UW (Seattle) vs. UC Davis (OOS) vs. UVa (Rodman Scholar) for Engineering (Chemical/Biomedical)

Didn’t get into any of their top dream schools. Definitely wants engineering - very interested in research. Got into the Chemical Engineering major at Davis and UVa. UW only does general first year. Loves Chemistry and Biology too - did Biomed pathway in high school. Codes. Quieter personality but very self-possessed, loves outdoors. Likes big schools. We live on the East Coast but have done a fair amount of travel out west.

What’s the question?

OK which.

What’s important to the student?

I don’t know what a dream school is/means but anyone would be stoked to have the opportunity to attend any of these three - and outcomes will all be fine - even at schools that aren’t as selective.

Congrats to your student - but you’re not really asking a question although I can infer it - but I don’t know what your student is interested in - nature, city, weather, more - and if costs are a factor.

When I see loves big schools and the outdoors, I’m thinking all three - but especially Davis - but you have nature in/by Seattle and Charlottesville - and all are big although UVA I suppose less big.

I would also not pay significantly more for one than another (and that includes schools not even on this list) - because all are ABET and all will be fine.

But if cost were no factor, I’m thinking Davis matches with what you wrote - but you need to go see it. That said, when you say “Dream School” - usually a secondary UC doesn’t make the cut so if he’s prestige crazy, then maybe UW.

But then you have a special program at UVA - and some kids love that special attention - my daughter does.

There’s no wrong choice here - except the one he doesn’t feel good about when he steps on campus - so go visit all three. It’s a lifetime decision so worth of a trip.

Good luck.

I’d pick Rodman Scholars at UVA if it’s affordable.
“Official Rodman Scholars Program benefits include priority registration, special scholar housing with both Rodman and Echols Scholars, a unique first year curriculum tailored to the intellectual abilities of first year Rodman Scholars. In addition, the Rodman name holds a lot of weight among both professors looking for undergraduate researchers and employers.”

1 Like

UVa is the easy choice of the three. Davis at sticker offers much less value. (What about your instate option?)

Thanks for all the replies - and yes we are going to visit all three. No instate option - we are in DC. I actually went to UVa E-School so I’m very familiar with the value of it. For my kid - it’s a little too close too home and while the University brand is high - is the engineering as good? I was more of an all-around student who majored in CS, she’s definitely more focused on the true engineering. We are heading for a visit to do a deeper dive on that.

What’s important to my student is a combination of a school that does interesting research in chemical (or bio or biomed) engineering. They are not completely sure chemical is it. And they want to go to a cool location that isn’t in the South or anywhere cold. Cost is a small factor.

Thanks for all your replies - and yes I realize this still not be more precise but just checking to see in anyone has any insight. I’m researching other sources as well.

Thanks!

You can do Chem E anywhere and get a great job so the school brand doesn’t matter but UVA is fine. It’s not Delaware for ChemE but solid.

Close to home could be good at holiday time. But if they don’t leave school otherwise it doesn’t matter.

I’d go UVA if Rodman appeals as it’s special. But it doesn’t matter on these three. All will get great outcomes as will many others. But Rodman is an experience and does that matter to the student ?

For Washington, Placement data | UW College of Engineering indicates that bioengineering had more first choice requests than admits (i.e. it is selective in secondary admission), but chemical engineering is the other way around (i.e. it seems to take rejects from other majors in secondary admission).

1 Like

I think it does - I am more of an extrovert and would have hated it - but they are quieter and have a group of friends who are similar. They are very smart but sometimes get overlooked. Rodman could be good for that.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.