Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Fantastic musical clip above! Great voice!

The vaccine testimonials are a great teaching tool, and in a time of social distancing, stories add to a the feeling of positivity while we are isolated. If my FB post about the vaccine and lack of side effects helps someone reluctant to get it, the purpose is served. My supervisor, African American, did an educational seminar at her church, and she said it was received positively by some of the hesitant.

4 Likes

I had Covid back in December and am still dealing with after effects. I have eustachian tube dysfunction, Covid-caused GERD, and voice problems (I usually sing at my church). I will get a vaccine eventually but I am afraid of having a strong reaction to the vaccine and putting myself back into what seemed like a never-ending nightmare of illness. Because of that I will gladly wait until all the different vaccines are easy to get.

2 Likes

Get an antibody test.

If debate is not allowed, debate about race is certainly not allowed. The discussion is remaining open by the slenderest of threads. Let’s keep the discussion civil and dispense witn any snark.

5 Likes

If they really wanted people to get vaccinated they would lift restriction for those who already have. CDC lifted quarantine restrictions for those who are vaccinated, they need to lift the rest of the restrictions and they will motivate a lot more people to get vaccinated. Fauci is already saying they will have so much vaccine in April that ALL groups will be eligible.

I don’t think that is feasible at all. When people were not wearing masks last year in March, there were many confrontational issues.
Telling folks they don’t have to wear a mask because they’ve been vaccinated, would mean many would cheat and not wear a mask, despite not having a vaccine. Have you seen some of the posts of famous folks who say wear a mask and then there are photos of the same person in public without a mask? There seems to be a gap between what Fauci says and what actually happens. You can go back and see him talking about wearing a mask, not wearing a mask, etc.
Personally, I’d prefer everyone wear a mask until no one HAS to wear a mask. I don’t want to depend on other people following the rules or folks who think the rules don’t apply to them.

9 Likes

I understand the mask issue, but the travel restrictions, especially a negative test for coming in the U.S. :roll_eyes: Contemplating a negative test for all travel including domestic? Do you really need that if vaccinated, seems like a waste of resources.

2 Likes

I don’t know the science behind the decision, so I will leave that decision to the experts.

2 Likes

Ok, tell us when you figure out who they are.

1 Like

Okay. I have. Thanks for asking.

1 Like

I thought the vaccine only lessened the effects, not prevented you from getting it or being a carrier. If so, how would having the vaccine be a substitute for a negative test. It seems that it might not do anything to guarantee that you wouldn’t spread the virus.

3 Likes

I always get the flu shot and have never gotten the flu I THINK. It is very possible that I had what I thought were colds that were actually very mild cases of the flu that the vaccine tempered.

Covid vaccine may work the same way for all I know----a mild case is better than a case that becomes life-threatening.

For those who say “I won’t take the vaccine cuz I don’t know what’s in it”—unless you are an epidemiologist or biochemist, would a list of ingredients mean anything to you?

3 Likes

It is not known whether the vaccines reduce asymptomatic transmission, because that has not been checked in the trials.

6 Likes

So CNN posted an article where the CDC reported that fully vaccinated people no longer have to quarantine after exposure. However, toward the end of the article it said

“But the CDC says it’s not known how long protection lasts, so people who had their last shot three months ago or more should still quarantine if they are exposed. They also should quarantine if they show symptoms, the CDC said.”

Does this mean a vaccine might not provide protection after 3 months?

Lol, that was clear as mud, wasn’t it?

4 Likes

Or "ever eaten a hotdog or chicken nugget?

Although I did read there might be reaction to Pfizer if you’re allergic to PEG (like in Miralax)

1 Like

It means they don’t know for sure yet, so out of abundance of caution, you proceed as if you lose protection after 3 months until more is known.

3 Likes

It is not known how long protection from the vaccine lasts, since it has not been very long since people have gotten the vaccine. Only 3 months of protection is the worst case (other than a new mutant that the vaccine has no effect on). Given uncertainty, many people and organizations plan for the worst case, even though they may not consider the worst case as being the most likely case.

1 Like

I understand what they are saying. But it seems to fuel any misgivings people might have when there is so much they don’t know.

So you get a shot but only have 3 months of guaranteed immunity? I am sure they will know more as time goes on.

1 Like

I’m betting that the immunity gained from vaccines is going to be far better than these early recommendations would imply. It would be great if it turned out to be a year or more!