USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Oh, well that explains it thanks…I’m not even applying there

1 Like

Fair enough. Thanks. It does seem unkind at a minimum to reach out at such a late interval if for no actual reason. But I get it.

Okay, for the sake of letting CC know (frankly, I shouldn’t be poking my head through things like this because it is dangerous (this should be reported to their IT guys, and I plan on doing so shortly))

The things you found were a part of a hidden dropdown tab. Each option is an admission code but when you go to withdraw, it defaults to the withdrawal option. However, someone with malicious intent could change their admission code to (example) Spring.

This is a dangerous piece of code left over since it’s not leftover code. It’s purposely hidden in the form.

They need to change this soon before people start doing things with it :worried:

Edit: I do think they are more careful about confirming admits and I don’t think stuff like this can theoretically change someone’s status but I definitely think it’s dangerous nonetheless.

Edit 2: Please anyone and everyone lurking on this board. DO NOT TOUCH THAT FORM.

1 Like

I have never had this explained to me so well. I have tried to explain to our D21 why she was rejected to UCLA. Ultimately she concluded she had not convinced them well enough that this is “The School” for her. And admittedly, it probably would not have been a good fit for her or the school.

It is unfortunate that students have to understand this complicated system with data analytics and yield protection and so on. College admissions ought to be more straightforward and predictable. Colleges can use complex data analysis to guess which students are likely to accept but hapless students can’t run data analysis to determine which colleges are likely to accept. Colleges, especially public ones, ought to minimize the guesswork and use more objective criteria to admit students. Students need to be able to control their own destiny through hard work. That’s only possible if guesswork and data analytics and so on is minimized.

2 Likes

It gets even worse…they are being tracked. Everyone realize please these are sophisticated businesses.

From the Washington Post, as an example:
“ Colleges are collecting more data about prospective students than ever before — part of an effort, administrators say, to make better predictions about which students are the most likely to apply, accept an offer and enroll. Records reviewed by The Post show that at least 44 public and private universities in the United States work with outside consulting companies to collect and analyze data on prospective students, by tracking their Web activity or formulating predictive scores to measure each student’s likelihood of enrolling.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/10/14/colleges-quietly-rank-prospective-students-based-their-personal-data/%3FoutputType=amp

Again, these schools want to manage to an average revenue per student. They are only “need blind” within categories.

It’s likely impossible not to.

Some schools, however, have to play down demonstrated interest to avoid getting presents in the mail or calls to the admission office just for the sake of making a call. The demonstrated interest should be there in the essay on knowing how USC may be a fit for you.

And, unfortunately, in the profile they can create on you to statistically generalize.

1 Like

Did any merit scholarship candidates receive emails today?

No emails – but the information is somehow on the portal.

1 Like

Does anyone know what time decisions will be released?

Is it possible we will be notified on the 1st?

No, they said March 30

1 Like

D would be thrilled to be accepted to the SDA program. However given the high price of the school… does anyone know of scholarships awarded within there? Nothing came out with the early admits since someone motioned all auditions and interviews would not of been completed by then. Is it possible to be accepted and then find a awesome surprise on the Financial Aid letter?

I believe Deans, Leadership, and other departmental scholarships can still be awarded at admission :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Have a D21 in same boat waiting on Thornton Popular Music. From what I’ve been able to gain from this board, there are instances in the past where performance majors have been offered merit scholarships when they are notified of acceptance. Almost sounds as if the performance majors fall into a separate category during the merit notification round in January since many of these performance departments are still conducting call back auditions. I also know there are times when these performance majors don’t hear admission results on the same day as non-performance majors (March 30th for this year) - sometimes lagging behind up to 2 weeks. :sweat_smile:

Thank you for the insight! - Geeez we may even have to sweat it out even longer!!! :rofl: what’s another 2 weeks?!

Kaufman has wait-list? thought USC does not have wait-list, maybe school specific

Apparently, I read that one of the buttons on FAST portal disappeared. Have fun speculating :slightly_smiling_face:

Wait why my FAST portal still says application in review? and also to check my citizenship status even though I turned that in months ago?