USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

I simply feel that USC in particular is very conscious of their concept of the Trojan Family or Trojan Network and look to admit individuals who they project will thrive well at USC and then look favorably back at their time at USC when alums. They have apparently made determinations over time about which type of applicant will potentially succeed within various programs at USC and generally within the USC campus environment overall. Granted, much of that is likely projected upon an applicant based upon how they apply. But… It is why I have recommended certain approaches to applying.

If you visit USC extensively and actually engage with faculty and admissions reps or academic advisers there… or if you attend USC or send children there, it is simply an understanding that you gain over time. At least that is the impression that I have garnered over the last eight years.

I guess it could be argued that it should not be that way, but I am more focused on how it actually is.

I am merely describing how I perceive it to be in an effort to assist current and future applicants who hope to attend USC. I feel that it is potentially better to understand the prevailing mindset of those at USC before applying to USC. An applicant can disagree that it should matter, and they can apply as they choose and ultimately they can decide to attend where they choose. But I do believe it is something to be aware of about USC and their approach to admissions.

Good luck to your applicant. I presume that you have a child applying this cycle. Hopefully they end up at the right spot for themselves.

So glad to hear it! And you are of course very welcome.

Curious, WWWard, as to what part of the Sunshine State you reside.

Tampa.

It’s admirable how enthusiastic you are and a proud parent too! And you have helped so many people applying with your great well researched answers.

USC alumni are enthusiastic and happy, that’s reflected by their annual giving rate. (Princeton is the clear outlier on that metric though! Williams and Dartmouth too)

It’s just most applicant attributes fall in to “more is better” category. Passion. Enthusiasm. Leadership. Athletics. Involvement. Empathy. Etc. I personally can’t name an attribute “unique” to USC that other schools don’t also value highly.

The great news is most students love their university experience, no matter which school. So even if your dream school rejects you, you’ll probably love where you go. If not, transfer.

Again, your advice to tell USC why you value it so highly is really good snd important for admissions as I mentioned it before, as it convinced them you would accept an offer if admitted.

Bradenton, here. D accepted in February. Sitting on pins & needles between now and April 1.

Glad to hear it. Is April 6th the Ivy decision day?

So we are close by. Congrats on her admission. Good luck with the merit decision.

I personally wonder how schools (more namely Annenberg since that’s where I’m applying) value prior experience/work in the overall application. I guess that’s something I could’ve asked them though.

I heard that they would adjust the acceptance rate to 52% to raise some funds.

2 Likes

Did your daughter end up going as undeclared? My son applied to 2 very competitive SCA majors…we are doubtful that he will get into either. They accept so few!

Yes. She was set on attending USC no matter what if she at least got in. She then internally transferred into SCA as a freshman. She surprisingly got admitted into Princeton off of the waitlist, so she had to re-think her decision after she had already committed to attending USC, but she ultimately she still chose USC. Princeton was tempting, but she did so because of the prospect of SCA, even though she wasn’t admitted there yet for a major, and because she wanted to attend college with her big sister for at least that one year. While SCA is highly competitive, it is somewhat easier to gain entrance as an internal transfer from within USC already versus applying as a high school senior or trying to transfer in externally from another college or university. Over the years, I have read posts detailing many examples of such here on CC.

Good luck to him.

1 Like

Let me ask you — are Ivy League schools interchangeable? What about the Claremont Colleges? Do you think students could fit in equally well at CMC and Pitzer?

This is not rack and stack as the wonderful Lookingforward would say. Fit is not an absurd notion and any admissions presentation I’ve been to has noted it’s importance. Are you looking for a debate? Don’t think that is allowed per TofS.

Hi all,

I received an email today awarding me the $2,500 National Merit Scholarship. I thought I would not get this scholarship given that I already selected USC as my first choice and was invited to interview for a USC Scholarship. Does anyone know if you can get the half-tuition presidential scholarship AND the $2500 scholarship from NMSC? Thank you!

I wasn’t aware of this particular scandal. Very disturbing and outrageous. I wonder if their yield rate will continue to decline. This, on top of the varsity blues scandal is a lot of reputational damage for sure. Last year’s acceptance rate went up by 5-percentage points to 16% from 11% the previous year.

6 Likes

Reply #2225 talks about it.

1 Like

Definitely not a good look for sure :pensive: . I don’t think it would have an affect on their admissions this year (though I could be wrong), but it’s definitely not the best reputation.

I generally divide schools up by large research versus smaller liberal arts, snd urban, suburban and rural.

Within that, there are favors like the importance of athletics and Greek life. Weather can impact too.

Given equal intellectual rankings, within these categories yes I believe students would be equally happy. I went to a few ivy’s and the student bodies were quite similar - within majors. I can see students moving easily between Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, penn and UChicago for example. Vanderbilt, Duke, Virginia, USC, etc. if they loved USC they would love Duke, Norte Dame Stanford, or Vanderbilt, using these as just examples.

There may be preferences based on location or size, or sports, but the students would prosper equally and be very happy.

As for Pomona, Claremont, etc that same student would love Williams, Amherst, Bowdoin, etc. and those students would love and do great at Stanford, Princeton, etc.

There are far more similarities than differences at these levels.

The size of the school and the rural vs urban would be the biggest factor I think, not any differences in your classmates.

Unless the school is extremely specialized, no one has yet been able to make one specific “fit” element that USC looks for that Duke wouldn’t as well.

I believe all the applicants here which are if they quality to apply credibly to USC will end up with a great college experience no mater where they go. They have already shown drive and ambition.

1 Like

It sounds like you view fit as what will make the student happy. I view fit as what will make the university happy.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with your observation, but on both sides. The student can apply wherever they want to go; the school can only offer those who apply And hopefully accept.

Have you seen how classes are put together? They budget among different attributes. Including ability to pay. By those attributes, these schools are quite similar. (Gender, geography, race, etc).

Within those buckets, they take the most qualified. Good stats, and then the intangibles that show passion, leadership etc.

They want a diverse student body. What “fit” is important to USC that isn’t important to every other elite university? And they want as much certainty as you can give them that you will accept their offer.

Every school says the same thing.