UW-Madison College of Engineering class of 2020 Admissions

Hey all, this will be the thread for all those that want to post their UW-Madison’s COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING Early Action decisions. Just make sure to follow the format below and pick the correct color for whether you were admitted or denied

Select the decision
Decision: Accepted
Decision: Rejected

Objective:
[ *] SAT I (breakdown):
[ *] ACT:
[ *] SAT II:
[ *] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0):
[ *] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable):
[ *] AP (place score in parenthesis):
[ *] IB (place score in parenthesis):
[ *] Senior Year Course Load:
[ *] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel, etc.):

Subjective:
[ *] Extracurriculars:
[ *] Job/Work Experience:
[ *] Volunteer/Community service:
[ *] Summer Activities:

Other
[ *] Applied for Financial Aid?:
[ *] Intended Major:
[ *] State (if domestic applicant):
[ *] Country (if international applicant):
[ *] School Type:
[ *] Ethnicity (Hispanic Y/N/not reported):
[ *] Race(s) (AI/AN, Asian, AA, NH/PI, White, not reported):
[ *] Gender:

General Comments:

HERE it GOES FOR ME…

Decision: Accepted

Objective:
[ *] SAT I (breakdown): 2100 (CR-700 Math-690 Writing-710)
[ *]ACT: didn’t give
[ *] SAT II: Math 2(770) Chemistry (800) Physics(780)
[ *] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.00
[ *] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Valedictorian
[ *] AP (place score in parenthesis): Will give AP Calculus BC, AP Physics C, AP Computer Science, AP Chemistry this May
[ *] IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
[ *] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel, etc.): Ranked first in IMO(International Math Olympiad), Research paper on Computational Biology in the International journal of Computational Biology with a professional scientist, Review paper on Altruism in the Science Reporter, National Science Olympiad Scholar, etc…(Hope I am not boasting, am I?)

Subjective:
[ *] EC: House Captain of one of the four school houses
[ *] Job/Work Experience: Have not had a job
[ *] Volunteer/Community service: Volunteer work through School, Church service, Ramkrishna Mission, Bharat Sevashram Sangha, and other charitable organisations etc.
Taught 5th grade students science snd english to a community school in our locality

Other:
[ *] Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
[ *] Intended Major: Electrical and Computer Engineering
[ *] State (if domestic applicant): OOS
[ *] Country (if international applicant): United States
[ *] School Type: Public
[ *] Ethnicity (Hispanic Y/N/not reported): not reported
[ *] Race(s) (AI/AN, Asian, AA, NH/PI, White, not reported): Asian Indian
[ *] Gender: Male

General Comments:
I was honestly not expecting to get in. It seemed like all the applicants for engineering were much better than I am. I’m very happy to have gotten my notification, though I am still worried how am i going to afford it.

NOT “early action” at UW. Rolling admissions with students applying by Nov 2 getting a decision-accepted, denied or postponed- by the end of January. Students are admitted to the university as a whole, regardless of intended major. This year a few will also get a direct admission to Engineering as well. Most who put engineering on the application will need to apply to engineering once a UW student.

@wis75: well i got the letter accepting me to their College of Engineering, so maybe I wont have to apply again once I get to UW…

@Adwaya @wis75 I was wondering the same thing. The UW Portal said that I am “offered admission College of Science and Engineering,” Does that mean I am admitted into my program with direct admission, or do I have to apply at the end of the year? I chose biomedical engineering.

Check with the department or College of Engineering.

@2016mnboy: They posted something about General College Requirements to go to a specific Engineering course after the first year…During orientation, we will get to know the exact details,( something they call as SOAR…)…

@wis75: thanks…btw I have given the TOEFL, as well as the AP Calculus BC, and SAT Math level 2. Do I need to give the english and math placement tests??? To me, English is a foreign language…

You need to adjust your way of thinking to being in the US- English is the local language. Others are foreign.

Everyone takes placement tests (although currently there may be exceptions for math). Every UW student needs to meet competency requirements to get a UW degree from any school/college, in any major. The testing indicates which coursework is needed to be deemed meeting the minimum competency. Most students will have no problems. It does not matter what grades you get in HS or test scores on AP exams, SAT subject tests et al. Of course, all information should be checked on the UW website. Any given by us on CC is unofficial and hopefully accurate.

The foreign language placement testing is only required for those who intend to take a language at they have already been studying. The test results will indicate which level can be taken at UW to get retroactive credits for HS courses. You do not need to take placement tests in any foreign language to meet university requirements for that. This means students who have finished four years of the same language in HS will have met those graduation requirements for a BA or a BS in L&S unless more are required by a specific major. Other schools and colleges have lesser foreign language requirements. Only 3 years are required for a BS (and most majors can get either a BA or BS if the degree requirements are met, your choice). Also 3 of one and 2 of another suffice for a BA as well.

For students who have languages other than English as their native tongue- you need to check with UW for any ways your knowledge exempts you from having classes. There is a UW website page for international students with ways to get all sorts of info and help.

My admission decision to UW was postponed, has anybody else heard back on their postponed decision?

@bryan629: They are supposed to release postponed decisions on 28th February…

@Adwaya where did you find that date?

@Natalie278: Sorry it is actually by end of march… here is the link: https://www.admissions.wisc.edu/apply/freshman/deadlines.php
But a person from my school applied to UW-Madison and got his notification on 28th February last year, thats why I thought they will be doing the same this year… Which major did u apply for, btw?

@Adwaya Environmental Science through CALS and a B.S.-Art through the School of Education.

@Natalie278: Good choices…http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-wisconsin-madison/1035815-faqs-uw-madison-postponed-applicants.html According to this post about half of the postponed applicants are finally admitted. U r still in the game…Good Luck!!!