Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Agree - but my kid’s school allows you to wait 90 days before getting the jab. It’s a “recent Covid” exemption and I haven’t seen it mentioned elsewhere. In limited circumstance they do allow a modification to that as well. All exemptions are determined on a case-by-case basis and students so exempted would need to comply with other mitigation measures including mandatory testing (vaxxed are not required to test at this time).

ETA: Oops - forgot my question: was wondering if 90+ days is a recommended wait time before getting vaccinated.

Apparently the 100 dollar payments work. Six fold increase in daily vaccines since they were announced here. Whatever it takes.

4 Likes

Not sure about that. No details on how the poll was specifically conducted. Not even clear if it’s representative of the physician community w/r/t type of practice.

According to CDC, you should wait 90 days if you were treated with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma for COVID-19.
Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 Vaccination | CDC.

1 Like

The AL doc said he doesn’t want to see any more die like that. That was his stated reason as reported to the press. Did they edit what he actually said? Not sure. But there was no mention of health and safety of his patients. As reported, it was about him.

Maybe he’s concerned about his own emotional or mental health.

2 Likes

That is entirely possible; in which case a long vacation might be in order! Again, no ethicist or medical expert here so I’d be curious to know whether it’s consistent with his hippocratic oath and profession’s established ethics to carve out a subset of patients who happen to upset him. Would that open the door for medical personnel to refuse treatment to those with differing political or personal views from one’s own? Or who practice a lifestyle that the doctor doesn’t agree with or approve of?

The effectiveness of BNT162b2, ChAdOx1, and mRNA-1273 vaccines against new SARS-CoV-2 infections requires continuous re-evaluation, given the increasingly dominant Delta variant. We investigated the effectiveness of the vaccines in a large community-based survey of randomly selected households across the UK. We found that the effectiveness of BNT162b2 and ChAd0x1 against any infections (new PCR positives) and infections with symptoms or high viral burden is reduced with the Delta variant. A single dose of the mRNA-1273 vaccine had similar or greater effectiveness compared to a single dose of BNT162b2 or ChAdOx1. Effectiveness of two doses remains at least as great as protection afforded by prior natural infection. The dynamics of immunity following second doses differed significantly between BNT162b2 and ChAdOx1, with greater initial effectiveness against new PCR-positives but faster declines in protection against high viral burden and symptomatic infection with BNT162b2. There was no evidence that effectiveness varied by dosing interval, but protection was higher among those vaccinated following a prior infection and younger adults. With Delta, infections occurring following two vaccinations had similar peak viral burden to those in unvaccinated individuals. SARS-CoV-2 vaccination still reduces new infections, but effectiveness and attenuation of peak viral burden are reduced with Delta

Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 Vaccination | CDC suggests a 90-day waiting period after recovery in some special cases (“treated for COVID-19 with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma”, or “if you or your child has a history of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in adults or children (MIS-A or MIS-C), consider delaying vaccination until you or your child have recovered from being sick and for 90 days after the date of diagnosis of MIS-A or MIS-C”). However, there is no other recommendation of waiting period.

Presumably, someone falling into these special cases and needing vaccination for college or whatever can get a temporary medical exemption for (the rest of) the 90-day waiting period.

2 Likes
1 Like

Everything I’ve read points to vaccine protection waning starting at 6 months so why did the CDC choose 8 months for a booster??

There is no sharp drop off of protection after 6 months. It gradually declines. The 8 months is what the experts decided is the best interval.

I believe the timing was determined by the White House. Dr. Fauci said the 8 month timing was needed to prepare the logistics, Pfizer suggested 6 to 12 months, and the CDC head said it seemed like 8 months was when the vaccine waned. It is an arbitrary date; the Israelis use 5 months, the Brits 6 months.

2 Likes

6, 8 or 12 months. I’ll take a booster when I am allowed.

5 Likes

While you indicate, repeatedly, that you are no medical ethicist, you seem to be trying to make a case against this doctor based on no other information beyond a press account of his honest and humane expression that he cannot continue to watch his patients suffer and die from an eminently preventable disease.

• He wants his patients to live. How is that not mentioning the “health and safety” of his patients?
  • He indicated, happily, that his policy had resulted in a number of his patients getting the vaccine, thus potentially saving their lives and the lives of others. How is that not mentioning the “health and safety” of his patients?
  • He did not limit his comments to only those patients refusing the vaccine. So how do you conclude he wasn’t concerned with the health and safety of other vaccinated patients?

The best way to protect the “health and safety” of all his patients is to get them vaccinated. It may be an unconventional approach, but in this regard the doctor was successful for at least some of his patients.

5 Likes

What people seem to be seeing as a sharp drop-off at six months is likely much more due to the characteristics of the Delta variant*, which replaced the Alpha variant in June/July (six months after the first vaccines started being given).

*Higher viral loads and therefore greater amounts of virus to share with others, somewhat less neutralization by antibodies from vaccines or previous infection by earlier variants.

2 Likes

The family is apparently refusing to talk about her vaccination status. On the crowdfunding site where you lose the money if you lie they’ve said nothing about it after claiming on other social media sites that she was vaxxed and that you shouldn’t trust vaccines. While original stories said everyone was vaccinated, The NYT stories have remained silent apparently because they can’t get confirmation from the cruise line or the family that she was in fact vaxxed. There is something a little odd about the whole thing. Oh and Houston newspaper now reporting that she was symptomatic prior to cruise and lied about it.

3 Likes

Trying to understand vaccine reluctance

I thought this was a really good piece about an area of the country with one of the lowest vaccination rates. Very sad.

Here’s an interesting cut on the explanation for anti-vax attitudes. Definitely not a full explanation, but interesting.

2 Likes

I would suspect the 50+% of the Black community that is unvaccinated would be surprised to learn they are white supremacists.

I am extremely pro vaccination but believe hyperbole, name calling and condescension serves only to polarize. This article checks all three boxes.

10 Likes