UW-Madison, Bleary eyes, AP Classes

<p>Today, I wasn't in the mood for either math or writing so I focused (again) on UW-Madison's websites and tweets of its beautiful campus and privileged students. I also spent a lot of time reading the epic Star-Wars-like battle between Barrons and novaparent. At the risk of the latter's well-sharpened tongue, I declare again my enthusiasm for UW-Madison. I come from an African high-school (West Africa, specifically) with an administration partly run by Turkish people, a group that would shudder at any of my high school classmates not going to any university except turkish ones. Anyway, I'm anxious about UW-Madison, my first choice, but the rigor of courses they emphasize on is a bit intimidating. My school has a 3 different permutations of courses from which you only pick one. By picking the only set offering calculus, my high school GPA of 3.6 is from AT LEAST 3 years of: English, Math, Further Math(with calc), Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, Economics, Turkish Language. I graduated this june from high school with the highest GPA. However, I wonder how much my valedictorian status will mean in the face of my courses. My school offered only one extracurricular class-olympiad class. They are coordinated by experienced turkish men. As of my graduation, I was one of only ten olympiad students in a student body of 300+ and 1 of 4 math olympiad students. The other six were science olympiad students. A typical math olympiad question might ask that we prove that from a collection of 2012 integers, we can choose some whose sum is divisble by 2012 to harder ones involving abstract geometric inversions. This kind of math, while very fun, is hardly useful for collegiate math so I don't know how much it adds especially as all the tests we did regarding olympiad were never part of the transcripts. So, will my school's lack of advanced placement hurt me badly? My other stats are: SAT score of 2080, SAT II score of physics 720, math 1: 800, math 2: 800; 99th percentile worldwide at the american math contest, school prefect, organizer of a bunch of school contests and participation at the International Math Olympiad, the 52nd one in Amsterdam. I'm not exactly looking to be chanced (though I wouldn't mind). I just want to understand how an admissions officer would regard my courses. I mentioned the olympiad in my personal statements, along with my serious passion for writing short stories and novels. I understand UW Madison admissions is highly competitive, and don't know how to weight myself with many undoubtedly stellar applicants applying. All help and comments will be appreciated. Thanks! By the way, as I type these, my eyes beg for sleep so shortly after posting this, I will sleep off. My last post got 0 replies last time I checked, but knowing how my lack of AP classes while other applicants take several will affect me is truly very important to me and I will appreciate any advice or input. ALSO, I wouldn't have been thinking of US for my college education if not for Penn. The turkish administration ferociously promotes turkish universities for all its students, and I only focused on US when Penn (the private one) sent me mail in an envelope with my name telling me about it and asking me to consider applying. Entirely inexperienced, I applied to Penn with an essay talking without insight whatsoever about how I would miss secondary school and without submitting my SAT IIs. I only understood the prestige and severe selectivity of Penn only after submitting my application and ultimately (and needless to say) I was rejected. Shortly after, I began my own examination of US universities, reading the Wikipedia pages of more than 50 of them, and then going to their websites. UW Madison shook and amazed me. I really do hope I have, at least, a shot at getting in. Finance, for now, isn't a problem, but if I'm lucky enough to get in, I will try part-time jobs and extensive scholarship searchs. Sleep is calling! Please read and reply if informed enough to do so. Thanks.</p>

<p>I am not terribly well informed on UW’s standards for international applicants, but I’ll do my best:</p>

<p>2080 SAT - good. not over-the-top great, but good.
3.6 GPA - okay. But it sounds like you were easily a top-10% student in your class, and the olympian stuff augments your otherwise strong academic stats.</p>

<p>I cannot honestly tell you what your chances are because of my lack of knowledge of UW’s international app standards.</p>

<p>All I can say is, apply. Go for it.</p>

<p>UW is an awesome school, strong in so many departments (a true world-class institution). The fun-loving student body, major college sports, etc., only add to UW’s appeal. </p>

<p>And you are right – the campus, situated on an isthmus, is beautiful.</p>

<p>So go for it. Tell them how much you want to be a Badger, and why, and how your life thus far distinguishes you as one who is worthy of that honor.</p>

<p>holy that is a lot of text</p>

<p>dan… Next time edit your posts to just a few lines. I skimmed it. Do bother to apply. Be sure your essays are not verbose like your post here. Relax and get sleep- the best thing for doing your best.</p>

<p>My essay wasn’t as wordy or conversational @wis75. Do you mind if I pm it to you?</p>

<p>By the way guys, sorry for the long text. My eyes WERE bleary and I was in that soporific sleep-deprived state that makes you feel like a hangover is weighing on you: summary: I’m an African in a high school that offers no AP classes. I’m valedictorian and also taking an additional highly advanced math class that is not reflected on the transcript and just about 3percent of the school is taking the classes. My GPA lies in the 3.6-3.7 range, my SAT score is 2080 and my SAT2 score is physics 720 math 1 800 math 2 800. I was introduced to the idea of US unis by penn and after researching decided that UW Madison was exceptional. I just want to understand how the admissions officers would regard my lack of AP. I also participated at IMO: [International</a> Mathematical Olympiad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia](<a href=“http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Math_Olympiad]International”>International Mathematical Olympiad - Wikipedia). Thanks for d input and sorry for the monstrous post up there</p>

<p>By the way where is nova?</p>

<p>Novaparent may be temporarily banned from this website.</p>

<p>Do NOT send me anyPMs with essays- they’re none of my business and I won’t read them. Don’t worry about no APs if none are offered. Same can happen to US students. UW looks to see if you take the most rigorous courses offered, ie any Honors instead of regular, higher level math… Your school will fill out this sort of information- they get asked about the rigor of your curriculum, it is not something you do.</p>

<p>One weird thing is that the spring and fall applications for UW Madison are critically different, no idea why.</p>

<p>By the way, I’ve already submitted my application for spring to UW Madison. Spring applications are unorthodox, I know, and fall admittees are welcomed with more activities but I’m okay with it. I submitted the application more than a month ago and its just left for my school to send the transcript. SAT scores are “being processed” on my collegeboard account. In between trying to live and drowning in past acceptance threads, I’ve been quite tense.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Paragraph breaks and a tl;dr ([Wikipedia:Too</a> long; didn’t read - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia](<a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Too_long;_didn’t_read]Wikipedia:Too”>Wikipedia:Too long; didn't read - Wikipedia)) summary at the end would have the made the post fine.</p>

<p>To the OP: Apply and see what happens, but you could also apply to other similar schools (“Public Ivies”) like Michigan in case UW-Madison doesn’t work out.</p>

<p>I actually enjoyed reading Daniel’s posts. I think he would be a great asset to any university class. Good luck on your application, Daniel! :)</p>

<p>JiffsMom. Thanks, that means a lot. Today is actually my birthday so seeing your post was like a birthday gift on its own. Thanks again.</p>