UW-Madison vs. Wellesley

<p>So I was accepted to both UW-Madison Chemical Engineering (which was actually my safety but I ended up really liking it) and Wellesley (which was among my top choices). I also am on the wait list at UChicago if that makes any difference.</p>

<p>I'm still a little on the fence about going into engineering. However, I'm really considering it because (a) I am into women's equality and feel like if I even have a vague interest in STEM I owe it to my gender, (b) I'm really interested in the type of research I could do in [chemical] engineering, and (c) I would really like to have a job after I graduate, and [chemical] engineering seems to pretty much assure me a job (though medicine seems even more stable…).</p>

<p>I know that UW-Madison is a top school for engineering, and that the college of engineering is a pretty small division within the University, so I wouldn't feel overwhelmed (which is one of the aspects I really like about Wellesley). I really like the ChemE curriculum and the jobs people are getting coming out of the program. I also like that it seems a bit more flexible than some other engineering programs-, in case I want to switch to computer science and engineering.</p>

<p>However, I also really love Wellesley. First of all, I am much more familiar with small, east coast schools being from New York. Neither I nor my parents really know anything about UW-Madison, let alone Wisconsin, and we don't know any alumni from UW-Madison. However, some women at my father's work are from Wellesley and the school is very well-regarded, especially on the east coast. I am also still considering pre-med/MD-PHD because I love research but I also love working with people and being a doctor seems like something I would enjoy (I shadowed a physician). Wellesley seems more supportive and less of a sink or swim environment, probably due to its size. I also think that, in general, Wellesley Women are more intellectual than the general population at a state school. However, I'm not crazy about the idea of a women's college and I'm really worried that I have no options if I decide that I want to enter engineering.</p>

<p>I'm really interested in working for a company like Organovo or Genentech, but from an engineering perspective. Honestly, getting and MD-PHD in medicine and engineering would be my dream. Any help?</p>

<p>You sound very bright and capable and someone that would be wise to keep her options open. Wisconsin will give you the Engineering and pre-med options while Wellesley won’t give you the Engineering option. I would highly advise you and your parents to visit UWisc. It is a great environment, beautiful campus, with very strong academics. It also has a good Honors program you may be interested in.</p>

<p>You also have to ask yourself if you want a small or larger enrollment university. They both have their advantages.</p>

<p>Excellent Chemistry and Comp Sci at UW, also math and physics for those engineering/premed electives. A large U is composed of many smaller neighborhoods, just as any large city is. Honors courses at UW will give you an elite peer group and excellent courses. Opportunities to take a wide variety of electives not offered at smaller schools and to see world class research. Many students do come from the east coast. UW now has several women Chemistry professors- unlike eons ago when my friends and I majored in it before I was among a small minority of women in medical school. Excellent campus and enough diversity among students you ar4e bound to find likeminded people. Many different science courses that work for premed aspirations. I recommend the Honors program for Chemistry and the Biocore sequence. Being a STEM person I can’t imagine being at a LAC, seems like the STEM offerings would be more limited. UW also has all sorts of uncommon electives to enjoy.</p>