UW vs. a top private like Northwestern

<p>Hi everyone, I have been wrangling with a tough decision for quite some time now. I was accepted to Northwestern, the U of Chicago, and UW Madison. NU with financial aid and scholarships comes down to about 18k per year, while madison is about 9k (the U of C is about 26k). I was wondering if the prestige and academic reputation of a private school like NU is worth an extra 36k over the course of an undergrad degree. Will UW be a lot easier to get a high GPA? Will I get a lot better post-graduate job if I go to NU? I'm not sure what I'll be doing yet, probably a business program (I got into the business scholars program at Madison). I've visited all three schools, and the campuses weren't really a big factor any way, i liked all three. thank you</p>

<p>First of all- finances, does it make a difference? Next, look at the overall feel of the campus- Northwestern is much more conservative than UW for example. Academics- you can get a good education at all of them, with name recognition outside their area. Being private does not confer the prestige, the academic programs do, some publics outshine many privates. Your grades will depend on you at any school you attend, do not focus on them but rather on the learning available to you. Make lists of the factors, weigh them and rank them, then see which one comes out ahead. If a large debt is a factor consider that strongly- no school is worth lifestyle limitations/job choices because you are paying off huge loans. Consider the student body you want to associate with, you are choosing a lifestyle for the next four years. You have some homework to do this weekend, there is no right answer a stranger can give you. Good luck.</p>

<p>Ditto wis75. </p>

<p>Now, if you are interested in econ. Go UC. Period. Then UW (a top 10 department) if $ is an issue. For specific business fields, e.g. accounting and real estate, pick UW or UC. NU doesn't offer any business major but I believe you may take some classes at Kellogg.</p>

<p>Based on anecdotal stories, I believe freshman experience in NU is more instrumental than the other two to help you figuring out what's next. </p>

<p>UC and, to some degree, NU attract certain top MC/IB/PE firms who don't usually recruit in Madison. So, that may worth something.</p>

<p>Try pick a supportive place that you really like and will do well. Best of luck.</p>

<p>I don't think it's particularly easy to keep a high GPA at any of those schools -- all require lots of work. I also can't imagine two campuses that are less alike than Northwestern's and UW's -- Madison is so much more spread out, social, free-wheeling. There is also the major difference between 29,000 undergrads and 7,000. Do you have the kind of personality that can be assertive enough to stand out in the crowd and get the help/attention you need?
You will probably have better relationships with professors at NU. You will probably have an amazing experience living and going to school in Madison -- again, if that environment suits you. You will be positioned to get a really good job at either place, but a lot of that will depend on you.</p>