USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Actually, always wondered that too, like can you just do Marshall… @AggieMom68 may know, hers is in WBB and loving it a couple years in (even during the pandemic)!

Seems the financial aid information is being updated periodically. My daughter checked the portal today and sent me a message that it was NOT good. Essentially, said we need to cover it ALL ourselves. Which seems like a mistake! I’ll obviously have to call/email her AO and get more info from financial aid office.

I’m completely baffled b/c she received merit money from other schools that use CSS–NYU, American, Drexel. But USC basically gave NOTHING but $2700. Made me wonder if they forgot to add a zero. If this is her actual award, then the admissions acceptance is nothing more than a false positive.

Her dream school stays a dream…

1 Like

I just wonder… if the SCA and SDA Depts. know just how fortunate and thrilled the accepted students already feel and know that a sticker will be enough! lol

2 Likes

Thanks SO much for taking the time to write all that down… so helpful! The USC Hotel is already booked for the night we’re going to be there, but I found a JW Marriott in the LA Live area… so I think we’ll plan to stay there and check that area out in the evening. Thanks again for all the help!

3 Likes

Full $80,000+ per year? I know the feeling to be shocked :frowning:

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. I guess the stereotype about USC being expensive might be true. Good luck with the financial aid office. They were not helpful when I called.

1 Like

Have you tried using their calculator? Does it show the same attendance cost?

Great advice! :slight_smile:

@sparky232 and those mentioning a visit soon, if the kids (or you) would like to go into the bookstore (who can resist a campus bookstore?), you will need an appointment which you can make here, or just start on the USC Bookstore homepage.

@jea641 Upgrade! JW Marriott is in the heart of it all, so great choice.

Enjoy the visits everyone!

I still remember being there with one of my D’s. Had been at the school many times before and she had been there, but this was her time, as she was now visiting as an admitted student. She had gotten ahead of me a few steps as I was doing something on my phone…When I looked up, she turned around to look at me and things just froze for those few seconds…I saw the backdrop of USC behind her, and at that moment I knew she was home and she was making the right choice. It was really a rainbow/Hallmark kind of moment, I will never forget it, still makes me smile inside. Whether at USC or somewhere else, may you all find that rainbow for your student.

8 Likes

I would have your friend call USC admissions and ask. And if you find out, I’d love to know too.

Forgive my ignorance - we’re from the Northeast - what is LA Live? And is it open during covid?

There’s no dumb questions! LA Live is an sports and entertainment center in the heart of dowtown framed by JW Marriott, Ritz Carlton the Staples Center and other entertainment venues. It is a like a big town square (for lack of better term) filled with restaurants, bars, movie theaters, night clubs, music venues, etc. They have videos/ads/stuff projected on the sides of the taller buildings making it like a mini Times Square. Very clean and nice, a good place to go on a weekend night if close to the downtown area, as the students tend to go there for different things. The Yardhouse is a hot spot for students (and everyone) when USC is playing as it’s a big sports bar. LA Live is open - CA keeps opening more and more every week, but these restaurants always have outside seating anyway since it’s socal.

Of course there are other areas you can stay in if you want the beach experience while visiting like Manhattan Beach or Marina Del Rey (next to Venice Beach). Then it’s a drive into USC (25 min or so), but not too bad during off commute times. Depends on how long you are here and what you want to do…

Just check websites for current restrictions and openings on your travels.

My son maybe looking at doing data science but is offered as a B.A. instead of B.S. Should that be a concern when it comes employment/career? Also, why don’t they offer it as a B.S. like most highly ranked schools?

In regards to housing, why do you guys think the 4 person double-loft in the McCarthy Honors building is 3600/semester when most other housing is 5000+?

Generally speaking, the cost for housing decreases with the more students per unit, with singles usually the most expensive.

For those who are visiting, Grand Central Market is a fun place to eat.

2 Likes

The lofts are tiny compared to the other 4P suites. Also, the loft has a single bathroom for 4 people while the other suites have 2 bathrooms for 4 people.

Ok, I will follow up with you if I find out the answer!

You get what you pay for in housing. Lofts are tiny, like really really small for 4 people, not a fan.

Has anyone had trouble with their financial aid package? According to my family’s situation I should qualify for free tuition as per the USC Affordability Initiative but when I got the FA package USC only gave me grants and loans. I’m really grateful for the aid but I’m confused on why I didn’t get free tuition when I’m 100% sure I qualify?

1 Like