Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

A car will hit its legs and the moose can come straight through the windshield. Not good.

1 Like

That happened to a lady with a deer not too far from here. The lady didn’t make it, though it wasn’t for lack of an ER.

A moose, I mean, a Møøse once bit my sister.

1 Like

Moose and deer are actually quite hazardous and can cause injury to the driver and passengers if your car happens to hit them. Our area doesn’t see moose but we have a ton of deer in the fall and it makes night driving a bit of an unnerving experience. If you see one, there are usually many more that you can’t see and any of them can jump out. Best to slow way down and give yourself time to hit the brakes.

Don’t most city hospitals have organ transplant and cardiac units set aside for those circumstances? Are those admitted for (not just with) Covid taking over those units as well?

As to the kid with the attack of appendicitis, they should have gone to the pediatric hospital to begin with, even if it means calling 911 and getting transported via EMT. Regular hospitals will have fewer pediatricians on call and you can’t be assured of proper triage. A child in pain will be high priority for a pediatric hospital and the patient won’t have to compete with gunshot victims, drug overdoses, suicide attempts, elderly with breathing problems, and the myriad other things that fill up the grownup ICU ward in a regular year.

911 wouldn’t transport our kids to a children’s hospital at first. The nearest one is over an hour away in a different state. The closest in-state is 1:45 away, though a better one is a little over 2 hours away. Standard procedure is to come here first and then be life-flighted elsewhere if necessary. I’m glad I don’t have young kids anymore. (younger S was almost life flighted when he got RSV at 1 week old. If his O2 stat was < 80, off he went. He stayed at 80.)

But on a different note, the unvax’d tech who exposed vax’d H 3 weeks ago has been back at work. H says she still looks like death. (She is in her 40s.) She told another co-worker that she would rather give birth every day for the rest of her life than go through this again.

Vax’d co-worker just got back from having a breakthrough case from his middle school aged son. He said he just had a bad headache and some congestion for a few days. I would be OK with that (though prefer to skip it all together!!!)

3 Likes

What are your thoughts?

DH and I are fully vaxxed (2nd shot by late March). Going to a wedding this weekend (leaving tonight) for our friends’ son’s wedding in CA (all functions are outside, but we will be inside to eat dinner tomorrow with our fully vaxxed friends). Just learned that our friends’ sister’s husband has canceled because he has Covid. I don’t know if he and his wife (herein referred to as Sister) were vaccinated. Sister was tested and tested negative. She plans to attend. We are all on the same flight. I don’t know if Sister was vaccinated. By my observations of her FB page, she has never taken the pandemic all that seriously-lots of pics with her and her friends, all unmasked, even back in the early days. It’s a miracle she didn’t get Covid pre-vaccine days.

Sister will be at all the functions of this wedding, as it is her dear nephew getting married. I like her. She’s nice, and lots of fun, and of course is immediate family to our friends.

How would you handle this? I think it will be obvious if I don’t come within 10 yards of her all weekend.

If you were Sister, how would you have handled this?

If I’m Sister, and my husband who I lived with tested positive NOW and the event is within a couple of days I think she should stay home. I mean she can get tested daily through the wedding period - but the timeline here seems very tight from when he tested positive to when she is jumping on a plane for this event with MANY people.

2 Likes

Yea, sister should be quarantined now unless she already has and is out and tested negatively.

If that is not the situation I would decline the invitation.

I apologize if I’ve already relayed this story. Our neighborhood has a bunco group. Since vaccinations it was decided to start meeting again. The person hosting sent an email, she had a breakthrough case of Covid. She was out of quarantine but her husband and kids wouldn’t be until Monday morning. Bunco was Monday night, only women attend but the host said she understood if people were uncomfortable coming.

An email was sent hours later that bunco was canceled

To answer another topic, I am personally uncomfortable with blaming a parent for taking their sick child to the incorrect hospital. Feels like victim blaming to me honestly and I hope we can refrain from doing that to those who are blameless

4 Likes

This is absolutely infuriating to me–people choosing not to vax and then using connections to find ECMO treatment (or ICU bed) in some other area.

5 Likes

If I was the sister, I would have cancelled. She should cancel. She should be in quarantine. One test a few days ago doesn’t mean she is not contagious today or this weekend. I assume she’s still living with covid H? That alone means she’s being exposed every day.

Being you, the call is tougher. I am vaccinated and am pretty much operating under the assumption that I’m being exposed everywhere I go. Our daily case rate is around 70 per 100K. I work in the office and H teachers in an elementary school. But we are relatively young and don’t have any major issues.

If I stayed masked indoors and separated from most people outdoors I should be ok. I wouldn’t eat inside with her or be unmasked inside with her or be inside with her at all if she wasn’t masked. I would decline those events. But then again, anyone might be contagious in those same circumstances. It’s a judgement call that I would base on the number of people inside, the size of the room, and especially the volume of air in the room, and how long I would be in that environment.

If I was older or had other medical issues, I would be more cautious.

Can you ask your friend that she insist that sister get tested the day before the flight? Or a rapid test the day of the flight?

