UW-Madison FASA for out of state students

<p>How is UW-Madison FASA for out of state students need base? Thanks</p>

<p>If what you’re referring to is the FAFSA (which is standard for everybody regardless of in-state, OOS), it will depend on your EFC vs. the UW-Madison OOS cost of attendance. That clocks in at $34,240 out the door.</p>

<p>Thanks for reply, though I’m confused by what you mean.</p>

<p>From some of your other posts, I’m assuming that you’re an upcoming senior in HS and have queried the same way to many other universities about need-based aid.</p>

<p>You (or your parents) need to familiarize yourself with the FAFSA & how it works, with a good start being on the ‘Financial Aid’ portion of this website. Long story short, it takes your parents’ & your income & non-retirement assets and figures out how much you should be able to pay per year for educational costs. 99% of the time, that figure–the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC)–will be much higher than you think it should be.</p>

<p>To get true need-based aid, it helps to A) have at or near a 4.0 GPA with multiple EC’s; B) have your parents be relatively destitute and/or unemployed; C) apply to Tier 2 or 3 colleges; and D) be of an ethnic minority. All those factors will help.</p>

<p>Oh I see thanks</p>

<p>Woah woah woah…</p>

<p>Tier 1 colleges give BETTER need-based aid (much closer to 100% of demonstrated need)
Ethnic minority has no standing there.
GPA ECs etc. is only slightly more relevant: if a college likes you it could boost your aid.</p>

<p>Parents don’t have to be destitute or unemployed; you’ll get the difference between what FASFA estimates you can pay and the cost of the college, if they meet 100%.
And the ones most known for meeting 100% are the top privates.</p>

<p>Homer–</p>

<p>This has gotten off-topic for the UW-Madison thread, but for you to say that ethnic minority has NO standing in Tier 1 college need-based aid is ludicrous. That factor is possibly the most important next to demonstrated need. It is the ‘tilting’ factor, if you will, when a student is on the fence. Whether it is right or wrong is irrelevant, and is not publicized either.</p>

<p>My point with Tier 2 or 3 schools is that those school are still very fine institutions (ranked in the top 150 nationwide) and a student with all the other qualifications mentioned would probably have more a chance of a decent ride at those schools than the HYPS’s.</p>

<p>UW-a tier one school, certainly has special pots of aid set aside for minority students and it’s much easier to get compared to regular aid. You might call this merit or targeted aid but it’s real.</p>

<p>Or, as you’ve worded it before, barrons, UW sets aside a pool of money to buy students of certain races/ethnicities.</p>

<p>Your words, referring to IU’s practice of awarding merit scholarships to recruit highly accomplished students:
“I do see now why IU’s numbers are getting better–when did they start buying better students?”
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/indiana-university-bloomington/564944-new-numbers-out-iub.html#post1062664859[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/indiana-university-bloomington/564944-new-numbers-out-iub.html#post1062664859&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>JiffsMom you weren’t even part of that previous post, but researched Barrons’ post? Getting a little creepy.</p>

<p>I guess at IU good students are considered an under-represented minority group.</p>

<p>Can you support that assertion with actual evidence barrons?</p>

<p>Stooge, barrons has made snide remarks about other schools offering merit scholarships to highly qualified students on other CC forums. He claims other schools have to ‘buy’ good students. I happen to remember seeing those posts; the IU post is just one example.</p>

<p>I think there is a difference between trying to upgrade your entire student body by giving everyone with over a 1300 SAT or whatever a discount scholarship and for a school with a history of lacking minority students to try to compete for them with all the other schools also offering special aid to minorities. The aid for minority students at UW is still very limited (around 75 scholies per year) and competitive–just less so than the regular merit money. Now maybe Indiana having a problem attracting any good students and UW having a problem with attracting minority kids is the same thing. I don’t see it that way.</p>

<p>IU’s blanket scholie criteria are here–and these numbers (required scores) are up from prior years.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.scholarships.indiana.edu/pages/automatic.php[/url]”>http://www.scholarships.indiana.edu/pages/automatic.php&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Basically the average to 75th %tile UW student would get $5,000-$9,000 year as an incentive to go to IU. Not bad.</p>

