Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

yeah . . . I don’t buy it. DeSantis has been downplaying and slow-walking anti-covid efforts from the beginning. People like him are part of the why there are so many people posturing against vaccines, masks, science, etc.

3 Likes

I’m not sure I buy it either TBH, but giving him the benefit of the doubt with Covid rearing its ugly head in his state, even when he says vaccines are worth it, he has these over the top idiots condemning him.

ETA: Not “to each their own,” or anything similar, but active condemnation.

The parents I was talking about reacted, immediately, to a disease outbreak that changed their risk calculations. This was well before California eliminated the personal belief exemption for school attendance.

The larger point is that many of the vaccine reluctant will respond to changed circumstances when they won’t respond to persuasion. Those changed circumstances could be outbreaks, seeing family and friends get very sick or die, employer mandates, business mandates (“only vaxed can cruise with us”), or government mandates (eg, vaccination required to fly or to attend school in person).

1 Like

Prediction: Boosters recommended for ages 60 and up by August 15. Who’s taking the over and who’s taking the under?

2 Likes

While US folks are reluctant, vaccine tourists are spending up to 18K (!) to come here for vaxes. Good for them (and it has to be helping our economy)!

2 Likes

Before everyone starts off with pitchfork and torches in hand, please note that many plans give their members a discount for things like flu shot. Perhaps the same thing can apply to Covid shot. Kickbacks are not unusual at all, and this seems to be one example of how healthy decisions mean lower costs for YOU.

1 Like

Not sure if you are suggesting that irregular menstrual cycles cannot be a symptom of long-Covid, but they actually can: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/long-covid-and-periods-the-unspoken-impact-on-female-well-being
Can Covid-19 Affect Your Period?

2 Likes

We don’t hold people financially responsible for poor decisions/lifestyles that result in expensive health care bills. People smoke, do drugs, overdose, eat poorly, don’t exercise, are overweight/obese, over indulge in alcohol on a regular basis, ride motorcycles, drive too fast, drive drunk, and so forth.

6 Likes

We don’t know that - if anything I’ve read that the lockdowns and lack of air travel over the past year has contributed to some pretty stress filled and rude behavior. Perhaps people have forgotten how to behave civilly.

Completely anecdotal but we flew several times during the Pandemic and have flown several more times over the past few months. All of the confrontational events I’ve witnessed had to do with weather delays, not mask-wearing. And then there was that possible gang fight at Midway Airport, which was pretty interesting. Started in the ladies room, too.

Doctors and hospitals should treat people who are ill, vaccinated or not. To do otherwise is inhumane.

7 Likes

" This year, airlines have reported 3,615 incidents of unruly passengers, with most of the incidents — 2,666 — related to disputes over the mask mandate, according to the FAA"

The statistic is referenced to an FAA report (URL in the article).

4 Likes

Indirectly, they bear a portion of the costs, although the deductibles and copayments that they bear for injuries or sickness resulting from these choices are often only a small fraction of the total cost.

2 Likes

Most of the anti vaxxers tout that they shouldn’t have to get vaxxed because the vaccine is experimental. Following their logic, wouldn’t they also think that the treatments are experimental? Insurance companies usually don’t cover experimental treatments.

I get it’s illogical for insurance company to require vaccines but exclude treatment on the basis its experimental, but I’m sure you get the point.

And generally you’re right. I understand. This feels different. Its a lot easier to get a vaccine than eat low fat/whole foods or exercise 5 hours a week your whole life.

Having said that, your point is well taken.

Maybe they can just add a significant surcharge like they do if you are a smoker.

2 Likes

Thanks so much. I swear I’m getting forgetful in my old age.

She wanted to know if the vaccine caused menstrual problems. Sorry for the confusion. :crazy_face:

I thought that indicated some mistrust of the vaccine since she’s already had Covid. And was happy she did, as she got it over with!

Darn those statistics! So inconvenient. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

These incidents began long before most Americans even had access to the vaccine (started to be clocked as early as January). I’d be looking into mental health issues rather than vaccination.

Oh ok thanks for the clarification! Actually, there may be an association between the vaccine and changes in the menstrual cycle, but information seems more anecdotal at this point. Also, the side effect seems to be in the opposite direction of what the young woman in question was asking about. COVID-19 vaccines and periods: What do we know so far?

Totally agree with this.

And I have no idea how he/they live with himself/themselves.

1 Like

None of those are contagious though. We’re talking exponential growth of an extremely infectious agent, and constant coverage of said contagion so no one can claim ignorance. And most people catching covid now are the unvaccinated where the spread is rapid. Not a fair comparison to a being a drunk driver, being fat, an alcoholic or otherwise.

3 Likes

No mask requirements, no issues. If vaccinations required to travel by air these incidents would not happen.