UW-Madison v. UMich-Ann Arbor

<p>While the graduate rankings put UM above UW (marginally, a few spots) undergrad, hands down, Wisconsin is the best school in the big ten for political science.</p>

<p>Why?</p>

<p>First, top professors. The people teaching me are the best in their field, many with PhDs from Harvard and Michigan. They are constantly working on new things which puts them in the news daily. Search Charles Franklin. Had him with 10 other students freshmen year. Constantly interviewed. Other profs worked on staffs with politicans, consulted, and did all sorts of interesting things. They wrote the book on Executive Orders, African politics, and many things related to Israel. The list just goes on.</p>

<p>Second, access to the state capital. It's about one mile to the capital square from most classes. Internships are all over the place. Constant political activism on campus. There never seems to be a lack of elections. I have a personal friend who flys around with Jim Doyle. How? He took an internship as a frosh and worked up. Michigan (and Northwestern) simply can't touch this. </p>

<p>Third, cost. I'm saving (with a scholarship) 40K, almost a year of graduate/law school, by going to Wisconsin.</p>

<p>Also, as for "what on the whole?" I do agree that Michigan has a "better" rep, but when you're coming from a LARGE state university and non an intimate elite LAC/ivy, you need to distinguish yourself. It will be what you did at the school. The difference is not worth the money, and to be honest, the "difference" is questionable. I'd say Michigan is better for business due to the consulting/banking advantage (Wisconsin is climbing up with its Wisconsin to Wall Street program), sciences being a wash (although Wisconsin seems to rank higher), and the humanities also being nearly a wash. </p>

<p>Oh, forgot to add in: State Street, Lake Mendota, Bucky the Badger, having a top 5 hockey, football, and basketball team in the past 2 years, the social life, and the list goes on...</p>

<p>Which school's better for Computer Science ?</p>

<p>Wisconsin.</p>

<p>You a UWM student ?</p>

<p>Alumnus. UW has always ranked a bit higher than UM for CS. They are both fine.</p>

<p>I'm attending UW Madison this fall, but when I was choosing schools it ultimately came down to Madison and UMich as well. I chose Madison mainly because it seemed like it was easier and more common to get involved in club sports and intramurals when I visited the campus, and the students were more open and friendly. Both schools are obviously great academically, but after visiting Madison it just seemed more comfortable to me.</p>

<p>Wiscydad- I've had quite a few conversations with some of the med scholars and people who are honors in a pre-med type major, and they really don't express the same feelings you or your daughter did. In fact, with honors, and smart planning by being proactive and meeting with the right advisors, people can often be placed into classes by having the advisor contact the professor. In my 6 semeters at UW, I have never, yes, never, been UNABLE to get into a class if I went the first day, emailed the prof, sat out the waiting list, etc. I just wanted to add that in.</p>

<p>Oh, also, for football tickets, this thread makes it seem impossible. Every single soph-sr who wants them and acts ON TIME can get the tickets. Freshmen, you're right, have about a 50/50 shot.</p>

<p>turned out to be 80/20 for freshmen... I would hate to be in that 20%</p>