USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

A normal academic load is 16 units per semester for undergraduate students. Exact amount of classes depends on how many units/credits each class is. Many are 4 units, so in that case, four of those classes would be 16 credits. But there are also 1, 2, 3 and 5 unit classes, so it’s not a strict number of classes per semester. Most take 15-18 credits which is generally 4-6 classes. Then as @WWWard mentioned, there are options to take more than 18 units which are allowed for free with certain honors standing, or you can choose to pay for. As upperclassmen, my double majors frequently carried 21 units. Permission to enroll in more than 20 units requires written approval from the school or home department. As a new college student, the typical 15-16 credit/units per semester is the norm. Also, look at the load of the courses, the writing 140/340 courses require a lot of papers/time, or a math class for some may require more hours of study, so how you bundle your classes each semester makes a difference on how many units you should be carrying on the low and high ends of the spectrum. Their advisor(s) will help them with a four year plan after they get to USC (and that can change many times over the four years, but it’s a framework they use).

Do I need to open a student checking account at a separate bank or will I have a USC student account from which I can withdraw money?

You should open an account, that card will have more flexibility around town than the USC card used for laundry and local eateries. It will also help you start building credit history. The USC Credit Union has an office on campus and they make it easy to set up account at the start of a school year. Or any of the national banks, whichever you prefer.

I do agree that sometimes the worse the room the better the year, but when it comes to room mates, there are some that can ruin a year.

Not that it relates too much to this group, but USC virtual and in person graduation ceremonies are going on today through the end of next week! So happy that USC had the forsight to plan in person graduation knowing mandates would change rather than planning on the protocols in place at the time decisions had to be made. Glad families are able to travel in to attend and kept their reservations made a year ahead of time (yes a year ahead of time and paid in full for many arrangements). Bravo to USC and all attending, thrilled graduation is live this year!

2 Likes

Indeed. So glad to be back in L.A. and at the USC Village, etc. And the weather is so much better than it is currently in Florida. Kudos to USC for pulling it off.

2 Likes

Congrats on another Trojan graduate in the fam!

Thank you! And right back at you… congrats on her graduation too.

1 Like

Let me know how long your ceremony is - we are trying to plan dinner reservations after a 3:30 event start time. Weather is fantastic throughout the week of ceremonies - like low 70s yay!

Does anyone have the new housing letter re vaccinated getting priority? Could you paste the body here if so? I heard about it, but would love to have the correct details, thanks!

Came in an email to the students. I’ll try to copy and paste for you.

THANK YOU very much!

Was it sent to their new usc.edu emails?

Below is the link from the provost re: Vaccinations and Testing (dated 4/27/21). Apologies if I am reposting old information.

Will do. Yep… the weather is great. Went to Perch, the rooftop restaurant / bar downtown, last night and will be trying High (atop the Erwin Hotel) and Scopa Italian Roots in Venice tonight.

Do people have any suggestions on hotels to stay in for dropping off incoming freshman daughter in August? D and I plan to fly out a day or two before her dorm move-in day. The closer to campus, ideally within walking distance, the better. Thanks for any suggestions–and congratulations to the class of 2021 graduates!

USC Hotel if you can get a room. The best way to stay for USC anything. They fill up fast. Right across the street.

1 Like

My daughter got a box from Marshall today via FedEx. Can’t wait for her to get home and open it up so I can see what’s inside!

1 Like

Will be a treat for her ears I believe.

Made reservations for the Perch for one of the nights there - thanks for calling that one out!

Oh, I hope!