<p>Are you sure that Indiana is having a hard time attracting any good students? 19% of their freshman class last year was in the 30-36 range on the ACT. Some of those students must be good, don’t you think? </p>

<p>Why does UW have to buy minority students, by the way? Why wouldn’t they attend UW without being bought? Why isn’t UW attractive to minority students?</p>

<p>However you slice it, for graduating seniors from the North Shore & northwest suburbs of Chicago, where Big Ten attendance is king, the difficulty of admission IMO ranks like this. (And for OOS’ers, it’s getting tougher for all of them):</p>

<ol>
<li> Northwestern</li>
<li> Illinois (w/out clout)</li>
<li> UW-Madison</li>
<li> Michigan</li>
<li> Purdue</li>
<li> Michigan State</li>
<li> Penn State</li>
<li> Minnesota</li>
<li> Indiana</li>
<li> Iowa</li>
<li> Ohio State</li>
</ol>

<p>Yes, they are being very successful buying them by the gross. What IU has done has yielded good results but it’s also considered somewhat declasse. You don’t see many top schools offering huge amounts of merit money. So go ahead and do it but then don’t go bragging about how much better students are going to IU. That was the reason for my original post on the topic way back when (and the only time I made such a post BTW)</p>

<p>Wisconsin outside Milwaukee is a very non-minority state hence the problem competing for minority students from out of state. Milwaukee students tend to go to the local UWM as it is much less costly when they can live at home. When you start recruiting out of state good minority students you better bring your checkbook.</p>

<p>Hey Barrons–</p>

<p>I don’t know the answer to this, figgered you could help me: </p>

<p>Does having a certain quota (publicized or not) of minority students make UW-Madison (or any Big Ten U for that matter) eligible for Federal grants or other monies?</p>

<p>No, but it helps keep them off your back. Also some companies said they would not recruit UW grads if they did get have minority students. That was a big wake-up call. So far they have spent quite a bit of $$$ on the programs with so-so results even by their own reports.
Let’s face facts–most of Wisconsin is very white and the prototypical kid from Wisconsin is Nordic or German in heritage. Some minority kids from big OOS cities like Chicago, LA and NY will find that a little off-putting. I was lucky as I grew up in an area of NJ that was basically all white–we had ONE black famly in my high school and two Hispanic ones including mine–so I was used to the situation and had no problems from any students at UW in any way.
The good news was that 100% of the minority grads from my HS went to college including my brother and sister.</p>

<p>I disagree. Several state schools that are very highly ranked in specific areas (engineering, business) have strong merit scholarship programs - this includes other Big Ten schools. That makes UW’s cost comparison rather disingenuous as UW compares tuition among Big Ten schools, but leaves out the fact that other Big Ten schools with stronger programs than UW offer significant merit scholarships - some so much that the reduced cost undercuts students’ own instate flagship U. That happened with my older D and many of her peers. They’re in a top 3 program at an OOS Big Ten school with a $10,000 per year merit scholarship (automatic qualification - all students with qualifying stats receive the scholarship regardless of race, ethnicity, or gender). The final cost undercuts their instate U’s, with a much stronger, more well-regarded, and more widely recognized program. </p>

<p>Obviously, disadvantaged and wealthy students don’t need to be as concerned with cost - disadvantaged students receive need-based aid and college costs don’t cut as deeply into the wealthy students’ families’ annual budgets. The middle class, however, is deliberately being squeezed out. Some schools recognize that and try to combat that with merit scholarships. Other schools are perfectly content with aiding the disadvantaged, accepting the wealthy’s money, and disregarding the middle who’ve been priced out of the institution.</p>

<p>On a different note - how do the numbers look for Wisconsin’s graduating high school seniors the next couple of years? Is UW going to keep running out of academically qualified Wisconsin resident applicants before the incoming class is filled like they did this year?
[WISCONSIN</a> STATE JOURNAL](<a href=“http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/wonder/455700]WISCONSIN”>http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/wonder/455700)</p>