Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

It’s gone beyond gargling Betadine. Now it’s inhaling nebulized hydrogen peroxide. Yeah, let’s destroy the lungs before covid gets a chance to, that’s the ticket.

1 Like

Not sure this belongs here, but we just took our second trip to Canada since August 9th (the date on which vaccinated Americans were allowed into Canada). On the first trip, we drove. The Canadians requires documentation of a negative PCR test within 72 hours of flying (interesting since labs often say 48-72 hours for results) but the US required nothing on return. We flew the second time, got our test to go to Canada. They checked our vaccine cards and test results at the check-in counter and at immigration (even though we had downloaded images of everything into the ArriveCan app (had the same experience when we drove). When did online checkin on Air Canada, it said that the US required PCR tests for returning vaccinated citizens. We didn’t actually have 72 hours but we found test sites right next to the airport who said, "Oh the US does not need PCR, they can use antigen tests, which we got. No one actually check for these. Not at the check-in, not at the gate, not at CBP. Spent $120 CAD per person and no one checked.

Why does it make sense to require a test for people who are flying in but not for people who are driving in? And, if they are not vaccinated, should you require them to quarantine?

If you want to persuade people to get vaccinated, shouldn’t the rules make sense?

1 Like

Oh maybe that’s what it was that I was reading.

Agree. Maybe it’s an FAA thing with the flying.

That’s the rule for all countries, when returning to the US you have to have a test (rules seem to change on what kind of test all the time). Maybe because you always need a passport to return by air but by land or sea you can use a passport card or the birth certificate/ID?

I’d take that outcome as a huge win.

6 Likes

That’s disappointing. Seems home would be a better place for them to eat.

1 Like

There are many reasons people don’t get vaccinated.

Just because you and many on this site don’t agree with it, doesn’t make you or them more intelligent.

I was recently had an appointment with my immunologist who does not recommend the vaccine and is horrified that they are pushing it on young kids.

You would probably call her a quack, but just because this is not commonly found on mainstream media, or via the current government, or this echo chamber, doesn’t make that so.

Personally, forcing people to get a medical procedure or be fired is a horrible trend for any government.

Many will be forced to do so for economic reasons, which is why it was mandated like that, but it certainly is not a policy that will bring this country together.

I’m sure this post will be attacked, or removed, or the thread will be closed after this post, because that is the world we live in now.

By the way, I am vaccinated, my kids, young adults, are vaccinated, but I know many who aren’t. I understand everyone’s reasoning and can respect that.

6 Likes

I would be interested to know about an immunologist who doesn’t recommend the vaccine. Can you provide her degrees and qualifications?

6 Likes

Any viewpoint is respected and as long as you are not attacking anyone, you will not get flagged.
I am concerned about your immunologist. They should not be “horrified”, unless maybe they are referring to the under 5 age group, since nothing has been suggested for them yet.
Even if they were not, there’s still the issue of them not recommending the vaccine. I suggest you contact your state’s medical board. Physicians who spread misinformation are subject to the possibility of having their license revoked and having their hospital privileges revoked. If you prefer, I can do it for you.

12 Likes

I don’t think being unvaccinated is necessarily a sign of intelligence. I think there’s a lot of mistrust. And I think some very effective marketing techniques and other, more distasteful methods have been used to convince people Covid isn’t real, the vaccines are dangerous, etc. In our area anti-vaxxers call pro-vaccination people “sheep” for getting vaccinated and the vaccinated insinuate those who aren’t vaccinated are stupid. I understand the frustration, but name calling and bullying aren’t appropriate and they don’t add anything useful to the discussion.

1 Like

My aunt’s reasoning is she doesn’t want the microchip, especially since all she needs to prevent Covid is some extra vitamin D.

My best friend’s husband’s reasoning is that “it’s just the flu” and there is a massive worldwide government conspiracy to classify “normal” deaths as Covid.

My inlaw’s reasoning is that scientists used recently aborted baby parts to make the vax.

My cousin’s reasoning is that she refuses to be controlled by the government. She is, however, willing to collect her government welfare check every week.

I could go on.

ZERO. Respect.

24 Likes

Do you have a link to this?

There are a small handful of reasons that make sense - medical allergies to components of the vaxxes being one of them.

Those based upon the vast amounts of misinformation out there definitely leave me shaking my head wondering how they draw their conclusions aside from having blinders on following leaders who promote them.

I saw a comment related to this. “People say, ‘mainstream media lies while assuming social media doesn’t.’”

7 Likes

That’s always what I wonder when I see references to the bias of the “mainstream media.” Where are those who reject outlets like the NYTimes as “fake news” getting their information, and what makes it more reliable?

6 Likes

You can do a search for the hydrogen peroxide thing. It’s all over the news.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article254493532.html

I’ve also recently heard of antivaxxers discouraging unvaccinated people from going to the hospital.

1 Like

I think her group of patients has more reason than the general public to be wary of vaccines, but her group is so much smaller than the group that is benefiting from vaccinations that that advice not to get vaxxed isn’t good for the whole world. For some of her patients, like you, getting a vax is the right decision so she shouldn’t be advising all to avoid it.

I believe that people can make their own decisions about the vaccine, but if they choose not to get it, they need to stay away from everyone else, be it school or work or shopping. The government (and private employers) are making decisions based on what is best for the community, not what is best for 1 or 2 people.

I was in one of the first groups to get the polio vax (on a sugar cube). My parents didn’t hesitate to have us vaxxed as they’d grown up with kids who’d had polio (or with those who’d lost children or siblings to polio). My youngest brother, born in 1966, was one of the first groups to get the measles shot; all the rest of us had had the measles, one brother at 6 months old. It was NOT a hard decision for my mother to vax the youngest even though it was a ‘new’ drug. My daughter was one of the first to get the chickenpox vax, in 1997. I did not feel she was a guinea pig, just that she was lucky to get the vax to reduce the severity should she get the virus. Just shorty after she got hers, I went to a funeral for a 3 year old who died from the chickenpox. NEVER questioned my decision to pump my 13 pound 1-year old full of all the chemicals in the world to protect her from disease.

4 Likes

This isn’t a new trend. Many healthcare and other workers must have certain vaccinations to stay employed. Some health care and other workplace settings require annual flu shots, and if an employee doesn’t get it by X date they are fired.

And a sideline to that…annual flu shots are tested in far fewer people each year than in the clinical trials of the 3 approved covid vaccines (not to mention the 100s of millions of people who have received these vaccines so far).

11 Likes

My work mandates the annual flu vaccine and annual TB skin test or blood draw. Now also covid vaccine, booster not mandated as of yet but they said they will be soon.

6 Likes

If they’re going to be mad, blaming doctors for the deaths due to not using Ivermectin, I support their not going. It also saves the government money and frees up space for other people with other health issues.

6 Likes

None of those things will happen, although you may have responses disagreeing with you. Any user who “attacks” in a disrespectful manner will have violated ToS, and the penalty would be on them, not you.

I can’t guarantee that nobody will flag. But just because a user flags a post does not mean the moderator will agree with the flag.

1 Like