Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Right. I carry my yellow card with my passport and yes, I have been asked to show it. I have a copy of my vaccine card with my passport as well.

You weren’t vaccinated against whooping cough?

1 Like

For some reason, the default 10-year booster is still Td, not Tdap (T = tetanus, d = diptheria, ap = acellular pertussis or whooping cough), even though the immunity from the acellular pertussis vaccine does not seem to be that long lasting.

You may want to ask specifically for Tdap instead of Td when you get that booster.

3 Likes

It wears off. Both my mom and H caught it due to being unaware they needed boosters. I escaped because I had a tetanus booster that came with it a couple years prior. I went to get the tetanus booster, not the whooping cough one.

1 Like

I was vaccinated as a child. Those vaccines don’t last forever.

3 Likes

The vaccine is not 100% effective. A boy in our elementary school was vaccinated (mother is a nurse) and he got a terrible case of it. Another family all (kids) got chickenpox, as did their cousins after a joint vacation. Terrible cases, not lessened by being vaccinated.

My sister (65) just got a reminder from her doctor that she needs a booster DTaP (the office didn’t have any when she was there). My daughter was asked the question when she got her covid, and it is past time for her DTaP. And mine. And Pneumonia. I’m just a walking chemistry experiment in my old age.

Many people who were first vaccinated for measles in the mid 60’s need a booster. One of my brothers is in that group but I bet he never gets it.

That’s why many are still wearing masks after vaccination. The covid vaccine, like the others, is not a magic suit that keeps covid out. It sure helps, but it is not a golden ticket to do anything you want.

ps The fact that H had whooping cough and I escaped due to my being unexpectedly boosted for it is another data point about how vaccines work, and for me, made a big point of that fact. He had trouble sleeping and living normally for weeks with that cough. It sounded awful. Yet me, right next to him, had nothing.

I’ll have no problem getting a Covid booster once one seems necessary.

1 Like

Perhaps you should consider a more accurate description. Paranoia generally involves irrational, delusional, and potentially harmful behavior. Medically vulnerable people are not being “COVID-paranoid” when they wear masks, nor are those who come into contact with medically vulnerable people. This goes whether or not they are vaccinated.

1 Like

Thank you for the info about the whooping cough vaccine. I had no idea it wears off. My shots have always been DPT boosters
last time because I was traveling to a third world country.

I think I need to ask my PCP if I’m due for another. Last ones were 2011.

I have absolutely no problem with boosters!

2 Likes

Adult Td or Tdap boosters are recommended every 10 years. Specify Tdap if you want pertussis vaccine included, because the default seems to be Td, at least if you have had Tdap before.

This would be your year!

I did read it, and then quoted what I thought was essentially bland statistics.

My mistake in miss-attribution but the link was provided only for those who did want to read for themselves. Guardian isn’t the BBC but I think it’s editorial slant is in the same direction
 not Fox, or NewsMaxx, for instance.

Different authors but similar piece, from the WSJ:

Speaking of the WSJ, today’s print edition reported that the CDC reported essentially no US deaths amongst the vaccinated.

There was a pertussis outbreak locally a few years ago. Several of my friends have since been told by their pregnant offspring that they couldn’t see the baby until after they got a TDaP shot or baby had the complete series. The ultimate motivator!

2 Likes

Has anyone else noticed the current rise in cases is a mere 10 days after July 4th (at this point)? Any guesses on where a lot of the transmissions likely happened? (sarcastic question)

I liked it a lot better when the case numbers were decreasing. At least at the moment my state of PA is not in the top half for new cases like we pretty much always were prior to vaccines.

1 Like

I do know one person I’d consider “Covid paranoid”. She seldom leaves her house anymore and wears a mask when going outside her home in an area where she sees no one within 1000 feet ever ( she only goes at tines of the day when almost no one outside in her quiet suburban area. She also wears a mask in her car for her few trips on the chance that Covid could permeate thru “ the cars air exchange” She won’t eat prepared food at all and won’t eat any food until it’s sat in her house for 36 hours . There is no rationality to this behavior and it’s life limiting. She was a bit of a germaphobe before but this has pushed her over the edge.

Our pediatrician strongly advocated boosters of the pertussis vaccine for our kids around age 12 or so. She explained this as a public health need for those too young to be vaxxed more than to protect them. My kids eagerly rolled up their sleeves.

1 Like

I don’t think @ucbalumnus was referring to anecdotal outliers . . .

While medically vulnerable (to COVID-19) persons can be expected to be “COVID-paranoid”, it does appear that, at least in some areas, the percentage of “COVID-paranoid” people is far higher than the percentage of medically vulnerable people.

Forbes Article

I had to get a tetanus shot a while ago and the doctor said they should go ahead and give me the full Tdap while I was there since I hadn’t had one.

2 Likes

My son and his wife required a pertussis booster for anyone that wanted to hold their new baby.

5 Likes