USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Yes, and likely we will not see anything like what we saw with UC Berkeley until next Monday at the earliest. (If at all)

(But don’t expect any big hints or reveals.)

Well, you and I clearly disagree… but that is fine. Neither of us are the arbiters of admission for USC or any of its various schools within it.

I have consistently stated and continue to believe that any individual USC applicant’s success will likely depend on too many potential factors for anyone to correctly evaluate… making predicting admission nearly impossible. But this also shows that USC admits many without perfect grades or test scores. They are seeking to admit a freshman class comprised of those who actually have a strong affinity for or connection to USC. USC does I believe strongly consider the concept of fit. And I do not think for a second that they would welcome the opportunity to simply swap their selections with those admitted to Stanford, Duke, etc or any Ivy college, etc. They do aim to admit those who they project will thrive well at USC and bring something unique to the campus environment… the USC campus environment… and no other.

It is not the case that USC is looking for a freshman class of circa 3K comprised necessarily of well-rounded students or even just a collection of stellar students that may be admitted to any other top-25 university. They are instead looking to craft a well-rounded class comprised of unique individuals who might bring something interesting and specifically needed to USC’s campus.

So, in my opinion, future applicants to USC should use the admission process to demonstrate that. Let the readers understand what USC may be gaining by admitting you specifically. You do need to provide a well-thought out and well-researched answer as to why attending USC is truly significant and important to you specifically. And moreover, USC does want to gain a sense as to what you will be uniquely contributing to the greater USC community if admitted.

Before applying, I suggest reading through the very helpful insider’s guide to USC admissions…

An Insider's Look at USC College Admissions • Trojan Family Magazine 76

As I have read through it, and many times, I do get a sense that “fit” is critically important to those admission decision-makers. Clearly, anyone is free to disagree with my opinion or those of @cadreamin. But combined, I think we have like 6 children / applicants who were admitted to and attended USC. I believe that we have developed over time some measure of understanding as to what USC is seeking. I personally have had conversations with faculty and admission decision-makers who echoed back to me these very same thoughts and reflections.

But good luck to those awaiting their decisions and to those reviewing this forum with hopes of gaining admission in future cycles. Take all of this advice from places like CC and elsewhere (and maybe lean toward following the advice of the USC insiders themselves who make the admissions decisions) for what it is worth and judge for yourself accordingly. In my opinion, you will be very well served if you indeed manage to convince USC that you are a good fit for them and vice versa.

6 Likes

Yes… most likely… either via the portal or via a direct email to your AO.

Hello. Is there normally a required specific guideline/format for the appeal letter? - word count, etc.

I believe instructions for appeals are included in the denial letter.

Thanks for sharing.

In the linked article it states, "Staff members look for a mix of students who will help further the university’s mission of advancing knowledge through teaching, research, artistic creation, professional practice and public service. The team must fulfill a responsibility to deans and faculty to fill their classrooms with students whom, as Brunold puts it, they’ll find “compelling.”

This follows along the lines of what we were told. 1. That they are looking for students to further the university’s mission and 2. That they are looking for students that faculty want to teach.

4 Likes

It’s very interesting to think about what USC’s particular fit is. Students whom faculty would want to teach seem like an interesting bunch though. It makes it sound like they want to pick students with interesting and unique perspectives that could grow the most at USC. Similar to what @WWWard mentioned prior. All interesting stuff.

1 Like

You’re welcome… and that was an excellent statement to post.

Re: the fit discussion, I can only speak from our USC SCA admissions experience from a couple of years ago.

Multiple discussions with SCA admissions made it very clear they prioritized fit over stats. They looked for Trojans that (they felt) would expand the SCA influence in the entertainment industry.

From the SCA Admissions Q&A page
Myth: We base our acceptance only on test scores.

Reality: We evaluate applicants on a broad range of criteria: creativity, originality, determination, and the ability to work with others. While academic performance is certainly a part of that overall equation, it is by no means the sole determinant.

3 Likes

Thanks for your input. It matches exactly what we had heard ourselves from both SDA and then SCA. In fact, I was admittedly a bit surprised the first time that I heard a discussion in that vein at SDA. Admissions reps, academic advisers and professors were all emphasizing the importance of projecting an applicant’s success at USC specifically… and vice versa. They were encouraging applicants to be able to really see themselves somewhere before committing to a college or university. It was a rather frank discussion that touched upon the key differences between some of America’s top acting programs. Three years later, we heard basically the same from those within SCA. And I do believe that it all makes sense. Fit goes both ways, and I believe that it is a critical component to maximizing the college experience effectively.

I recall offering you similar advice early on back during your son’s applicant phase. So glad that he ended up at SCA. Hopefully he still thinks that it was the right choice for him. That’s the key element to deciding on a collegiate path… not regretting it years later. I wish such for everyone.

Since you keep asserting this, what is “specifically needed” for their campus that isn’t true of all other top universities?

I’ve taught at a top 10 college so I do have some perspective here.

It really varies by department. Viterbi is looking for something that is different than what SDA or SCA are looking for.

That is likely true as well.

USC to pay 1 billion to settle the case for the USC gynecologist ! I wonder how this news will impact the current admission cycle?!

That makes sense when you are applying into a certain major. But those other schools would also look for those same “fit” for their respective majors too - if they admit by major which not all schools do. Drama or music programs want something different than the business school.

You’re saying you believe that different schools value different parts of a student’s overall “package”? (just trying to follow along)

No, I’m saying that Viterbi might be looking for students who are looking to “engineer a better world for all humanity” and SCA probably wouldn’t be looking for a student who can do that. :joy:

1 Like

Thank you - this is really helpful!!

1 Like

I wouldn’t imagine it would affect applicants or admissions at all.

1 Like

You were very helpful with my son’s admissions process! Deepest thank you a hundred times over @WWWard ! I know many others here echo the sentiment.

Not only is our son a very happy Trojan, he’s building great relationships even with the remote learning.

1 Like