USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

May 13, 2021

Welcome New Trojans!

Congratulations on your admission and enrollment at USC. We are excited that you have chosen to continue your education at USC and look forward to formally welcoming all of you into the Trojan Family this Fall. Thanks to decreasing COVID-19 rates in Los Angeles and the increasing availability of vaccinations, we are planning a return to in-person instruction and student life activities for the Fall semester, as well as resuming typical occupancy in USC Housing.

We know many of you have questions about the measures the university is taking to ensure a safe return to campus. We will be introducing a number of public health precautions to maintain campus safety, including a vaccination requirement for all on-campus students, faculty, and staff. Last month, we highlighted USC’s COVID-19 vaccine policy in a message to the Trojan Community. We will communicate additional details throughout the summer as the public health situation evolves. If you are unable to obtain a vaccine prior to your arrival on campus, USC Student Health will offer to vaccinate you when you are here.

Those of you awaiting housing assignments will receive updates on your pending applications in the near future. Please note that housing priority will be given to students who will be fully vaccinated, though there will be housing options available for those who are not vaccinated for recognized medical or religious reasons.

We understand that many of our international students continue to face hurdles in traveling to the United States this Fall. Our Office of International Services is doing all it can to support students and regularly posts important updates to its website.

Please continue to follow updates on our COVID-19 Resource Center and the We Are SC site. General questions about the USC campus vaccination and testing programs may be directed to the COVID-19 hotline, (213) 740-6291, or covid19@usc.edu.

We can’t wait to see you on our campuses this Fall. Until then, stay safe, be well, and Fight On!

1 Like

Thank you so much @drewcollege4 ! Helps to keep current and my peeps are busy with graduation. Speaking of, here is what a socially distanced graduation looks like at an 80,000 person coliseum!

2 Likes

I will admit, I wondered about the limit of 2 per student (but you could petition for 2 more) with all this space, but good on them for pulling it off regardless!

2 Likes

Yes

It wasn’t for her ears. Super cute Marshall hats (one for her and two for parents) a USC bag which appears to be for the beach but can be for anything; it’s wipeable inside. And a darling thin wrap/towel.

1 Like

Oh fun stuff! Sounds like they changed it up a bit, probably cause everyone has ear buds by now, when they started doing it, they were sorta new to have. :slight_smile:

Very socal package! Thornton give sweatshirts that can’t be bought in the bookstore so it is very coveted to have one, I love when the schools do their own cool welcome gifts. Thanks for sharing!

You’re welcome. The food was good there, but the downtown rooftop view is the real attraction. Scopa Italian Roots in Venice was very good too. The pasta especially was excellent.

Hi all - my daughter is trying to nail down some specifics about AP credits but website is vague and answers from the school have also been vague. Does anyone know how many credits you need to be able to register early? It sounds like all freshmen regardless of AP credits register during orientation but then when they go to register for 2nd semester freshman year - how many AP credits would they need to register early? Do they need a full year’s worth of 32 credits or just 16 or some other number? (She’s trying to decide if she wants to take all 5 of her AP exams - she has three APs from last year that will count and if she gets at least 4s on all five this year - she’d have 32 credits.) Thanks! (Oh - and she will be in Marshall)

S21 planned on taking 5 AP exams, but recently dropped 2 of them (and informed his AO) because USC would not offer credit for those exams regardless of the score. This is in context with USC’s GE requirements for entering freshmen and which AP exams could be counted towards GE credit. I don’t know if and how exams would count for early class registration in the 2nd semester.

I would ask the USC admissions counselor for clarification.

1 Like

Frankly, never considered credits and registration time…just not necessary. They always got their classes, and as a freshman, you need a zillion classes so have the utmost flexibility in scheduling. They sign up when their slot opens…this isn’t a UC - you pretty much get the classes you want/need without insane competition. And if it is something you really need for your major, the advisor/professor can make it happen. Sometimes getting a random GE ends up being a really eye opening/enlightening experience versus the cool popular ones. There are just so many options. Also, kids flip flop in and out of classes all the time, so class spots open up all the time, they just keep an eye out on OASIS if they would rather attend at 11:00am than 8:00am. Just don’t think this is a real problem. I don’t think taking the tests for that reason is a very compelling one.

As mentioned above, AP credit at USC, isn’t always what people expect it to be, def more restrictive acceptance of the scores and what they get you than other schools.

1 Like

Look for the chrome extension called “USC Schedule Helper.” It is really helpful.

Thanks! I guess I have PTSD from my older son. Registration is a nightmare for him and he’s at a smallish private college. Good to know it’s not an issue at USC.

1 Like

I think my daughter has figured out that AP US History and AP Physics will each waive a general education requirement and AP Calc BC will waive the Marshall Calc requirement? And everything else would just fulfill credits toward free electives.

I am planning to visit USC in June. Is the campus close for visitors? Should I park at the Village?

The campus is not closed to visitors but make sure you have your Trojan Check ready.

The Village is an easy place to park. Don’t forget to validate your parking at Target or Trader Joes.

@lkg4answers Got it. Thanks.

The parking lots on campus are open as well. You just won’t be able to go into buildings but plenty to see just walking around. Food places and retail at Village are all open, campus eateries are not, bookstore is by appt.

@CADREAMIN Thank you so much. Always appreciate the forum champions to answer questions.

1 Like

As an update… the campus was wide open and the bookstore was actually open for walk-ups yesterday too. There was just a line to limit the # in the store at any one time.

Great trip overall. USC Hotel was great and super convenient as always. Saw lots of interesting restaurants and bars this trip. Now back to Florida.

Good luck with her graduation. Hopefully it goes as smooth as ours was.

Awe sounds like wonderful trip! Thanks for update on campus. Are buildings open too? I’m glad bookstore is open for all those grad shoppers! The USC Hotel is always the place to stay, it’s only gotten better over the years and since USC bought it.