UT Austin Class of 2027 Official Thread

Holistic if that’s your question haven’t heard yet.

2 Likes

When do you think education might drop? Friday?

1 Like

Hopefully this week. My daughter is waiting on the same.

1 Like

have any rejections gone out for UT Austin?

1 Like

My daughter applied education also, she is out of state and UT has been her top choice for years, fingers crossed and please reply if you have any information on release dates. I can’t breathe again until she knows!!

1 Like

Do we think it will be this Friday or next? Has anyone heard from majors besides in Moody?

The problem with using SAT scores as a measure of ability to get in is that the test optional scores are inflating their stats. 2 years ago if the middle 50% was 1,300-1,450, kids taking SAT’s were discouraged from submitting if they scored below a 1,400. So over the course of a couple of years that middle 50% has shifted from the numbers above to 1,400-1,540 (numbers made up and not directly tied to UT). I had exactly this conversation with a Tulane Admissions person 6 months ago. All the while, the % of students actually submitting SAT’s is dropping like a stone. It’s become semi-meaningless and like FriscoDad says above it becomes how you differentiate yourself in the rest of your essays, EC’s, etc.

1 Like

I wonder if there is dated that isolates the number of test optional applications submitted vs. accepted into UT Austin campus?

But if you have only the high score kids submitting their SAT’s, it’s going to suggest to you that “a higher % of kids that submit SAT’s get in than those that don’t”. According to CC, 56% of kids submitted their SAT’s in 2022 to UT. Those kids thought their score was high enough to help so likely they were accepted at a higher rate than the 44% that didn’t submit scores (who on average likely had lower GPA’s and other hard metrics).

Lies, Damn Lies & Statistics…

1 Like

Do you have a link to a website where I can find more of these stats? Curious to know.

1 Like

Some of this data is in the Common Data set on UT’s own website (just search “Common Data”) and you can see it over the years. I’m not sure where the major-specific stats are coming from and am curious about that as well.

Once you submit it, they can’t unsee it, so no, don’t try to get them not to consider it now. It’s holistic, so it’s not the only data point they are considering. You may have other things about your profile that are exactly what they’re looking for, so hang in there.

2 Likes

To my knowledge the Common Data Set does not break down by school or college within a university. Moreover, many schools and colleges within a university report SAT, ACT and GPA statistics based on admitted students and not enrolled students. Consequently, the numbers reported in the Common Data Set are not directly comparable to the numbers reported on the university’s webpage for a particular school or college within the university. This can inflate the numbers reported by a particular school or college within the university because many students admitted to that school or college may enroll elsewhere since they likely have many options to choose from, including based on prestige, merit awards, etc.

Very true, TO has skewed the average test scores. FYI, my neighbor got into McCombs last year with a 1420, so you never know.

2 Likes

Is there going to be a wave tomorrow?

Sad to think a 1420 isn’t a good score. I’m my opinion a 1420 is a fine SAT score. Goes to show just how competitive some colleges at UT are.

1 Like

Is a 32 ACT a good score to submit? She applied education.

Nobody knows, but I would mentally prepare for next week. Have you ready this blog? He lists the dates waves came out for the last three years. The good news is that it will be in 10-12 days at the most. "When might I receive my UT-Austin major decision? Does UT have rolling admissions for freshman?" — Tex Admissions

4 Likes

Good luck to all over the next two Friday evenings and also try to recognize (and accept) that the randomness of who gets in to UT and certain schools within UT (McCombs, Cockrell) will likely never be understood when you compare qualifications and profiles. Have been thru this drill twice and fortunate both times but known a lot of folks on other side and trying to figure out what else you or your child could have done is largely pointless. It sucks but the opaqueness and randomness of UT admissions is hard to deduce.

2 Likes

It is not test optional that skewed the scores, it is the Texas auto-admit law. If one in top 6% not aiming for scholarship or competitive major, there is no incentive to prepare for SAT/ACT.

3 Likes