USC Class of 2026 — Regular Decision

Very nice of Thornton. Decision was released on Friday and DS got it today (in Oregon).

12 Likes

Totally agree that any of the building around the quad are excellent with subtle differences between them that aren’t big factors in deciding. I think freshman act like it’s one big building they way they go in and out each others dorms.

Parkside is great for those that prefer suite style with AC. While on the other side of campus, it’s a nice community there. I had an engineer that lived there and those in his suite and pretty much the floor were all science/math type majors - they really do a good job of room mate matching if you need help with that and you answer the questionarre honestly. He ended up living with his roomate and other suitemates all four years around USC, by senior year 10 of them had a townhouse together. And post USC, they are still sharing aparments.

Point is, great things come out of any housing arrangement as the students you will share your life with are pretty fab.

2 Likes

Yay the coveted sweatshirt!!!

It’s a collector’s - it’s the only one not sold in the bookstore, so they only way you get one is having an in or being in at Thornton!

5 Likes

One of my favorite pics is my D wearing that with the Thornton hat toasting with a cup of coffee, knowing she was in the major of her dreams. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Daughter Admitted Fall
Econ-Math
4.0 UW
4.7 W
1510 SAT submitted
Accepted: UCLA, UC Berkeley, U-Mich, U-Virginia
Waitlisted: U-Chicago
12 AP classes
Leadership all 4 years of high school, clubs, varsity sports,
Excited to join her Trojan siblings!

Congratulations to everyone that was admitted, and best of luck to everyone else!

5 Likes

That is awesome!! I heard Marshall also gives cool gifts. Anyone know if Dornsife does the same as well? Probably not tbh

1450 SAT submitted 4.72 GPA weighted. 5 AP’s lots of leadership (vball captain, class officer, mentor, honor societies) tv studio at high school 3 years of TV classes. Submitted two short films from that. Scholar athlete awards for sports. LOR from tv teacher and teacher/coach. Essays were very focused

In at UT Austin, USC, Villanova, Providence, and BU with no $. Chapman LMU and Syracuse with $

She is northeast public school. Siblings went to BC/PC for business so we are semi uniformed on film schools. Down to UT or USC and I could make arguements for both. Open to any and all feedback regarding USC/SCA/LA

2 Likes

My D22 got rejected too. 4.0/4.7GPA, 1560 SAT, NMF, Key club president and lots of ECs. She got in UCB. The admission process does feel a bit random. And the NMF seems play a role negatively as I was warned by some folks before. I know that’s counterintuitive.

1 Like

I got an email earlier today that said a Marshall acceptance package is on its way! Super excited to get it.

1 Like

Congratulations, @ViolinCelloDad !!! DD got her Thornton sweatshirt in the mail today too, what a nice surprise. Good to hear it’s limited edition, @CADREAMIN , and great to hear about your DD too.

3 Likes

D22 received an email from USC this evening with an invitation to the Viterbi pathways program. Looks more like a transfer opportunity with no guarantee. Anyone aware of this program?

D22 is deciding between CalPoly CS and UMich Ann Arbor COE.

1 Like

I think it is unfortunate that students who accept offers at other schools and have no intention of attending another college keep their applications live ‘just to see’ if they can get in. Just my two cents.

5 Likes

My daughter has had excellent premed advising and has changed her major 3 times (in the process now for hopefully the last time!)

1 Like

Sorry - meant to respond to the person asking you the question!

1 Like

Do you know if the Thornton kids will also get “the package” that I’ve heard of from previous years - the one in the white box? Did anyone get an admissions package yet this year?

1 Like

In 2019 some appeals resulted in admission. More that year than the typical number. Typically very few have resulted in an admission in prior years. Best advice is to have a new thing to hook the appeal to–new honor, new award something like that. Downside of appeal is that you’ll likely not hear back until after commit (deposit) date at another school. But if your student absolutely wants to go to USC above all other schools …

He received an email. He also chose USC as his 1st chose with NMSC before the March 1st deadline. I believe it was the middle of February that he let them know.

2 Likes

How hard is it to change majors at USC? My daughter got in under Bio a premed track. Wants to stay premed but wants to change her major should she decide to go there.

Not hard at all. She was initially in Dornsife, switched to another school, and is now in the process of going back to Dornsife. She has met several times with advisors at both schools, with both guiding her what to do.

5 Likes

Very easy. One of mine changed hers 5 times and involving 4 different schools. (Ya some use college to explore new passions and don’t know their path coming in!) But happy to say ended up in the perfect major. Engineering and Marshall have some prereqs, some are just letting advisor know and signing a piece of paper.

4 Likes