USC Class of 2027 — Regular & Early Action Decisions

I’ll add that Financial Aid will continue to ask for documents up until the day that admissions decisions are released. Being asked for more documentation (or not being asked for documentation) is not an indication of potential acceptance or rejection.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the helpful information! My child completed all the steps for documents etc. previously for financial aid and she has not received any information about further required documents, etc. through her portal or email. This was a hard copy letter and brochure that was mailed to us and addressed to the parents that was signed by both the Admissions Office and the Financial Aid Office, and really toyed with our emotions!

I know the two departments are separate so having it signed by both offices was confusing. Wish they would qualify the letter and let people know it’s sent to everyone - otherwise the wording in it is very hopeful especially the last sentence - “we are excited by your child’s application and look forward to working with you.”

In any case, it sounds like everyone receives this and we will read into it any further!

1 Like

*Correction, we will not read into it any further!

1 Like

Yes, we received the same letter and brochure for my daughter.

2 Likes

Good luck!!

2 Likes

Thanks! wish you the same to you all!

1 Like

I wonder when they will post results….I have heard lots of kids apply for early action, so maybe towards the end of Jan? I hope the admission office will post some dates soon

Its 01/23 according to their freshman profile

3 Likes

While this is a new process this year, for over two decades USC has loved the 23-25th of January to send out first results. :slight_smile: It’s been their m.o.

4 Likes

per the mail alert we got this one but the mailman bnever delivered it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks!! Good to know!

1 Like

Will the decision in Jan also provide information about merit scholarship? Or does the Jan decision only provides information on acceptance or rejection and we will accepted students be notified about merit scholarship in April?

From the Admissions FAQ page.

If I am admitted Early Action (EA) will I also receive a merit scholarship?
Not all early admits will be selected to continue in USC’s merit scholarship process. Students who are selected as scholarship finalists will be notified of their next steps in February after receiving their admission decision.

Edit to add from the admissions FAQ:

What percentage of the class will be admitted Early Action (EA)?
We anticipate that about 20-25 percent of the class will be admitted early. Early Action applicants who are not admitted in January will be able to defer their application to the Regular Decision round.

Will students receive denial letters in the Early Action (EA) round?
No, no one will receive a denial letter in January. Students who are not admitted early will be given the chance to defer their application for consideration in the Regular Decision round. We expect that 75-80 percent of the class will be admitted Regular Decision.

4 Likes

As I understand it, no one will actually be rejected during the January notification round. You will either be admitted EA or the admission decision will be deferred to the regular decision (RD) round. In the past, a positive January notification meant that you were admitted and also in contention for the top merit scholarships. I no longer believe this to be the case. I doubt that all of those being admitted in January are still being considered for merit. I suspect that with this brand new EA offering, USC is instead mixing the two. Some will be admitted with merit consideration and some will simply be admitted. I suspect such because the merit offerings were always capped at a relatively low #… like 1500-2000 or so, if I am recalling correctly.

4 Likes

Only accept 20% or so in early round? That is kind of low, I would think kids interested in usc will apply early and also it is not binding. If that is the case, acceptance at early round feels more difficult than regular.

Sorry if this has been asked already – does USC require applicants to send mid year transcript updates from their HS counselor? Does it matter if they apply EA or RD? Thx for any insights.

yes, required - whether EA or RD.
Submit your fall grades (when available): Use the Mid-Year Report Form included in the Common Application or visit [your applicant portal] to submit your fall grades.

4 Likes

True, but no one is rejected at EA stage. So in effect, I see it as 2 opportunities EA + RD.

Just for reference, in past years they accepted 1000-1200 in late January - with those people in the running for merit scholarships. That pool of applicants, at minimum got accepted, or received one of the 400 or so scholarships decided and given in March. Some attended USC, some went elsewhere regardless of scholarship.

I wouldn’t expect scholarship figures to change:
100 Trustee
200 Presidential
100 Deans

Total Presidential is usually 300-350 so that extra amount is the added NMFs that commit to USC. Then there are others in very small quantity (like 10) given in March independent of Jan/Feb merit. Some Dean’s have shown up in March, also independent from the formal scholarship process. (I tend to think they have leftovers and hand them out then if they do.)

From their FAQ they say they are accepting 20-25% of the class from EA…so 20% of the total 8800 admits? (last year figures) That would be 1760 approx from the 45k (unverified but likely figure) applied and the other 7k-ish coming during reg decision. That also says if admitted early, there is decent chance of merit possibiliy.

@lkg4answers and @WWWard is that how you see it? Or is my math goofy?

1 Like

In this Annenberg article, Brennan states that they expect to admit twice what they used to in the early round.

“We do plan to admit more students earlier than we have in the past,” Brennan said. “In the past, we’ve offered roughly 1000 offers of admission in January through our scholarship or first year scholarship finalist process. This year, we think we’re going to offer about twice that coming out.”

4 Likes