UVa and VT for Preppy Scene

I’m coming from a community college, and I’m hoping to get into a school where their students can get the best college experience. I’m hoping to be in a place where there’s a big party scene, many academic and athletic clubs, and where majority of the students live on campus (I really hate commuter schools). I’m also looking for a school where there’s people that are serious with academics. One of my main goals is to not spend all day doing homework in my dorm. I want to be where there’s things to do in school. I also would like to see students have strong pride in their schools.

I’m also a guy who loves to dress sharp nearly every day. I carefully consider how I dress in public. Ralph Laruen, Vineyard Vines, and Southern Tide are the go. Some say that I dress very preppy. My fear is that someone will pick on me for dressing differently from what people normally dresses today. (This actually happened couple of times before.)
I’m applying to UVa for the Fall of 2017 as a transfer student, and this is my top choice. I fell in love with the school. I felt that UVa provides everything if I were to study there. I saw that many students are well dressed when I made a visit to the campus. I see many of them everywhere I go. I also made a research that their academics are rigorous, and they offer a lot of good Biology electives since I’m hoping to earn a B.S in Biology. I heard that this school has a social life. Many students actually participate extracurricular activities.

However, I feel uncertain that I have a chance of getting in since it is competitive to apply there. In case that I don’t get in, I made an alternative choice to Virginia Tech. I thought Tech is another excellent choice since it is similar to UVa.

My concern is, am I able to find students at Virginia Tech that drees similar to those at UVa? Would a typical Tech student make fun of me for wearing a shirt with bow tie and chino pant in a classroom? I’m really hoping to find these types of students in my community since I like to be around them.

You will be happier at uva

^ True. But there is Vineyard Vines store in Blacksburg.

If you’re comfortable in your skin you’ll be fine anywhere but you’d stand out at VT, where anything Hokie maroon and orange is the norm. Some prep, but not like UVA. Both schools have tremendous spirit, but a bit more casual dress at VT sports events. UVA’s football games used to be awash in sports blazers and sun dresses (guys in ties/girls in pearls), but you see more “sea of orange” casual now at Wahoo games.