Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

I think it’s more that “seeing is believing,” and no one literally sees what is happening inside their bodies.

Then too, it’s “years” down the road, so why worry now?

I feel fortunate that I was able to reason out the diet differences between my diabetic parents/aunts/uncles/grandparents and what was recommended and changed my diet significantly in college. My sibling did not. Three decades later there’s a huge difference in our health, diabetes being merely one of them. I’m so glad I did what I did - even if it happens to be a mere coincidence. She had the same info, but didn’t care.

So many people have had Covid (and will still get it) that I wonder how it’s going to affect our health systems down the road. It’s not my original idea. It came from my guy’s health system as it’s one of their concerns (probably health systems everywhere). But unlike diet, catching Covid isn’t always from bad choices, but other times, it certainly can be.

4 Likes

This is an interesting article on United Airlines post-mandate. It makes it pretty clear that the mandate is good for the business as a whole in terms of reducing employee absences and overall healthcare costs.

They’ve gone from one death a week to zero over the past 8 weeks, and zero hospitalizations to boot.

From a purely business perspective, it looks like if you can afford the temporary hit from the fired anti-vax workers, the business comes out stronger as a whole. A lot of those anti-vaxxers would be out sick anyway, so if you fire 100 for example, you’re not actually losing 100 productive employees but you are unloading a ton of healthcare costs and absentee workers.

16 Likes

This!!!

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. So I guess they should be pleased with themselves for firing unvaccinated employees. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Firing 200 out of 67,000 employees = only 0.3% !

Employees stopped dying, becoming hospitalized, taking COVID sick days, etc.

If only more corporations saw the advantages of vaccinated staff…

15 Likes

I was talking to a friend this week and she needed some workmen to come and fix a couple of windows. When talking to the person confirming the appointment, the woman asked my friend if anyone in her house had had COVID in the last 7 days. She responded no. However, when my friend asked if the workmen had had COVID in the last 7 days she was told that information could not be given out. Since she had to get the work done, she kept the appointment. However, if it had been something minor, she might have not allowed them to come in.

1 Like

@silverlady, we are doing a big renovation of our house and ask each workman (no woman thus far) if they are vaccinated and if they have had Covid recently. Our plumbers were delayed a week because one had Covid and the other was exposed. 10 days later, they are back.

One of our carpenter guys is a lovely guy but a rugged New Hampshire type (played college hockey and still plays 20? years later) and was sure he would be healthy. Never got vaccinated. Well, he was out for over two weeks with pneumonia and won’t let his wife, a nurse, test him for Covid. He isn’t allowed to talk with us. The construction is sealed off by wood and plastic from where we are living so we don’t even get construction dust. But, we don’t deal with him.

My sister got antibody tested because she is very high risk however, she had very bad reactions with both vaccines which landed her in the hospital. Her son got COVID and her doctor antibody tested her again last week and she had a high number (was supposedly good). Four days later she got COVID. She was released from the hospital, but is still in bad shape. I think just being careful is the answer. Vaccines, masks, and apparently high antibodies don’t seem to matter.

2 Likes

Another way Covid can get someone… this disease is full of surprises. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Sorry. He won’t let her test him for Covid. Sloppy writing on my part.

4 Likes

That’s at least better. Hardly great, but better.

3 Likes

Yeah, this is what I did when I had to have the solar-panels guy do the connection to the electrical panel inside the house. Zip poles, poly everywhere. They were handy later when my daughter came back from staying with her dad and was quarantining downstairs – no door, so up went the poles and poly again, meals delivered to the patio door.

At this point I’m just putting off whatever work needs doing or am doing it myself. Dab hand with a flapper valve now, and am grateful to the Kenmore vacuum manual-writer for their clarity. Like new. Fence guy came around and wanted $14K to replace the fence around a small yard, have decided maybe I don’t need sky-bearing walls anytimes soon, thx.

1 Like

We always joked that my kids were rarely sick when young because they had each been held by their 6 young cousins within the first 2 days of their births. :grinning:

Arthur Knight?
Arthur Knight.
I mean.

1 Like

From a business perspective the CEO has to look at an unvaxxed employee and think, “If you get covid, and you probably will, you might be out for months and potentially rack up a hospital bill of hundreds of thousands causing my insurance premiums to spike next year.”

Versus looking at a vaxxed employee thinking they’d probably just be out a week or two.

Then I guess you weigh the risk vs the benefit of having that unvaxxed employee on the payroll.

10 Likes

Companies always lose employees. I have often been frustrated when my clients do major downsizing and set it up so that those with the most external options (who are often the most productive and capable) leave. In this case, the force reduction would be around people who (pre-Covid) were probably not inherently more or less productive than their peers (though I would question their decision-making) but will on average be less productive because they are more likely to get sick and more likely to be hospitalized etc. I would work hard on keeping the other employees and hiring new ones.

Going forward, a firm could hire only vaccinated candidates. This would be like a firm that only hires non-smokers.

If a company can withstand the short-term loss of employees and their skills (taking into account that many of their unvaxxed employees will have to take time out due to Covid) and if you think that Covid will last beyond Omicron, then it would probably be a prudent business decision for many companies to adopt a mandatory vax policy.

4 Likes

Some employers which have had many employees working from home all or most of the time since March 2020 appear to be adding policies requiring vaccination for those who want to come to the workplace.

4 Likes

when we had to have work done last year (roof leak that damaged an inside wall), they used plastic to block off the dust, and I made sure every window in the house remained wide open all day. Fortunately, we live in SoCal so it was never super cold.

Dumb question. Can employers only hire non smokers?