USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

My son got presidential at Dornsife. He is also NM so if he lists USC first he would get the same. Huge incentive to attend!

1 Like

Wow, that’s a pretty harsh assessment, and you’re right, it’s your opinion.

My teen committed to Northeastern over the weekend after a campus tour last week. They loved the campus, the location, and flexibility of switching majors, doing combined majors or adding minors. The coop is a big draw because they’re still exploring majors. The very generous merit scholarship for being a NMF and the Honors housing was a bonus. Of the $500K+ in total merit scholarships my teen received from schools, Northeastern became their top pick after their visit.

I haven’t visited the school myself due to Covid restrictions, and that’s why I was curious when I read your comment. The parents group on Facebook has been very helpful and their kids seem to love the school. There’s a lot of positive energy. The very high 1st year retention rate is a good indication of that.

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

You are absolutely correct in your assessment, midwestmum. We were In Boston yesterday for our NU admitted tour and walked away very impressed. Did not come close to what the other poster had to say.

We are in L.A. now visiting UCLA and USC.

1 Like

Oh, I appreciate your kind comment! It’s such a challenge making these decisions during this time, and as parents, we worry if our child made the right decision.

In the end, it’s their choice to make and all we can do is support them. We live far from Boston, so I have my fingers crossed for my teen.

I didn’t mean to digress from the main topic. Now that the decision posts have died down, I hope people here will excuse this poor mom’s worried question!

Hello. I am a native New Englander and lived and worked in Boston for many years as a adult. My son was accepted to Northeastern, BC, BU, USC, Carnegie Mellon, etc. While he is still deciding on where he wants to go, and is unlikely to choose Northeastern, you cannot beat Boston as a place to live and get an education. Those who choose to attend Northeastern will have an unbelievable experience living in one of the best cities in the world. Northeastern’s COOP program is indeed unique and while not for everyone, I have been left with a very positive overall impression of Northeastern. I know this is a USC thread, but I just came across the recent posts about Northeastern – just had offer my opinion. Good luck to all.

2 Likes

PS: Good luck with you LA visit! I hope it all goes well for your teen. Some great choices there!

Thank you!! You’re so kind to offer your opinion as a New Englander.

I’ve realized that there are no absolutes here. What may not be right for one student might be perfect for another.

Your student has some great choices! Good luck!

USC was on my student’s original college list. But the cost was too high for us - at the time the kid was considering pre-med and wanted to graduate med school debt free (we’d saved up), and picked schools with best chance for merit $. USC sounds like a great school in a nice sunny place! Congratulations!

1 Like

Hi, I am a merit scholarship finalist, but I was only awarded the Director’s scholarship. I hope this does not come off as arrogant, but I guess I was expecting more. I thought the interview went at least decently since I could comfortably answer their questions about my essays and why usc. Do you know the reason for giving out these scholarships?

Stats: 3.98UW/4.74W, 1590 SAT, Top 5%, Cognitive Science Major

Hello! Thank you for all the info you’ve posted so far about Spring Admits. My D21 is looking into staying home and doing courses via a nearby CC in the Fall, then moving to CA for the Spring. As parents, we are seriously concerned about her on-campus housing for the Spring. USC specifically states that this is NOT guaranteed and depends on availability of space opening up with kids going to study abroad and winter graduates. I am concerned that the numbers will not pan out as kids will not be going abroad due to the lingering pandemic. There is the option of Gateway housing, but even that may be very limited. The idea that she will be moving to a new city for school far away from things she knows BUT not be guaranteed housing is very unnerving to say the least. She loves USC and this has been her first choice ever since she visited 2 years ago. She also has other great school options for Fall admission so we are very torn. I am planning to call the USC housing office, but I am hoping you can have some honest, first hand insight for me. Thanks in advance!

I agree with your assessment. Their co-op program is strong, but I would be concerned about the social aspect given so much transitioning.

My D21 is deciding between USC and Northeastern. She felt an immediate affinity for NEU when we toured two years ago. NEU, USC, and NYU were her top choices. (WL at NYU.) It’s urban but also has a campus feel. Boston is like a huge college town with over 300K students. I attended Cal Poly SLO and their approaches are similar: learn by doing/experiential learning. But NEU has the added advantage of all Boston has to offer. In addition to co-ops, D21 is excited about the Dialog of Civilizations global learning opportunity. And NEU handled COVID better than almost any university in the country. Hybrid classes, dorms open, regular testing, and very low case rate. (Granted USC was impeded by its location in LA County.) But NEU protocols are being used as a model for other unis to reopen. It’s a very different school/experience than USC, but D21 can see herself at both. (She received significant merit at NEU and USC would be full pay, but that is my problem, not hers. LOL) Big decision to make in the next 30 days!

