Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Why would you take your mask off in the restroom?

3 Likes

Some things that people just might want to do in private - blow their nose, for instance? Or floss their teeth/check on a mouth or face sore in an area where they can then wash their hands? Haven’t heard that those things aren’t allowed. In fact, if you were to ask most flight attendants they would assure you that those things are perfectly fine to do in the restroom.

I flew throughout 2020 and have continued to fly now that nearly every seat is filled. No one’s allowed to line up to use the restroom - most people take care of their business in the airport these days (for the record, everyone’s wearing a mask around others in the ladies rooms I’ve been to, but I can’t vouch for what goes on within each stall).

Anyone can easily wipe down a surface area before they set to using the toilet. Each passenger is given hand wipes when they board and most people have a small sanitizer on them. It’s courteous to clean up your water mess as well, of course.

Haven’t checked this but I know that the FA’s clock who’s in the bathroom - perhaps they wipe them down as well.

So I’m a tad skeptical that people are catching Covid by using the airline restroom on their own. Most are more likely to catch it from the loud guy two seats over talking about how he hasn’t traveled in 18 months. ETA: or in the TSA line, where not everyone respects the 6 foot distance.

1 Like

I also think that most of the cases of infection in airports are in the line to get on the plane, when people are crowding when they are in the process of deplaning, when they are getting up from the window seat, etc. Nobody is really getting sick from viruses from the air that is recycled in the plane. In some cases, they can get it from contaminated surfaces.

Masking on the airplane likely prevents infections in these situations, including reducing contamination of surfaces other than one’s immediate surrounding, which are sterilized before anybody else sits there. Masking while sitting does prevent infections caused by the two loudmouths @JBStillFlying described.

Depends on whether they happen to be eating while talking! At least some airlines have re-introduced snax and drinks on the flight and of course a good number of passengers bring food on board. Everyone’s supposed to be discretely taking a bite or a swig and then pulling that mask back in place, but that’s not consistent and the FA’s can’t be everywhere to enforce it.

Here’s more folks I wouldn’t shed any tears over, but at least they let customers know. We’d be among the 3 in 10 choosing other services. I wonder if it really is just 3 in 10?

1 Like

But do they promise not to clean their taxis between rides? Will the driver cough on you by request and are the windows permanently closed? I mean, they shouldn’t be going about it half-heartedly.

6 Likes

Just saw this one too:

and I wonder what was up with them that 4 of the 6 who died were under 35. That seems unusual, even if it’s the Delta variant. If, as the pastor said, they were otherwise healthy, what would put 4 of them in the grave within 10 days? A different variant? Something else more deadly about this particular episode? I hope it’s being investigated further.

From the same article:

“Another 15 to 20 members of the church have been hospitalized with the virus, while others have tested positive but were not hospitalized, including a few vaccinated members.”

At least those vaccinated who tested positive weren’t hospitalized if I’m reading it correctly.

1 Like

That page does not explicitly say that all of the cases and deaths were related (e.g. by an outbreak in the church). If cases become more common, at least among the unvaccinated, then it is possible that church congregants could be getting it independently.

Sad—just heard that in one of our rural communities, vaccination rates are only about 30% while statewide it’s 70% of the population statewide are vaxed.

One of the contact tracers called 50 people and said only 1 of those infected had been vaxed. :weary::cold_sweat: She has worked in the community over 30 years and is very sad she can’t get folks to get vaxed. :hot_face::sob:

Because Delta is so different, why isn’t all of the old data thrown out the window? Why is CNN reporting CDC stats that say 99.999% of fully vaxxed people have not died?

They say 0.004% of fully vaxxed have contracted the virus and required hospitalization. What’s that, 1 in 25,000? So a fully vaxxed husband and wife shouldn’t be in a hospital in critical condition
but they are. Delta is so different.

1 Like

I would be tired of it, too. My sil works in a dental office, and she has to do the same thing. People are so used to getting away with it in so many places that they don’t want to comply anywhere.

1 Like

strange that half of Florida is vaccinated but numbers are high

That’s one of my pet peeves with the CDC’s guidelines – whatever might have worked for the original strain is going to work much less (or not at all) with Delta. 3’ apart social distancing “if practicable or feasible or whatever” isn’t enough social distancing. Any old mask isn’t enough. Contact tracing guidelines should be stricter.

Really? If half of the population is vaccinated, that leaves almost 11 million vulnerable to infection. Right now in FL roughly 19,000 people a day are getting infected, and that is enough to overwhelm the hospitals and medical system. That’s the whole (or very large) problem. It takes very few cases as a percentage of the population to completely overwhelm the hospital system. That is why herd immunity is so important. And that takes at least 70% and probably more like 90% with delta. The vaccines help significantly, but are not a get out of jail free card.

5 Likes

I get that 
but with half the population vaccinated and millions with prior covid and antibodies, why are we still seeing these numbers? What more is going on?

49% vaccinated and %59 with at least one dose

Most cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are among those without any prior immunity*. Delta is very contagious, so it is finding plenty of targets among that portion of the population. It probably takes around 90% prior immunity to stop the spread, but that is not likely to be the case now.

*From vaccination or prior infection, though vaccination against or prior infection with older variants may be a bit less effective against Delta.

3 Likes

^That’s because almost everyone in Israel is vaccinated. Therefore, while the odds of an unvaccinated person getting covid are much, much higher, covid isn’t finding them in high numbers in Israel. It still exists and as a result Delta spreads to the people it can, more slowly and without as much impact, but it spreads among those it can.
If 0.1% vaccinated people and 30% unvaccinated people are affected by Delta, when vaccinated people=95% population, the raw number is higher but the risk is very different for the two groups.

4 Likes

It still doesn’t explain why vaccinated people are hospitalized at all

1 Like