Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Being laid up in bed for a day or two is a better alternative to what could happen to you or those around you that will be protected by you being vaccinated.

5 Likes

I heard from a doc that if you have had covid already it might hit you like a truck. Happened similarly to friend who just had Moderna shot so I don’t think that reaction just depends on which vaccine you receive.

Anybody had an antibody test?

1 Like

Yep, I think they are virtually identical. The MRna has to make the exact same protein.

1 Like

When we were making appointments we specifically booked at location that was administering Pfizer. My only rational is that that the vaccine that was mostly administered in Israel and showed very promising results. Also Each dose of Pfizer’s contains 30 micrograms of vaccine. Moderna went with a much larger dose of vaccine, 100 micrograms. It means the company is using a little more than three times as much vaccine per person as Pfizer is. And yet, they aren’t getting better results.

1 Like

Pfizer veteran here, a few weeks back, due to my work with Covid in critical care. Side effects were minor, fatigue a day or two after in the evenings. Regarding the comment about an RN thinking she was protected with her PPE. Well, we are, but it can take one small slip up, or too much exposure. I have been coughed on by Covid patients plenty, as the very sick ones are always coughing, and been fine. So many health care workers have died in the pandemic, in Italy, Wuhan and NY, and I was really scared of dying when first caring for Covid last spring. We were using our PPE in such different ways than previous standards, reusing N95s for days, keeping face shields for months, and it was hard to know what was truly safe. I had co workers quit due to risk. My fear has lessened over time. But the cherry on that fear decreasing is getting the vaccine and knowing I won’t die of Covid. Covid is no fun, and the people who are survivors, but so compromised, trust me, a vaccine is a piece of cake comparatively.

I was gratified to talk to my sister tonight who had her first Moderna dose a few days ago As a child she over reacted to every vaccine, had convulsions to one, and can have a hyper reactive immune system, but she was fine aside from the typical sore arm.

10 Likes

That sounds rough. On the up side, it sounds like you may be a Covid-fighting superhero machine! Maybe consider donating plasma later on if you are up for it.

@great_lakes_mom thanks for mentioning your sister who, like me, has an overreactive immune system. Very helpful post for me, personally, so thanks.

2 Likes

If you want to see vaccine enthusiasm and reluctance rates among various demographics, you can check them here:

As of January 11-18, 2021:

Already got or want to get it ASAP:
Highest: 66% of age 65+, 64% of Democrat
Lowest: 32% of Republican, 35% of Black

Wait and see:
Highest: 43% of age 18-29, 43% of Black
Lowest: 21% of age 65+, 26% of White, 26% of Democrat

Only if required:
Highest: 10% of age 18-29, 9% of Hispanic, 9% of Republican, 9% Independent (no political party)
Lowest: 1% of age 65+, 4% of Democrat

Definitely not:
Highest: 25% of Republican, 21% of Rural
Lowest: 5% of Democrat, 8% of age 65+, 8% of Urban

3 Likes

I had mentioned upstream that my 28 year old S doesn’t want to get the vaccine. I’m not thrilled, but he has reasons that are important to him. He said that the state wants to require all workers in his (highly regulated) business to get vaccines. He is not pleased. I told him that it will be many months before they will be at a point where there will be an adequate supply to push that requirement. He works in a lab, and he doesn’t have public interaction. Not sure why the state wants to mandate vaccines for them, other than because they want to continue to regulate all they can in that industry. But I want my vaccine before they try to force healthy young people who are not on the “front lines” to get vaccinated 
 especially since I am close to last on the list as it is.

Are you sure that this is not a misinterpretation of the state placing working in that industry or job type at a higher priority level to be offered the vaccine?

It seems unlikely that there will be any requirement to get the vaccine under emergency use authorization, or before everyone has been offered the vaccine.

That was really interesting to read and sift through - thanks for posting it!

@ucbalumnus, he didn’t misunderstand. He is very much on top of the regulatory environment in his industry. They won’t be pulled ahead of groups, as far as he knows. It’s more of a down-the-road kind of thing. I don’t believe they would require vaccination before “everyone” is vaccinated. However, just the fact that the regulatory agency raised the possibility bothered S, who is allergic to a lot of weird things.

Wow, they can politicize anything nowadays, unfortunately reinforcing stereotypes and furthering divisions.

2 Likes

Med school lad sent us this:

I love it!

9 Likes

Let’s focus on the original question posed (quoted above) instead of debating metric of various studies.

3 Likes

I know nurses who are careful as can be at work. Then I see photos of them on Facebook and it’s obvious they are not being even remotely careful once they get home.

Or people think they are being very careful, but in reality, they are still seeing “just a few” relatives or others from outside of their household. There probably are very few people infected who TRULY did EVERYTHING right. My own DH thinks he is very careful, but I’ve witnessed him forgetting to maintain distance, or thinking if he maintains distance he doesn’t need the mask. It’s frustrating, and at times, infuriating. I came into the house one day when we had workers inside and he was in fairly close proximity, not wearing his mask. I said “What are you DOING???” He said “well, I needed to take that phone call.” I responded, “Oh, you’re right, my mistake, you can’t get Covid if the phone call you take is REALLY IMPORTANT.”

I will take the vaccine the minute I can get it. If it turns Covid into nothing more than a cold, that’s a huge HUGE deal for the world. DH says he wants to wait a bit and see how things go. He’s not anti-vaxx, he just doesn’t make the effort. He got his first flu vaccine this year-yes, his first EVER.

8 Likes

My BIL is on the front lines addressing this issue with his police officers in Houston:

Last week, when I got my physical, I asked a health care worker if she had gotten the vaccine, and she said she wanted to wait a few years. I told her this is not a new virus, and the science upon which the vaccine was developed is a long-existing science. I also told her, “I’ve had both of my vaccines and look at me, my hair is still on my head, my pulse is good, my all my vitals are great. So far so good.” She laughed and said, “All right, I’ll give it a second thought.”

We’ve had more demand so far than we have supply, but once we get everybody that’s volunteered, I’m actually contemplating making it a requirement for all of our posts. That’s something that I’m already reviewing with our legal team, because I really believe that as first responders, we’re not only putting ourselves at risk, but we’re putting the public at risk if we don’t get the vaccine.

8 Likes

Honestly I cannot understand these “Why I am getting Vaccinated” stories. Personally, I believe its self aggrandization. When we get to the point that we have more vaccine then people willing to take it then they can do a full court press.

Wow, right after I typed my response above, I got an email giving me an access code to use to get an appointment for the first dose of vaccine. I’m set to go tomorrow afternoon!

I’ve got less than 24 hours to develop last second vaccine reluctance, but I’m thinking chances are very low that I change my mind.

15 Likes

I think such (‘why I’m getting vaccinated’) stories can be extremely helpful from the pov of a person of color, particularly since so many politicians of color were throwing shade on the vaccines in the fall.

4 Likes