1 Like

I don’t know if this helps at all but USC has not assigned housing for returning students yet. When they asked students to submit whether they were interested in on campus housing, one question was if the student would be interested in living farther off campus, in housing that was managed by the university (likely needing to take a shuttle to campus). I don’t know exactly what USC has in mind but some students who are looking at signing private leases off campus are being told that a certain amount of apartment units are being held for the university in case they need them.

USC shared this site with returning students: Off Campus Housing.

You might consider joining the USC parent FB group and ask about housing there. Many newly accepted Trojans have joined and housing is a common topic of conversation.

Thank you! I will look into that. Did not know of the FB parent group. Thanks so much!!

That’s not accurate in our area. My son (spring admit) is strong, has zero connection to the school, no sibling, etc. He goes to the #1 ranked public school in TX and last year 3 out of 4 admitted to USC from his high school were admitted for Spring. One of those 3 was the salutatorian of the class (another one scored 1580 on the SAT). And we have since learned that for whatever reason, it is common practice for USC to admit kids in our area in the Spring.

2 Likes

Ah, I remember you from the Northeastern thread! Aren’t you the parent who was bitter that their child got into the NUin program (and not the main Boston program), and called it “second class”, much to the chagrin of other members with amazing stats who were proud and excited about their NUin acceptances?

I hope you’ve moved on, like everyone suggested you do. Sometimes we parents take our kid’s outcomes too personally and I completely understand. It’s hard to let go of our disappointment.

Good luck to your student!! Best to you!

1 Like

If you are a NMF and you select USC as your first-choice with NMSC then you are guaranteed the Presidential Scholarship (half tuition).

You have until May 31 to declare a first-choice university with NMSC. If you plan to attend USC, I would declare sooner than later to get the Presidential.

Hi! I know a lot of people in here has dealt with USC financial aid in the past and I just wanted to ask a question. I recently got the presidential scholarship which I’m so greatful for but I really need the full in order to attend. Does anyone think they would possibly give me more money if I talk to them or even bump me up to trustee?

Reposting from earlier hoping someone has some insight :slight_smile:

Does anyone know if scholarships are offered to SDA Freshman?
I know the big ones everyone is receiving news about now exists… however when those early notifications came out in Feb the School of Dramatic Arts was not yet done with interviews and auditions.

@ttowner I’ve been dealing with with housing and leases for a USC student for the last 10 years. We’ve been paying for a lease all through covid (weeee!), but luckily mine has spent a lot of time going back and forth (there except around the holiday period), so it wasn’t a total throw away of $. And we love her apt and location. But with having so many attending there over such a long period, we have been through some doozies too.

Totally understand the concern of housing and I believe USC is just hedging with all the uncertainty for spring admits. Not knowing how many per room would be allowed, they have had to put out a protection plan in housing expectations. They want to continue to give spring admits the housing guarantee and I know it will be a priority to do so. I feel strongly you will have housing, but without that in writing, that is no warm and fuzzy, totally get it. If you don’t, there are good options literally step across from campus to hedge the uncertainty.

Couple things to clarify that a new parent might not see:

• the link above is just an advertisement for apartments near USC. They aren’t “holding” an amount for USC students, everything listed there pretty much only rents to USC students anyway. USC is not your landlord in those situations, they are privately owned. The terms of their leases apply. The are all mostly 12 month rather than school year or you pay quite a bit more a month for less than 12 (just offered by the larger complexes).

• the question being asked of being willing to live farther from campus for returning students really only pertains to sophomores, because only freshman and sophomores have a housing guarantee (and upperclassman on campus is a small amount, most have off campus housing). They will prioiritize freshman on campus and the 'farther" housing would be for sophomores is them turning small apartment complexes they do own currently from upperclassman to sophomore housing.

• just fyi…after sophomore year most students don’t want to live on campus anyway, they are to “grown up” for the restrictions of dorm style living. Many freshman transition to outside housing the next year as well as they are done with dorms too.

The housing office is fantastic to work with, I have friends there, and while they may not be able to give you difinitives, they keep it real, so call them. They will be more reliable than people that don’t have experience with housing around USC.

• lastly, I would be more concerned with the social of being a spring admit that has to live off campus to start, than the housing itself since there are lots of housing options nearby. I would be asking how they intend this group to bond which has always been important to them, and consider things your D should do to find her peeps in that situation…but I just don’t see USC putting spring admits in outside housing if they can in any any way prevent that. Transfers totally, spring admits, no.

• a lot of these precautions/warning were put out do to uncertainty of covid and are temporary, if they can get the same number of people in a room as they had, lots will be back to normal. Kids going abroad is a bit of it, but the biggest influence is covid limitations which may be lifted (let’s hope)!!!

Glad to offer up the good places/property mgmt groups to work with and who to avoid, but hoping you don’t need that, at least for spring.

2 Likes

This is so helpful, thank you!