USC Class of 2026 — Regular Decision

We were always a move-in and go family. Get the stuff in, some help setting up, grab some food together and bounce. Never considered staying the night and hanging out for days there. Didn’t consider waiting around for convocation, imo (and I get those that think it’s cool) it’s just sorta silly. But I think it’s for the students. I just didn’t want to be the reason they missed out on meeting someone great cause we were hanging around. As Rafiki said in Lion King, “It is TIME.”

What we did do with my many Trojans was got a really nice hotel in Marina Del Rey for 2 nights before move-in and had a very special time doing some socal stuff - Venice/Santa Monica/Malibu - on way to move in. Whichever siblings could go with new Trojan came along, it was so memorable with time to soak it in over great dinners and walks on the beach before getting to USC. We all really remember that time enroute to USC. Then once at USC, they were at USC. So day of move-in we were only there a few hours.

We had “the luxury” of being able to drive 6 hours to get there, and with an athlete we would go often, so I do see for some families this is their time to discover USC as well, and/or they may not be back for all four years. But even then, it’s not a time to smother them, try to do that before USC so you can let them move on when there and feel free to engage in their new world, whether you stay for a few hours or few days.

2 Likes

We are a move in and go family too! We didn’t stay for convocation even though we are less than an hour away. After freshman year in her bedroom- she was ready to start her on campus experience.

2 Likes

Is there any program the gives you priority in choosing the classes ? We assumed that a merit scholarship would give priority (in UC they offered a merit scholarship that included priority in housing and classes adjudication) but was not the case. My son could not enroll in his desired options

Not really, but there is a lot of movement in classes between now and August, so he just has to keep an eye on the registration portal. Major classes were never a problem for mine, but the really cool general ed classes (there are a few that everyone wants) were the ones that were hard to get at times.

As classes get critical, major specific or are really needed in a pre-req chain, they can email a prof/talk to their advisor to get in, but as a freshman, there are usual so many classes to take that are needed, that they usually end up getting what they want/need. Certainly not the times they want, but the classes.

Which class(es) is he having a hard time getting in?

Hi there. I have a very random question to ask you, please.:slight_smile: Our daughter has her New North dorm room number but we don’t know which floor it is on. It’s four digits 121_. Do you think that denotes a first floor room? We can’t seem to find this info anywhere; perhaps for privacy reasons.

Any insight is appreciated!
Thank you!

Hello. My son was on the third floor at New North and his number was 134_.
So, I suspect the 121_ means that she is on the second floor. I’ll connect with my son this weekend to confirm and if I found out differently, I’ll let you know. Congratulations to your daughter on her decision to attend USC. I can’t say enough good things about the school. It has exceeded all expectations so far.

1 Like

As @CADREAMIN mentioned, there is a lot of movement in and out of classes. Unlike the UCs, he is not limited to waiting for a second pass time to sign up for classes. If there is an opening at 2 am, he can snag it.

I mentioned earlier that students should download the USC Schedule Helper Chrome extension. The Schedule Helper has an option to be notified when there is an opening in a full class. There are others who are also waiting for classes so, if he receives notification that there is an opening, he should jump on it quickly.

He did the registration and did not shared with us his classes, just commented the he could not get what he wanted.
He is also worried because the main classes he chose will probably need to be changed after he receives his final IB grades. He hopes to get good grades in certain subjects and be able to skip to the next level, but he will only get them in July, and then will need to change everything to make it fit?

That’s a very good tip. Thank you :wink:

Unless you are pressed for time, I recommend attending the convocation the day after move in. Last fall parents of freshman and sophomores attended and there were over 10,000 in the crowd. The ceremony is uniquely USC since parents are included and it kicks off your student’s USC years. They wear gowns and march in by school. It was especially meaningful last fall since most freshman and sophomores were back on a campus for the first time in 18 months.

1 Like

For those that have been to orientation in the past, do parents really need to be there all day? I’ve been dealing with back issues and I would love my son to go but not sure if I can last walking all day. Would it be weird to drop him off and pick him up after? Thanks!!

Not at all. You split up anyway. Plenty of people drop off and come back. It’s an important day for them, but for parents, there’s nothing vital learned that isn’t on their website or that you don’t already know. It’s more about making parents comfortable/happy about student being there, not specifics.

1 Like

My estimate from the last on campus orientations was that about 50%-60% of the students did not have a parent there for the day. So, no, it would not be unusual to drop off. If you are able, I’d suggest walking around some prior to walking over to the check-in that morning. Just like 15 minutes to take in the beauty of the campus and a few of the fountains. Then taking off for the day.

1 Like

Thank you!

Do you think it’s worth making the trip to go to the orientation? What do the students get out if it?

I think a student should do the on-campus orientation unless it is too big a financial burden because of travel expenses. The school wants to introduce the students to each other–their peers for the next four years; to introduce some of the traditions of USC; and to let them know a bit more about student life at their new “home.” It is a way to say congrats!! - you did this and now you can celebrate that you are a part of the Trojan Family! If it is like past events, Lisa Starr, the director of Orientation, and her crew will have the students wishing they could stay on campus beginning that day. Because the orientation crew is made up almost entirely of students, the new students can get some insider information on questions they may have about managing first year and their academic load.

4 Likes

Thank you for the info! I guess we’ll be going!

I recommend going as well because I hear many stories that is where students make some of their first and best friends - at orientation. Every time you are there it feels more like home.

3 Likes

Indeed. My daughter and I attended orientation yesterday and it truly felt like home. The sit down lunch was a nice touch, too. We also met up with one of my childhood friends and his son. By chance, they will be living in the same dorm, two floors away. If that’s not kismet, IDK what is!

6 Likes

What a great experience! Thanks for sharing. Trojan family. :slight_smile: :v:

1 Like