.0 unweighted GPAs and test scores in the 99th percentile. They do so because they are looking for that “fit” quality. They are looking to create a well-rounded and diverse freshman class.

Each cycle, many announce how they were startled to be admitted and all they site to justify being shocked is their lower than perfect GPA or test scores. Others sometimes chime in how they were also shocked to be rejected with much better stats. Some are even from the same high schools.

But USC is evaluating far more than just those simplistic comparative stats and considering ECs, potential leadership roles, potential URM or First Gen or other demographic qualifiers, writing ability, demonstrated passion and/or creativity and/or performance skills and the all important Why USC? reasoning.

So… to all applicants… do not lose hope until the final decision is received. And even then… even if it is a no, it is not the end of the world. USC is only one among many great options out there.

Good luck to all who are awaiting that decision in five days…

2 Likes

you’re welcome

There is no special “fit” narrative. It’s just grades aren’t everything and they want some leadership or curiosity or initiative that will be shown by outside activities. This is true for every school. Students may self select to go to a certain school but the school isn’t picking certain attributes (beyond categories of geography, gender, financial support, majors, etc)

For applicants, use the essays to further explain yourself. Why you are more than the numbers. Attributes for why you will succeed in your selected pursuits post college.

They even manage to what they want the average tuition paid by the students is, so it’s not truly need blind.

The “fit” narrative imho is a myth. My guess is USC would gladly accept the entire Stanford, Duke, Harvard etc class, as they have the same fit! Maybe recruited athletes excepted.

Now given the $1.1bn settlement they just announced today, I wonder if the financial aid budget changes.

I think your consistent advice on crafting a “why USC” essay is very valid and important, as this gives USC confidence that you will accept their offer of admission, which is quite important to them as they manage yield numbers. If two students are equally qualified they will want to take the one they are most certain will attend and a personalized convincing essay of why USC is the best place to show that. Even telling them it’s your first choice.

1 Like

Congratulations to your daughter!

I do not work for the university so always confirm with them before making a financial decision.

In our experience, it was very difficult to find people at USC that know the nuances of the USC National Merit college sponsored scholarship vs the $2500 NMSC Scholars scholarship.

The half-tuition scholarship is for national merit finalists. As far as the additional college sponsored scholarship, the way an admissions officer explained it to me is that if NMSC awards a student $2500, making them a National Merit Scholar then you are done. You can decline the $2500 but USC will not give the student any additional scholarship on top of their tuition scholarship. If a student is not awarded scholar status from NMSC then USC will award a college sponsored scholarship to designate the student as a scholar.

1 Like

I HAVE A QUESTION. can everybody still withdraw their applications?