USC Class of 2027 — Regular & Early Action Decisions

Class of 2026, please continue to use the 2026 class thread for questions and comments regarding your upcoming start and first year at USC!

This new thread is for any and all types of USC questions for students applying during the fall/winter of 2022 to be freshman for the 2023 - 2024 school year. The USC College Confidential community looks forward to helping everyone through this exciting (and stressful) process.

Please pay attention to the new deadlines for applying this year - there are some pretty significant changes, including a new official EA option with applications due November 1st, with those EA applicants eligible for merit scholarships. (For decades, the merit scholarship deadline for everyone was December 1st, so this is very new.) Like the “old December 1 merit deadline,” those applying for EA by November 1st will be notified of their admission or deferral to Regular Decision in mid- to late January 2023.

Also several schools will now have a final deadline of December 1st to apply and will also be considered for merit:

Iovine and Young Academy
Kaufman School of Dance
Roski School of Art & Design
School of Architecture
School of Cinematic Arts
School of Dramatic Arts
Thornton School of Music

WBB has earlier final deadline of Nov 1st.

Other majors have a deadline of Jan 15th (but wouldn’t qualify for merit if missing above deadlines).

Know when/how you should apply to qualify for merit if interested!

That’s just a few key points above, become very familiar with the applications deadlines here:

We are happy to answer questions here, but don’t ever hesitate to reach out directly to USC! They are there to help you through the process.

Good luck and Fight On!

5 Likes

Thanks for starting this thread @CADREAMIN. A few pages that I’ve found helpful are

List of Merit Scholarships

Find your USC Admissions Counselor

What we look for & student profile

Undergraduate Admissions Blog

5 Likes

Yes… thanks for starting this thread.

My main advice to future college applicants, and especially to those seeking USC, is to start the application process early and to ask the important questions now and up to the time that you actually submit the application. The time to gain some potential insights and to work out your own unique and specific approach to applying is now and up to your submission date… and not thereafter.

With recent USC admit rates in the range of 11-16% and with even 90% of all legacy applicants and 4K+ applicants with 4.0 unweighted GPAs and test scores in the 99th percentile among those not gaining admission each year, an applicant’s success will instead likely depend on too many potential factors for anyone to correctly evaluate… making predicting admission nearly impossible. But this also shows that they admit many without perfect grades or test scores. They are after all seeking to craft a well-rounded and diverse freshman class comprised of those who actually have a strong affinity for or connection to USC. They do aim to admit those who they project will thrive well at USC and bring something unique to the campus environment.

It is not the case that USC is looking for a freshman class of circa 3K comprised necessarily of well-rounded students. They are instead looking to craft a well-rounded class comprised of unique individuals who might bring something interesting and specifically needed to campus. So use the admission process to demonstrate that. Let the readers understand what USC may be gaining by admitting you specifically.

Your individual admission decision will likely come down to a composite and holistic analysis of your stats coupled with writing ability / essays, ECs, potential leadership roles, potential other unique qualifiers (URM, First Gen, geography, demographics, etc.), your Why USC? explanation/reasoning, etc. And that “Why USC?” explanation is likely the most important single component of your application. You do need to provide a well-thought out and well-researched answer as to why attending USC is truly significant and important to you specifically. And moreover, USC does want to gain a sense as to what you will be uniquely contributing to the greater USC community if admitted.

Before applying, I suggest reading through the very helpful insider’s guide to USC admissions…

https://tfm.usc.edu/a-guide-to-uscs-college-admissions-process/

Both of my daughters gained admission to USC and attended. So, if you have questions about the process or anything USC, feel free to ask. @CADREAMIN had even more children attend USC, so she’s an even better resource in this process.

Good Luck…

6 Likes

From the Viterbi website:

USC representatives will be traveling across the country and the world to help you Discover USC.

We know that some applicants are unable to visit campus before applying, so starting in mid-September, USC admission staff will bring our information sessions to you! We will be hosting 2-hour information sessions in venues across the country that will cover the USC application process, financial aid, life on campus, and more! Viterbi Admission staff will be at most locations to give presentations on the USC Viterbi School of Engineering.

4 Likes

Keep your eye on USC Admissions social media. Today USC Admission posted links to request information. Request For Information | USC Undergraduate Admission

They are starting Territory Manager Tips on Instagram.

1 Like

@lkg4answers
On the USC common app for questions like “Which well-known person or fictional character would be your ideal roommate?” if there is space to add “why this is your ideal roommate ?” – should one add it ?

It is always better to be as complete as possible. Don’t overthink your answers to these questions. Just answer why you thought that person would be an ideal roommate.

1 Like

So even though the USC question does not ask “why” its okay to name the roommate + say why you thought that person would be an ideal roommate. ?

I’m sorry, I think I misunderstood your question. I can’t see the application. Are you limited to 25 characters? If so, I don’t think you will be able to explain why in 25 characters.

2 Likes

It looks like the field in the common app is limited to about 60 characters.

2 Likes

Thanks @tamagotchi @lkg4answers

Does it help to upload a resume after applying ? A 2-page resume which has some additional info regarding work experience / ECs etc. ?

1 Like

I do not recommend uploading anything extra at this stage through the common application process. I would instead wait and potentially later forward such directly to your assigned admissions officer. I would also not recommend overwhelming them. I would thus limit such direct communications to 1-2, with the first one being 2-3 weeks before the expected decision timeline for the first round of decisions and the second, if applicable, being before the final decision, reiterating your interest in attending USC if admitted. And if true… let them actually know that you plan to attend if admitted. They do consider such and will note your application file accordingly.

Good luck… :v:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. At the USC Virtual Info Session, they also did not recommend sending resume.

I need advice on which teacher to approach for the Letter of recommendation. I want to apply for BS in global health studies major, which is STEM related. Should I ask my Math/Science teacher or my history teacher who knows me very well and can speak to my personality.

1 Like

You’re welcome. But maybe update your assigned AO later should there be any significant updates by mid-January. You can locate yours via this link…

Meet us – Find your Counselor (form) | USC Undergraduate Admission

1 Like

I would recommend whoever knows you best, especially if they can offer some additional insights that could serve as a differentiator in terms of setting you apart from other applicants. USC does want to gain an inside look into what kind of student and contributor to the greater USC community you would be if granted admission. So, I would go with the recommender who is most likely to speak well of you in those terms especially. In other words, which recommender might share new information about you not already readily apparent based on your application as submitted by you? Who helps to paint a broader picture?

Thank you!

1 Like

Are you the parent or the student? Have you already asked your math, science and history teachers for LOR? If not, it might be a little late to ask now. Are they all 11th grade teachers?

Are you still planning on applying test optional? If so, I would lean toward a science teacher first. If not then choose a teacher who can speak about what type of student you are in the classroom. Do you participate? Take the lead? Are you collaborative? Do you ask questions? Are you hard working? Do your peers respect you?

2 Likes