UW-Madison FASA for out of state students

<p>jnm–whoops,
I don’t actually know much about financial aid…I was unaware of minority status playing into it with the same income.</p>

<p>In reference to the comment above about ‘running out of academically qualifed Wisconsin resident applicants’, I don’t see where it says that wait list applicants are not academically qualifed…</p>

<p>Info from [Undergraduate</a> Admissions at the University of Wisconsin-Madison](<a href=“Apply as a First-Year Student – Office of Admissions and Recruitment – UW–Madison”>http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/freshman/apply.php#deferred)</p>

<p>Postpone: Some applicants are neither admitted nor denied upon initial review. These students are postponed. Postponed applicants have strong qualifications and the potential for success at Wisconsin. However we do not know if we will have space for them in our freshman class, and/or we would like to review grades from the first semester of their senior year before making an admission decision.</p>

<p>Students who are denied admission after being postponed are offered the option to add their name to our extended waiting list.</p>

<p>Apparently unlike striving Indiana U, UW has maintained a commitment to serve Wisconsin residents who qualify.</p>

<p>[State</a> schools rejecting more Hoosiers](<a href=“http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/education/State_schools_rejecting_more_Hoosiers_20090330]State”>http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/education/State_schools_rejecting_more_Hoosiers_20090330)</p>

<p>Barron’s previous post is very typical of him. How many identical articles have appeared in Wisconsin newspapers over the years complaining of out of state students taking in state spots at UW-Madison? </p>

<p>It reminds me of the previous time that I posted on the Wisconsin board lamenting that, unlike U-Va, Wisconsin doesn’t make it possible for all undergraduate students to go to home football games. He responded by writing off U-Va as having “spotty” academics (and supported the claim by posting a link to an independent report on U-Va’s graduate programs in science and engineering that actually praised U-Va for the outstanding overall quality of its undergraduate program).</p>

<p>It’s not enough that you succeed, it’s that others must fail I guess.</p>

<p>I imagine it’s tempting, but it’s definitely a slippery slope when a school goes down this road. But I can’t imagine IU not admitting a child of two alums, a 3.5 GPA & top 10% in-state purely for monetary reasons, unless there are extenuating circumstances, like a low ACT or no EC’s. I would bet there’s more to the story, because the stated stats are usually a slam-dunk at IU, with a pretty decent merit award to boot.</p>

<p>At least UW-Madison has that admission percentage grid with GPA & ACT, so a potential admit, in-state or not, can gauge his/her chances. And…we don’t have to worry about merit aid at Madison, 'cause there ain’t none (or much)!</p>

<p>It sounds like IU has become more competitive- the article didn’t address the probable fact that more instate students may be choosing IU for financial reasons, bumping less impressive candidates from the admitted list. Back to the original thread purpose. It sounds as though OOS students can’t count on much, if any, gift money- they have to rely on work study/loans. Do any posters know if there is often grant money included in financial aid (this info is more helpful than complaints) for OOS students? I don’t expect many OOS freshmen would get merit money from UW- do any?</p>

<p>What’s happening in this area (north suburban Chicago) is that the economy is hitting even the most affluent HS districts hard. In the past, a parent from one of these tony districts wouldn’t think twice about sending their kid to a private school back East at a $50K/year price tag–no problem.</p>

<p>Not the case now. All of a sudden, UIUC @ $24K in-state appears to be a bargain, and these North Shore affluent kids have been applying in droves, which in turn makes admission that much more competitive, thus the shenanigans with influence-peddling for admissions that has been publicized in the Chicago media.</p>

<p>From that…the UIUC rejects have been flooding Indiana & Iowa with apps. At least in the last 3-4 years, a 3.8 GPA & 32 ACT (which wouldn’t get you a smell at Northwestern & would be very iffy at both UIUC & UW-Madison) would earn a nice merit award at IU and Iowa too. Sometimes the scholarship would be enough to bring the initial OOS costs down to the low-to mid-twenties out the door.</p>

<p>So it’s no wonder that both Indiana & Iowa have become much more competitive admissions-wise, and I expect that trickle-down trend to continue.</p>

<p>Relatively few OOS get any merit aid as freshmen. I’d guess under 100. Later as dept scholarships kick in the number would go up. So much UW merit aid is within the depts. I’m going to a planning meeting on the future of UW with some top UW staff very soon. I’ll ask about this and if it could be changed. I doubt it. Alums gave that money to the dept.</p>

<p>So University of Wisconsin- Madison isn’t great for out of state need base financial aid as I’ve heard?</p>

<p>Also barrons, on a University of Michigan- Ann Arbor thread I thought you stated University of Wisconsin- Madison is in a great financial situation, I’m getting confused.</p>

<p>

</a></p>

<p>Great because they don’t give away lots of aid money;-) Seriously, they have good instate aid and but keep OOS tuition and fees are $15,000 lower than UM but you get few discounts until you enroll and do well. Then you might get some. UM charges a buttload more and then uses some of that to aid some students–mostly instate. Hardly fair really. Thus think of it as everyone OOS coming to UW over UM gets a $15,000 scholarship. Feels better, no? UW has kept OOS increases pretty low for several years now.</p>

<p>

It doesn’t say waitlisted students aren’t academically qualified, it says UW ran out of waitlisted Wisconsin residents before the class was filled.</p>

<p>"After admitting 550 to 600 students from its waiting list, UW-Madison officials say they have filled next fall’s freshman class.</p>

<p>In late May, the State Journal reported the university had admitted about 300 Wisconsin students and about 50 out-of-state students.</p>

<p>Since then, UW-Madison has admitted roughly 200 more students from out-of-state, after exhausting the list of qualified Wisconsinites."
[WISCONSIN</a> STATE JOURNAL](<a href=“http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/wonder/455700]WISCONSIN”>http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/wonder/455700)</p>

<p>“It reminds me of the previous time that I posted on the Wisconsin board lamenting that, unlike U-Va, Wisconsin doesn’t make it possible for all undergraduate students to go to home football games. He responded by writing off U-Va as having “spotty” academics (and supported the claim by posting a link to an independent report on U-Va’s graduate programs in science and engineering that actually praised U-Va for the outstanding overall quality of its undergraduate program)”</p>

<p>Of course the consultants had to say something nice. </p>

<p>Here was the purpose of the study–says nothing about “graduate departments”</p>

<p>"In October 2006, the University of Virginia (UVA) issued a Request for Proposal (RFP</p>

<h1>END 102306 – Academic Consulting and Advisory Plan) seeking an “experienced firm</h1>

<p>to provide consulting services for its academic plan.” Under the leadership of the
University’s Vice President and Provost, and in collaboration with faculty, students,
deans, the Board of Visitors, and senior administrators, UVA was in the process of
developing a ten-year plan to guide academic decision-making and realize its vision for
2017 – to be the foremost public institution in the nation. The University’s goal over the
next ten years is to significantly improve its capacity to perform leading research and
become a world leader in select fields."</p>

<p>"Overcoming a History of Disappointment: Without knowing if the faculty comments are
justified or not, The Washington Advisory Group needs to report a widespread sense of
malaise and frustration in the science faculty within CLAS. It derives from the feeling
that UVA’s low standing as a ranking research university is due to a long history of
comparatively low priority for science in the allocation of internal funds.</p>

<p>Seems that would apply to undergrads.</p>

<p>Anyway I won’t post the entire thing except to say either Parent2009 did not read it or failed to understand it.</p>