3 Likes

What is super frustrating but becoming commonplace is that if Sister just makes the decision and stays home, problem is solved. Sorry Sister that you have to miss the festivities but health of humans is more important than missing a party.

But instead look at all the steps affected here. You are worried about a flight with her, talking to her, being in her presence. A busy bride/groom parents have to consider asking Sister to take additional COVID tests. People at the wedding who don’t know the situation will be innocently exposed when it could have been avoided.

WHY do people put others in these circumstances!??

(if someone had the flu and was vomiting all day wouldn’t they probably make the decision to stay home from a wedding that night? I don’t know why COVID precautions don’t make the same standard with people?!!)

Getting COVID is most often not shameful! We come in contact with people, we try our best but sometimes life and jobs will present the perfect storm to contract it. That’s ok and not shameful. What can be shameful is the way you respond once you become a statistic.

5 Likes

This is me sounding off now. :slight_smile:

Why do those who are vaccinated worry so much (I know I do) about confrontation with
potential unvaccinated in terms of asking if they are vaccinated, holding back hugs, worry about hurting feelings or ourselves feeling generally awkward?!

Choosing to not get a vaccination is in most cases exactly that - a choice! Choices have consequences - sometimes good and sometimes bad. If a vaccinated person has to experience feeling on the spot or bad or whatever because of that choice, that is just a natural logical consequence of their choice.

It’s a hard soapbox to stand on sometimes.

7 Likes

I think Sister should not attend the wedding and should be in quarantine with the husband. She may have tested too early after exposure and that’s why she had a negative test. I hope the wedding is not the one we are going to this weekend (just kidding!).

2 Likes

And why did my ill aunt allow her unvaccinated pregnant granddaughter take her to urgent care on Saturday, then let an unvaccinated cousin take her to the ER on Monday? It’s mind blowing.

2 Likes

I agree that Sister should stay home. I am not at all surprised that she isn’t. I’m hoping she’s vaccinated because her elderly parents (vaccinated) will be at the wedding, same flight.

It’s a fair point that I could be exposed to other individuals with Covid, whether breakthrough or not. There is no way DH will cancel. If he goes without me, it’s the same as me going anyway.

I’m going to just try to avoid her. But I agree that she is not acting prudently. Her FB page showed her cheek to cheek with friends unmasked all during the pandemic. I’m hopeful she was vaccinated-she’s very close with her mom, so I think she might have gotten it if for only that reason.

@abasket, it’s the usual thing where the reasonable person looks like the bad guy.
My sister asks to borrow my car, I say, “No” and am the bad guy;
My cousin asks to borrow $1000, I say, “NO” and am the bad guy;
My MIL asks me a nosy personal question I either don’t answer or make a point of it being rude, either way, I am the bad guy.

In our culture, somehow, calling inappropriate people on their actions often can make you the bad guy unless you are incredibly glib and well-prepared to do it just right. Often the result is because the person forward enough to ask you something that personal, etc., is also rude enough to make you out to be the bad guy.

9 Likes

I hate being so distrustful of people, but I have a granddaughter to protect. My friend lost her son to an overdose recently, and the memorial service is this weekend. I know it will be packed, and I just can’t trust that everyone there will have made good choices in the last two weeks. I feel awful not going, but I just can’t.

6 Likes

That’s the case sometimes. We’ve done it both ways over the years, depending on location and circumstance, and have nearly always had our kids triaged behind adults with less urgent issues (but more advanced age) at the regular hospital. The post in question implied that the child would have been admitted to emergency care at the regular hospital had there not been so many Covid patients in the ICU. And that may well be true. But it’s also the case that the triage would not have been correct or that the appendix could burst while waiting for the pediatrician on call to get over to see the kid. Hard to know either way - that’s why getting to the pediatric hospital is typically better - but you are correct it’s conditioned on distance. Our nearest children’s hospital is significantly farther from our house than our local community hospital but our pediatrician has always recommended getting to the pediatric hospital over the regular hospital. The staffing and experience is just better, and the overcrowding less likely at any time. Unlike the regular hospital, pediatric ED’s tend not to be filled with patients using the emergency department for their healthcare. The latter has been a problem for awhile now - well before the pandemic.

Um - no such “blaming” was intended. We all can look back and see how to do something better for the next time, for ourselves as well as our kids. I still marvel at having made what I thought was the correct decision about my broken fibula, only to be told by my doc upon my follow up visit that I had to have surgery the next morning and should have gotten to ER right away, instead of heading over to Urgent Care like I had done with a leisurely follow up at the orthopedic surgeon’s several days later. Live and learn. ETA: “blame” was never a part of the conversation or the thought process.

1 Like

If you call 911, you don’t usually get to pick the hospital you are taken to. Our Children’s Hospital is in another city/county. Even when it was in the same county, it wasn’t the hospital of choice for the EMTs. A child at our day care fell out of her wheelchair, and the ambulance was taking her to the nearest hospital. She was special needs and her mother insisted she go to Children’s. It took a lot of arguing to get them to do that.

Exactly. Nearly every local community has emergency transport protocols to follow. Might be worth looking up the protocol in your city/county.